Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I'm getting bombarded by Adobe marketing emails telling me I can have 40% off CC, which is the same 40% they were going to give me at the start, but only until the "end of July" right?. Then it would be all over and I'd have to pay full price.

Then, due to high demand (yeah, right) I could have this price until September, but then it really was all over and I'd have to pay full price.

Now it appears I can have it until November 30th.

Hmmm….. either Adobe planned this kind of campaign all along and have been deliberately misleading people on the deadline dates or things are not going to plan and they're trying to figure out how to rescue it.

Then……for the first time I also got a phone call from Adobe telling me how wonderful CC was and how I was eligible for the 'upgrade' at a reduced price and would I like to sign up now? I told him I was weening myself off all Adobe products because I wasn't going to rent my software and (to my surprise) he said, "yeah, that's what I'm hearing on almost every call". He sounded pretty depressed.

When are they going to get the message?

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Dave Good
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I too have had Adobe trying to entice me to jump off the cliff and join the cloud. Call me an old fart and a skeptic but this just ain't for me. I am perfectly happy with LR and PS right now and am exploring other options when/if they become necessary. Not gonna be forced to drink that kool-aid.....

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Dave EP,
Have you ever worked for a large corporation? They only accidentally exhibit an signs of wisdom.

Nov 26, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I suspect the ever-evolving sign up deals are adjusted on the fly, i.e., Adobe makes it up as they go. My guess is that, no matter what they say, response has not been what was anticipated and so the carrot continues to be dangled.

Lucky for me I don't like carrots.

Nov 26, 2013 at 08:46 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Dave_EP wrote:
I'm getting bombarded by Adobe marketing emails telling me I can have 40% off CC, which is the same 40% they were going to give me at the start, but only until the "end of July" right?. Then it would be all over and I'd have to pay full price.

Then, due to high demand (yeah, right) I could have this price until September, but then it really was all over and I'd have to pay full price.

Now it appears I can have it until November 30th.

Hmmm….. either Adobe planned this kind of campaign all along and have been deliberately
...Show more

Dave
I think they've gone down the DFS & Oak Furniture land marketing route.
ie always have a 'sale' and sale ends soon (so we can start another sale thats exactly the same )

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:02 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Camperjim wrote:
Dave EP,
Have you ever worked for a large corporation? They only accidentally exhibit an signs of wisdom.

+++ a yeah.

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Dave
I think they've gone down the DFS & Oak Furniture land marketing route.
ie always have a 'sale' and sale ends soon (so we can start another sale thats exactly the same )

But just enough different that they can say it isn't the same as their regular price, laced with sufficient time gaps among their revolving promotions to keep them in compliance with the FTC.

The perpetual overuse of dangling carrots with impending doom ... wears thin after a while, but still catches some fish along the way.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

RustyBug wrote:
The perpetual overuse of dangling carrots with impending doom ... wears thin after a while, but still catches some fish along the way.

Well, they caught me. Sorry to break solidarity, guys, but I've been needing something and the deal was finally too good for me to pass up. I don't like the renting software, but I've been tired of having to convert all bajillionty-million of my 7D files to use on my really old copy of PS. $10/mo and I get LR and PS goes a long way towards making things easy on me.

I think out best hope is for the camera manufacturers to beef up their included software. They have the RAW processors and they have rudimentary photo management and editing. Just some tweaking and updating and you'll have something worthwhile. Some more tweaking and updating after that and you'll have a great product.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

amacal1 wrote:
Well, they caught me. Sorry to break solidarity, guys, but I've been needing something and the deal was finally too good for me to pass up. I don't like the renting software, but I've been tired of having to convert all bajillionty-million of my 7D files to use on my really old copy of PS. $10/mo and I get LR and PS goes a long way towards making things easy on me.

I think out best hope is for the camera manufacturers to beef up their included software. They have the RAW processors and they have rudimentary photo management and
...Show more

Well, I for one will not ridicule you for taking advantage of the opportunity. There are some folks for which the offering is a reasonable solution.

My personal observation is I lack the trust and confidence that any long-term arrangement with Adobe is in my best interest. Or the fact that the CC only option, after decades of it was the customer's choice to invest in what Adobe offered ... in other words, new versions/upgrades had to have enough merit to warrant the investment ... now we must underwrite EVERYTHING Adobe does, whether or not that effort would enhance our own individual efforts.

Sure, they seem to be doing a decent job of adding value to CC now, in these first few months after the switch to subscription only ... however, I have serious doubts that will be the case over the long haul.

I have until midnight 12/31/2013 to make up my own mind on how to move forward ... though, I have yet to find enough confidence in the situation to make that an easy decision.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I subscribed a couple of months ago. Have not regretted a thing yet. Enjoy using the latest software and the advanced sharpening already has saved me time. At $10 / month, easily a great deal.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I subscribed a couple of months ago. Have not regretted a thing yet. Enjoy using the latest software and the advanced sharpening already has saved me time. At $10 / month, easily a great deal.

Ditto. I don't like the business model too much but I love the software so I'll pay the 33 cents a day to ride along.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

For only 33 cents a day you can support a struggling programmer's family in your own country. Do it now, and save a life.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

The $10 CC program works for some people ( and the PS & LR bundle makes sense), but I need to do the full version, which is $29 now and $49 next year and $?? after that. $29 is fine, $49 is ok but maybe they decide they want $99?
I realize that you get a lot of stuff but to be honest I am an upgrade skipper. Unless it's free, I don't go up everytime they do a little tweak.
It's sort of like leasing a car, which is fine as it's an easy tax write off but you get on the treadmill and if you want to buy instead of lease you just bought the product twice
All of Adobe products are mature and probably won;t have many more earth shattering "I gotta have that!" features so this is a somewhat desperate measure to stay profitable.
Somewhat like new Coke.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

amacal1 wrote:
Well, they caught me. Sorry to break solidarity,

No reason to apologize, this is not an anti-Adobe solidarity campaign, just an effort toward understanding the mix of Adobe's presentations that have some people confounded in certain regard. The trappings of dangling carrots is only how they get your attention, impending doom is just a tactic to get you to pull the trigger. Just because they use such tactics doesn't mean that a good hammer on sale isn't a good thing to buy ... especially if you're in need (or want) of a new hammer.

If you have made an assessment of how it fits your needs, goals, etc. ... and it works for you ... SUPER, MEGA-WAY COOL !!!

This is a subjective decision for each of us ... and I only wish the best for all our members, but I'm a bit like Micky one this one @ I just don't need a new hammer right now. The one I've already got is a darned good one and is working just fine for me.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I'm actually surprised I have not been contacted, as I have been avid fan/purchaser/user of both PS and LR.
My situation is that it isn't necessarily about the monies.
Though I disagree totally with the cc model, it's about the principle to me.
Telling us "amateurs" that we don't deserve to use "their" "professional" software, was the crossed line for me.
That, and certain adobe "ambassadors" flaunting their arrogance about in other forums totally killed any future adobe products for me.
So it is for me, I will NEVER purchase ANY adobe product, EVER again...

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

"or things are not going to plan and they're trying to figure out how to rescue it."

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

I think things are going to plan for them except the hack they got. A lot of embarrasment and losing their code. They are just trying to offset that mess. It was bad enough that 2.9 million accounts got compromised but after investigation it turns out to be 36 million.

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Who knows what the Adobe plans were all along. Maybe they got their coorporations all signed up, got their existing CS3 customer base all signed up and now are looking at signing up as many non PS users, or more likely, people using PS illegally, as possible. Might be their stategy all along...we will never know for sure. We can all speculate, and that is a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, none of us here really knows what Adobe's original plans were.

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Brit-007 wrote:
I think things are going to plan for them except the hack they got. A lot of embarrasment and losing their code. They are just trying to offset that mess. It was bad enough that 2.9 million accounts got compromised but after investigation it turns out to be 36 million.

I doubt that would be reason, unless droves instantly quit right after that (and aren't most locked into a year subscription?).

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Part of the Adobe plan all along?

Well, for better or worse, I'm not talking about the $10 offer here. For any one who is really down rev or never owned photoshop I can see why this may be a good deal, and good luck to you.

But, they want me to sign up for the entire suite for only £27.34 ($45) a month instead of £46.88 ($77.35) but of course in a year they'll be wanting £46.88 ($77.35) a month and I'm not playing ball. I'm not going to create projects that I know I may need to revisit in a couple of years but not be able to open. I'm still having to reference projects I made 5 years ago, and anything with a proprietary project file (Premiere Pro, After Effects, InDesign etc) means I'd be screwed.

Bye bye Adobe. No matter how many emails you send or phone calls you make, I'm not renting it! Make a perpetual license upgrade (CS7) and you can have my money right now. Until you do that, my CS6 master collection will be as far as it goes and any money you were hoping for from me with either stay in my pocket or go to other vendors who aren't trying to sell me something over and over and over again by renting.

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.