Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Great shot Dan, I like this shot a lot. I'd love to see a huge pano version of it. Are those sensor spots, or birds? At this size it isnt apparent what they are, so maybe removing them would tidy up the soft glow a bit more.

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:04 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Thanks, all. Justin, those spots are very distant birds. (Thanks for looking closely enough to notice!) One of the interesting things about this photograph is that it somehow makes distance and scale very ambiguous. I thought about removing them in the small version here, but since they are an integral part of the effect of the print-size version... they get to stay!

Take care,

Dan

Edited on Nov 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

I've had some similar experiences. Up early to wetlands to catch the golden hour illuminating herons, egrets and other waterfowl. Only to arrive with lifting fog over the marshland and prime opportunity for some landscapes.
Your image is serene and quite beautiful.
Fine work.

Scott

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Delightful image, Dan. And I know what you mean about those foggy mornings with sunlight. I often chase those elements in the Everglades.

Wayne

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Thanks, Scott and Wayne. Wayne, I have not photographed the Everglades, but I'd like to at some point. Years ago I imagined that Florida would be a very visually boring place - being a mountain guy and all that - but a visit convinced me otherwise. On that trip I was out very early in the morning and saw fog very much like this fog - though probably many, many degrees warmer! ;-)

Dan

Nov 28, 2013 at 01:48 PM
toddlio
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Dan, I love these types of shots, they always elude me, but you nailed this one.

Nov 29, 2013 at 07:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

Thanks, toddle.

At the risk of "more words,", I'm going to say a bit more about the "eludes me" subject and this photograph. This sort of photograph, by its nature, often is elusive. It usually isn't exactly the sort of thing you can go out to find, since these effects of light and atmosphere are almost completely unpredictable and very ephemeral. This photograph was certainly not the direct result of planning - though perhaps an indirect result of "planning" to be in a place where fog and dawn light were a possibility, and then of looking continuously and intently at what there was to see.

It was (and is!) also important, I think, to respond quickly and decisively to such circumstances when they occur. When I came very slowly around the bend in the gravel road where I saw this light, the specific composition of this photograph was not immediately apparent to me, but I felt that something was going to be possible here, so without thinking a whole lot I simply stopped and got out and started looking. I had perhaps a minute or two to photograph this light before it was mostly gone, and I think I made perhaps a half dozen photographs (some near duplicates) in that brief time.

While whatever success came from this photo was related to some gear stuff, it probably isn't in the ways that some might imagine. For example, while I virtually always shoot landscapes from the tripod, this photograph was handheld. When things are changing quickly, it is often better to just photograph in whatever way captures the ephemeral conditions than to fiddle too much with gear. (Sometimes my strategy is to first get something handheld in conditions like this, and to then slow down and use the tripod if the potential persists.) Secondly, I was not shooting with what some might regard as an ideal bird or landscape photography setup - instead I had a 100-400mm zoom on a 5DII. But here, as is often the case I think, the flexibility and versatility of this zoom made the photograph possible - which it would not have been with, say, a 500mm tele prime or a shorter zoom or prime.

And, as is almost always the case, luck plays a big role. While it was my conscious choice to put myself in a place where fog and dawn light were likely, I could not possibly have known that this specific and very brief opportunity would occur, much less where to find it - and it was simply good fortune that I happened to come around this particular turn at this particular moment.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

gdanmitchell wrote:
Thanks, toddle.
This photograph was certainly not the direct result of planning - though perhaps an indirect result of "planning" to be in a place where fog and dawn light were a possibility, and then of looking continuously and intently at what there was to see.

Beautiful photo and superb vision. Know exactly what you mean from the above statement. Although luck played a role there was definitely great skill involved.

Edwin

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Marsh Grasses and Fog, Dawn

great colors

Nov 30, 2013 at 08:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.