FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

j.liam wrote:
I'm looking on a small screed but the 50/1.2 (which I take to be the EOS) has extreme vignetting, also looks to drop in resolution as it approaches the corners. Again, may be the small screen of an iPad but there appears to be some subtle color changes as you approach the darkened corner.

ah, that's not the 50L's poor performance on the sensor, that's the adapter the OP uses internal baffle for an aps-c sensor. his version III metabones adapter stopped functioning so he had to use the version I which has an aps-c sized internal baffle in it. this means you should ignore the edges/vignietting etc on all the canon mount lenses.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

sebboh wrote:
[

ah, that's not the 50L's poor performance on the sensor, that's the adapter the OP uses internal baffle for an aps-c sensor. his version III metabones adapter stopped functioning so he had to use the version I which has an aps-c sized internal baffle in it. this means you should ignore the edges/vignietting etc on all the canon mount lenses.

Wasn't familiar with the nuances of the Metabones adapter versions. Thanks for the clarification.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

Thanks for sharing.

I'm not much of a 50's shooter, but it is still interesting to see how much variance exists among lenses ... always educational. Nice touch with the lens inset photo too.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

A great test, Stefan, and very professional. The Berek Elmar was legendary and, even today, delivers a standout results: low flare, no color fringing, wide open! I look forward to using my two 1950s Elmars: 50/3.5 red scale, and 50/2.8.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

carstenw wrote:
What do you mean "inconsistencies in F-Stops"? Do you mean that not all the lenses have equal light transmission?

Number of elements and type of glass all contribute to losses,
f-stops are calculated, that's why film and video use T-stops as they're measured values.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

Yes, that was what I was asking. This isn't really an inconsistency in f-stop, but an inconsistency in exposures. F-stops do not guarantee a certain light transmission.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:28 AM
geesbert
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

carstenw wrote:
Yes, that was what I was asking. This isn't really an inconsistency in f-stop, but an inconsistency in exposures. F-stops do not guarantee a certain light transmission.

True, different lenses shouldn't have the same lighttransmissions at same f-stops.

but I'd expect them to doubling or halfing the lighttransmission with every stop I dial in.

Some lenses do quite badly at that...

mAybe not fosussing on infinity has something to do with that?

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
geesbert
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

dalegaspi wrote:
having done test shootouts myself, i know first-hand that this is a very tedious exercise, and I applaud your efforts for this...

that said, this could have been done better. just IMHO. exposures are all over the place (some are overexposed...were this metered manually?). why the tilted horizon? and while the use of the mirror is creative, it should have not been part of the shot (a separate shot of the lens as picture-in-picture would have been better if you really want the pic of the lens used along with the image).

what horizon are you talking about?

I think having the camera in the shot by a mirror is brilliant, as it serves as a reminder, what lens is used at what f-stop, whithout having to take notes. it also shows quite well the shadow behaviour of each lens and the flare opposite the lightsource.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

geesbert wrote:
True, different lenses shouldn't have the same lighttransmissions at same f-stops.

but I'd expect them to doubling or halfing the lighttransmission with every stop I dial in.

Some lenses do quite badly at that...

mAybe not fosussing on infinity has something to do with that?

True! I am surprised they don't even double. Which lenses were doing that? I guess it has to do with the light losses being more extreme closer to wide open? Physical vignetting or other losses I suppose.

Nov 27, 2013 at 01:45 PM
turnstyle
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

Wow, grateful for this. And +1, also loving your idea to use the mirror.

My knee-jerk question: what adapter are you using for the M glass, and are you hitting infinity focus at the infinity stop?

(I've seen some discussion as to whether the Lux performs at its best if it's mounted capable of focusing past infinity.)

I wish you had an FE 55!

Thanks again, -Scott

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:52 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

carstenw wrote:
I guess it has to do with the light losses being more extreme closer to wide open? Physical vignetting or other losses I suppose.

Ultra fast lenses also lose the oblique rays that the sensor's microlenses can't catch. Old/cheap lenses may also simply have inaccurate f/stops (mechanical inaccuracy).

Nov 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
biconvex

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

geesbert wrote:
I think having the camera in the shot by a mirror is brilliant, as it serves as a reminder, what lens is used at what f-stop, whithout having to take notes. it also shows quite well the shadow behaviour of each lens and the flare opposite the lightsource.

+1, brilliant indeed!

By the way, your Pentax SMC-A 50/1.4 is an SMC-M. Different lens with slightly different optical scheme.

Nov 27, 2013 at 03:24 PM
geesbert
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

turnstyle wrote:
Wow, grateful for this. And +1, also loving your idea to use the mirror.

My knee-jerk question: what adapter are you using for the M glass, and are you hitting infinity focus at the infinity stop?

(I've seen some discussion as to whether the Lux performs at its best if it's mounted capable of focusing past infinity.)

I wish you had an FE 55!

Thanks again, -Scott

I am using both a Novoflex and a Hawk's, both work just fine, but I have to say I never used any lens set to infinity. Whenever I shoot something at infinity I always back up a bit an close down the lens. served me well...

unfortunately the sony 55 is not available in this part of the world, but I will gett it, though I doubt I can be bothered to do another 50ies test again.

I am planing to do a 60-100mm test and one for 35, there are a few guns in my arsenal which wait for competition...

Nov 28, 2013 at 05:46 AM
thompsonkirk
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

I know the thread is getting long with thanks, but I just have to add mine! You've given me real confidence in my purchase that's on the way.

Kirk

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:45 PM
tennclay
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

Very good test (no amateur Imatest graphs, thankfully!)

Nice to see some images that aren't all smeared on the edges, this offers hope...

Thanks

Dec 13, 2013 at 08:34 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Big test of 50mm lenses, old an new, on the A7r

Nice job!
But your missing one.
The Otus 55/1.4!

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.