New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

Has anyone made this change and have you noticed a big difference? Drobo claims 5x faster. I have (2) 2TB WD Green Drives and (2) 3TB Red Drives. I've noticed lately that the Drobo has been very slow.

The Drobo 2nd Gen is attached via USB 2.0 to the latest iMac that has USB and Thunderbolt ports only.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

I don't have the 5D. But I have 3 other Drobo's. I'm sure the 5D will be a lot faster than your Drobo. My two Drobo S connected with e-Sata and USB 3 are a lot faster than my Drobo 2nd Gen with USB 2

Nov 26, 2013 at 01:27 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

Thanks, Lars. I appreciate it.

Voltaire

Nov 26, 2013 at 05:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

i went from Drobo S to D but via USB3 (TB which I thought was going to be the next big thing stumbled)
also have the mSATA module in the bottom using
(5) 2TB mixed red/black caviars. it is more then substantially faster.

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:01 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

Guess it really comes down to what are you attempting to do with the Drobo. I have a S & a 5D. TB on the 5D is significantly faster as tested with different files size copy times. At the end of the day I use the 5D for movie, music and photo storage. It's never been an issue including running plex on the iMac that utilizes the 5D stored movies to serve up to my living rm AV system. I use the S as a pure backup via time machine. It's connected via usb2. For me, speed is unimportant for this duty. NOTE: you can get a eSata to usb3 converter for the S, hook it up to the iMac's usb3 port and the speed is significantly better. I got one and sure enough data flows faster.

Another point, if your drobo is >80% full it will start to slow down, natural condition.

Matt

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Drobo 2nd Gen to Drobo 5D

that's pretty much the natural condition for many memory devices

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.