Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

I did a brief search in the general gear forum without success. I'm looking for a bag recommendation for carrying the Canon MK IV with a Sigma 120-300 attached. I've read good reports of both Tenba and Tamrac cases for combos like this but some 'real world' testimonials would be appreciated. Thank you...
-Cam

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
annacarty

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Hi, I often use the Think Tank Hard Drive with the 1Diii and 120-300. It is very tight though when TCs added too and I am considering the TT Glass Limo. I suppose it may depend how much other gear you wish to carry at the same time. I managed to cram a lot in to the Hard Drive with the set up - 100-400, 7D body, 10-20, 35F2 and Tamron 17-50, flash etc

Nov 26, 2013 at 02:59 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

annacarty wrote:
Hi, I often use the Think Tank Hard Drive with the 1Diii and 120-300. It is very tight though when TCs added too and I am considering the TT Glass Limo. I suppose it may depend how much other gear you wish to carry at the same time. I managed to cram a lot in to the Hard Drive with the set up - 100-400, 7D body, 10-20, 35F2 and Tamron 17-50, flash etc

Thanks annacarty, this looks promising. I can't imagine how much all that kit must weigh!

Nov 26, 2013 at 07:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Are you wanting to carry it in shooting position with hood out? Are you only wanting to carry the one body and the lens?

The TT Glass Limo would be the most compact bag if you just want the body, lens and hood extended. The TT Glass Taxi would take it with hood reversed I think. If other gear then GuraGear bags are an excellent option. To have it with the hood extended and body attached you would need the large 32L Bataflae but if you want body on, hood reversed then the smaller 26L would work. You would have the entire other half of either bag for tonnes more gear. The really small 18L would probably fit everything but all disassembled and hood reversed.

Nov 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM
annacarty

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Hi Onegreatcity, I only carried all that gear together when I spent a month in Kruger earlier in the year - I would never normally carry the Sigma and the 100-400 together! Having said that, the Hard Drive did qualify as carry on luggage size wise and I flew KLM who allow 26ibs hand luggage. Just a thought if you ever fly with your gear.
If I am walking any distance off road etc i often carry big glass well wrapped in a traditional rucksack, particularly in hilly terrain.

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:53 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

1city,

As arbitrage asked, how do you want to carry the rig: at ready or secured so that you can move to a shooting point?

If at ready, the Cotton Carrier (www.cottoncarrier.com) gets my vote and I use it all the time. If you are looking for a "holster" style approach then check out Kinesis (www.kgear.com). They have excellent a number of solutions and I've found their products to bet top quality.

Robert

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Thanks for the replies. OntheRez & arbitrage, my preference is lens attached to body, hood can be reversed. I prefer a backpack style bag and having the ability to carry an additional lens or two would be ideal. Having a tripod holster or straps is also good.

If the bag qualified as 'carry on', so much the better.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II gets my vote. I've flown with it on small hopper planes around Ecuador, international flights to Europe, central and South America, and even domestic flights in the US with only one or two instances where they "tried" to valet it for me. I refused and would always let the attendant know that I am carrying around 15k in gear, and it needs to stay close. Currently I have my 1D Mark III attached to a 500 F4 IS L (hood reversed), 300 F4 IS L, 2 flashes, 1.4 and 2x TC's, and a 5D Mark II body in the bag, with a Think Tank Laptop case in the front zipper that I pull out when I get onto the plane. You can get a lightly used one on ebay for just over 100 shipped. I remember paying 250 back in the day and thinking THAt was a steal when BH had them for just over 300 at release. Its big, its heavy, but it gets the job done very well.

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:21 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

@codyconway Thanks for the suggestion, I will add it to my research.

Nov 28, 2013 at 07:45 AM
annacarty

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

@codyconway I could be misremembering here, but I seem to remember that I changed from the Phototrekker AWII because it was such a tight fit for a 1D body....

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:02 AM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Try here:
www.cambags.com

JP

Nov 28, 2013 at 09:54 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

annacarty wrote:
@codyconway I could be misremembering here, but I seem to remember that I changed from the Phototrekker AWII because it was such a tight fit for a 1D body....

I guess you are remmebering wrong ;-) but I havea 1D Mark III with L plat attached to my 500 F4 in the bag right now with the hood reversed for my flight to Ecuador tomorrow.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
annacarty

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

codyconway wrote:
I guess you are remmebering wrong ;-) but I havea 1D Mark III with L plat attached to my 500 F4 in the bag right now with the hood reversed for my flight to Ecuador tomorrow.

I must be! Enjoy Ecuador. A long time since I was there but keep meaning to return. A long way from UK....

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

Thanks, off topic, but my better half will be flying there from Germany, but her flight leaves a tad bit earlier than mine ;-) 15 hours from berlin through Miami. Good times.

Back onto the topic - yes, the bag has truly been great to me. Only complaint is the tripod holder does not really work with my gimbal attached, but it manages.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D MK IV Bag Recommendation?

LDRider wrote:
Try here:
www.cambags.com

JP

Thanks JP!

Nov 28, 2013 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.