Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

tuanvo

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

I am thinking of getting a one of those halogen clip-on desk lamps to latch onto my C-stand when I shoot in the studio... Or maybe even some kind of flashlight since it would be more portable. I would like something that is capable of shrinking the subjects pupils in situations where there is not enough ambient light or when I would not be able to use a modeling lamp.

I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have ideas?

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM
rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Why would your modelling lights not be available?

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:42 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

I would just accomplish it with the modeling lights, shining a flashlight on desk lamp at your subject is not going to look very professional or inspire confidence. my thoughts anyway.

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:54 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

I use an Einstein. If I shoot outdoors at the night, I would be forced to hook up the strobe to my Vagabond Mini power source. The instructions say not to use the modeling lamp unless plugged into an outlet.

Nov 27, 2013 at 04:37 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

I guess a flashlight would work, once you rig it to point at the subject. Note that battery-powered flashes do exist with modelling lights - mine is the Profoto AcuteB 600.

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:03 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

rico wrote:
Note that battery-powered flashes do exist with modelling lights - mine is the Profoto AcuteB 600.

That is great! I didn't know such a thing was possible. I guess I know what to save up for in the future.

rico wrote:
I guess a flashlight would work, once you rig it to point at the subject.

Do you know if any cheap LED flashlight would do? Would I require a certain power rating?

Nov 27, 2013 at 08:07 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

tuanvo wrote:
I am thinking of getting a one of those halogen clip-on desk lamps to latch onto my C-stand when I shoot in the studio... Or maybe even some kind of flashlight since it would be more portable. I would like something that is capable of shrinking the subjects pupils in situations where there is not enough ambient light or when I would not be able to use a modeling lamp.

Modeling lights can quickly drain the battery on portable strobes, so your idea is a sound one. My suggestion would be a battery-powered video light on the camera.

Here's one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480363-REG/Canon_1729B001_VL_10Li_II_On_Camcorder.html

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:28 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Or look into this on Amazon

Nov 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

You could try turning the lights in your studio on and not shoot in the dark.

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

tuanvo wrote:
I use an Einstein. If I shoot outdoors at the night, I would be forced to hook up the strobe to my Vagabond Mini power source. The instructions say not to use the modeling lamp unless plugged into an outlet.

You can get a 25 watt modeling lamp for the Einstein from Buff - it's offered specifically for use with the VML.

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tuanvo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

@BrianO: That looks pretty nice, but a tad bit pricey solution. That unit will run me $90, but I'll have to buy a battery that will run me another $75.

@cordellwillis: I actually have that item! It's kinda clunky and requires too many batteries for short durations, in my opinion. I guess I could use it in my home studio if attached to light stand. I have a PocketWizard on my camera body, so it definitely won't go on top of that.

@alohadave + @alohadave: I don't think those solutions will be too effective. I heard that sometimes modeling lamps will need to be pushed to high power in order to get effective results, so I definitely need a stronger light source.

I guess a flashlight will be the most cost-effective solution.

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:06 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Not the modeling lights, the ambient room lights. Your flashes are more than powerful enough to overpower the ambient unless you have a reason to shoot longer exposures.

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:02 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Can you power that video light with AC?

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

tuanvo wrote:
I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have ideas?

Morphine usually does it for me.

Dec 01, 2013 at 09:36 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

alohadave wrote:
Not the modeling lights, the ambient room lights. Your flashes are more than powerful enough to overpower the ambient unless you have a reason to shoot longer exposures.

Hmmmm. You are correct. I tried this out last night with my very bright studio video lights. The strobe did indeed overpower the very bright ambient light.

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:07 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

just take two shots; the first one will close their pupils down.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

blob loblaw wrote:
just take two shots; the first one will close their pupils down.

Do pupils stay closed for long? Would shooting in 4-second intervals work you think?

Dec 03, 2013 at 10:03 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

might be too long unless they're on drugs. lol
usually i fire rounds of 2-3 shots within a 2sec interval.

take a look at your own eyes in a mirror to see how fast they contract, it's fairly quick.

If you have a trained model, you can tell them to glance at a point of light before they look at the camera.

I'm assuming you're outdoors; indoors use ambient lights!

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:14 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

Great tips! I'll try them out. Thanks a bunch.

Dec 04, 2013 at 03:18 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shrinking pupils. What do you use?

I would place a low cost LED video light on a stand. Fits on the same as a strobe or speed light. Looks professional, has adjustable light output and can be used alone for a different look without flash. It would also help with focus in really dark conditions. Around $35.00 on Amazon.

Dec 05, 2013 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password