New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any "Dexter" fans?

RSpears

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any "Dexter" fans?

A friend recently turned me on to the show "Dexter" and watching them on Netflix. (He's a crime scene analyst who uses Nikon gear)

Anyone have an idea what kind of flash attachment he has that looks a little like a ring flash.... little flash heads on either side of the lens? drives me crazy every time I see him use it. never seen anything like that. I keep trying to figure out which Nikon body he's using too.,

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any "Dexter" fans?

I've never watched the show, but it sounds like the Nikon R1C1?

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:21 AM
jeffryscott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any "Dexter" fans?

Love that show, just watched the first four seasons on netflix myself, and was also trying to figure out what camera he's using. Wonder if knife afficiondos are curious as to his cutlery?

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:23 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any "Dexter" fans?

Depends on the day you catch him

Most of the time he's using a D2X, while just a few times he'll be using an Olympus system (no idea what it is though).

The flash system is the one people use for macro, flowers and such. R1C1 as Next said.

Love the show. Won't spoil the ending though, did yo guys watch it through and through?

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any "Dexter" fans?

By the way, Dexter was shot (I presume the last season (s)?) on a D800.

Nikonian Killer all the way

This is from the main camera man of the show:

"We used the Alexa as a baseline and had the D800 recording to an outboard recorder uncompressed and to an internal memory card at H.264 compressed," says Fletcher. "We also tested a Canon C300 with a Cooke lens on it—a $40,000 setup—running alongside the $4,000 Nikon D800 setup. The Canon footage had what you might call an over-smooth look to it. But the D800 uncompressed footage blew us away."

When they looked at D800 footage alongside the ARRI baseline at Technicolor, he says, "we really couldn't see much difference. But our jaws really hit the floor when we brought up the compressed D800 footage. Right then the decision was made with the post supervisor Megan Walsh that if we shoot with this camera, there is no need to shoot uncompressed. That means the file size goes from 4GB to 600 MB. That's just the factory setup, too."

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:33 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any "Dexter" fans?

haha thanks guari, cool facts!! I watch them all but was a little bit deceived at the ending!! Breaking bad ending was 100 times better!!

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:40 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any "Dexter" fans?

rick2906 wrote:
haha thanks guari, cool facts!! I watch them all but was a little bit deceived at the ending!! Breaking bad ending was 100 times better!!

I have to catch up on breaking bad, I left it at season 2

Some other piece of Dexter Trivia, there was a "bad" guy, a paedophile, who would scan the area and take pictures of potential victims. Well, what do you know, the bad guy was a Canon user

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any "Dexter" fans?

It's great he is a Nikon user but the show was terrible especially the series finale, then again in my mind nothing compares to the greatness that is/was Breaking Bad.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any "Dexter" fans?

I haven't watched it since season 2. I saw a couple episodes of season 3 and wasn't a fan.. Season 1 was the best.

He has probably this as others have said.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Flashes/4803/R1C1-Wireless-Close-Up-Speedlight-System.html

A local police force still uses a D200 lol I spoke to the crime scene photographer. He loves it and isn't ready to upgrade

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any "Dexter" fans?

Guari wrote:
I have to catch up on breaking bad, I left it at season 2

Some other piece of Dexter Trivia, there was a "bad" guy, a paedophile, who would scan the area and take pictures of potential victims. Well, what do you know, the bad guy was a Canon user

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any "Dexter" fans?

Early on Dex used an olympus system, then switched to nikon....and yes, the ending was terrible.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any "Dexter" fans?

NathanHamler wrote:
Early on Dex used an olympus system, then switched to nikon....and yes, the ending was terrible.

The producers want to keep open the possibility of Dexter II....not unusual in Hollywood when the series is a success.

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:31 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any "Dexter" fans?

It's probably an R1C1, will be having one for sale!

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:48 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any "Dexter" fans?

nope.... there is a lot of Nikon gear on TV

Nov 26, 2013 at 04:12 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any "Dexter" fans?

ariel777 wrote:
The producers want to keep open the possibility of Dexter II....not unusual in Hollywood when the series is a success.

In that case, Breaking Bad should have had the WORST ending in HISTORY, since they would want to leave open the possibility of a sequel, to the BEST SERIES IN HISTORY.....lol I remember seeing an interview with the Dexter producers, they said there was no plans for a spinoff, or a sequel...

Nov 26, 2013 at 07:15 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any "Dexter" fans?

NathanHamler wrote:
In that case, Breaking Bad should have had the WORST ending in HISTORY, since they would want to leave open the possibility of a sequel, to the BEST SERIES IN HISTORY.....lol I remember seeing an interview with the Dexter producers, they said there was no plans for a spinoff, or a sequel...

"No plans" does not mean "NO it won't be done". "If" the money is there a few years down the line, Dexter will be off to South America to see his son and the love of his life, and, of course, "do his thing".
Whenever the main character lives on (and sometimes not) the possibility of a revival, in some form or another remains. BTW, never trust the term "we have no plans.."

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.