Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Buying Einstein Lights

Once again, the triumph of style over substance.

The Einsteins are the most advanced monoblock studio strobes in their, or many other price ranges, with innovative features that others are still scrambling to match, and you can't live with their looks. My my my..

I see your point, but, considering how the human mind works, it's not valid for me. Ideally, most photographers would like to own lights that are feature intensive that look aesthetically pleasing. Would you rather have the hot chick with a great mind and personality, or the plain, heavyset gal with the same intellect and fun personality? Which one are you initially drawn to? Do the sexy lines of a Porsche draw your attention more than a boxy Kia minivan?

I find it odd that a photographer discounts the emotional appeal that imagery has upon the human mind when our very job is to stir those emotions through our work.

Dec 25, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Buying Einstein Lights

Thanks, Deezie, you said it much better. I had Alienbees, and I can't stand the style of Einstein. I seems the aestheticity was least on designer's mind at PB. Maybe it's just me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:07 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie wrote:
I see your point, but, considering how the human mind works, it's not valid for me. Ideally, most photographers would like to own lights that are feature intensive that look aesthetically pleasing. Would you rather have the hot chick with a great mind and personality, or the plain, heavyset gal with the same intellect and fun personality? Which one are you initially drawn to? Do the sexy lines of a Porsche draw your attention more than a boxy Kia minivan?

I find it odd that a photographer discounts the emotional appeal that imagery has upon the human mind when our very
...Show more

Through our work, not through our gear.

I've never even had a customer ask what kind of lights or camera I use, much less react to the looks.

Gimme a break, you've been brainwashed by the marketing machine that asserts that we must have the very coolest looking stuff or we're nothing. Bah humbug.

<Chas>

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:08 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Buying Einstein Lights

I'm not brainwashed, I'm educated. Beauty stirs powerful emotions when observed by the human eye. No, you don't need the most beautiful camera or lens to take amazing photographs, but dismissing the idea that a photographer who appreciates beauty should have no regard for gear with aesthetic appeal seems short-sighted. Pride of ownership creates a sense of joy for one's craft and owning tools that reflect an artistic sensibility is not shallow, it's inspiring.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:27 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie, we weren't talking about inspiration or appreciation we were talking about this post

"I am sure it functionally is a decent strobe, I just can't live with its looks."

How does that affect inspiration and appreciation? We're talking about a tool, not someone's muse. Does a carpenter lament that he can't live with the looks of his saw, hammer, or square?

EOD, I'm outa here.

<Chas>

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Taemobig

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie wrote:

I find it odd that a photographer discounts the emotional appeal that imagery has upon the human mind when our very
...Show more

As a professional photographer, I get more respect and pride (and money) from my work than what brand of lights/camera I'm using. Every model agency/client I've worked with had never asked what my gear was, but they have always asked for my portfolio.

Dec 26, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Buying Einstein Lights

True, no one would ask what gear one used for the portfolio, but it matters to the photographer, doesn't it? Unless you are given a set of tools to work with, would you pick the ones you would enjoy using? That's what I was talking about. Of course, everyone's taste is different. No need to get emotional over this small stuff.

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:15 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Buying Einstein Lights

I happen to love the way the AB and Einsteins look. Especially given what the Einsteins can do for their size. I think they have a compact-cool-clean look about them. But that's not why I bought them. Matter of fact I never thought about their look beyond size until this thread discussed it...

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Buying Einstein Lights

The MC2 is not for sale any longer. Design problem with antenna cover coming off and potential shock hazard. If and when it is fixed, maybe it will be for sale again.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie wrote:

...Show more

How vapid. Who cares what it looks like. If you'd rather date the hot chick with no brains (and many would, unfortunately) than more power to you. Some people desire looks over substance and they get what they deserve IMO.

OTOH, the einstein lights are great, way more reliable than their sexy elinchrome counterparts and have many more features and a wider range. Not only that, they *DO* look great. If you think they're ugly, ever consider it's *YOU* and not them?

And *inspiration* from your lights?!? REALLY?!? Now, i've heard everything.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:36 PM
fqo63ta

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Buying Einstein Lights

I've got a pair of old Metz 45 CT-4's that I modded to give variable output.
I made some soft boxes out of cardboard and paper towels. These things have been working for I don't know how many years, day in and day out.

If you want to see 'ugly', I'll show you butt-ugly. Who cares what they look like, as long as they do the job.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Buying Einstein Lights

I'll bet the 100's and 100's of working Elinchrom pros would beg to differ with jzucker's one bad experience. My 5 Elinchrom RX's and a Quadra have worked flawlessly indoor and out for many years and 1000's of images.

On another note I would love to see some of above posters images shot with cardboard and paper towel soft boxes.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Buying Einstein Lights

Gregg Heckler wrote:
I'll bet the 100's and 100's of working Elinchrom pros would beg to differ with jzucker's one bad experience. My 5 Elinchrom RX's and a Quadra have worked flawlessly indoor and out for many years and 1000's of images.

On another note I would love to see some of above posters images shot with cardboard and paper towel soft boxes.

They can beg to differ all they want. I went through 3 blown BXRI 500 heads last year that LITERALLY melted when used in a beauty dish and the USA sales manager telling me that he would not be able to replace it if it blew again if used in a beauty dish.

Never had a single problem with the Einstein heads and the customer support is way better. The BXRI heads took 5 weeks each to get back. I've had to use buff customer support a few times over the last 10 years and each time I got the repaired item back within 7 business days.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
mattdoebler

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Buying Einstein Lights

Deezie wrote:

...Show more

Judging a light on its "aesthetic" appeal is no different than making the argument that lean/hipster photographers are more preferable to squat/dumpy photographers. It's a complete non-sequitur. How absurd would it be to discuss what paintbrush Michelangelo used to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling or what brand of chisel he used to carve his La Pieta. When should lighting tools EVER be judged on their aesthetics. That just shows you how gullible some photographers can be.

Jan 18, 2014 at 02:41 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Buying Einstein Lights

mattdoebler wrote:
Judging a light on its "aesthetic" appeal is no different than making the argument that lean/hipster photographers are more preferable to squat/dumpy photographers. It's a complete non-sequitur. How absurd would it be to discuss what paintbrush Michelangelo used to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling or what brand of chisel he used to carve his La Pieta. When should lighting tools EVER be judged on their aesthetics. That just shows you how gullible some photographers can be.

People just value glitz over substance. Is it any wonder that people prefer iphonography over hiring a real photographer?!?

Jan 18, 2014 at 03:42 PM
mattdoebler

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Buying Einstein Lights

We should not be surprised that the general public believes fancy camera = better pictures when supposed photographers believe fancy light = better light.

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password