New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

I'm curious to know how well the 6d does in servo AF tracking compared to the 7d. The main reason for my inquiry is because I like to shoot a lot of photos of my 3 year old son on family outings and he can be quite erratic running around and I have found the 7d performance under these conditions to be quite favorable especially when paired with the 70-200 II. I know that the 6d's AF system isn't quite advanced as the 7d but was wondering if it would be capable of performing this kind of task. I've been on the fence about getting rid of the 7d in favor of the 6d if it can keep up with this kind of photography. I also like to do bird photography but not so much in-flight.

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:29 PM
waterden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

I can't speak for the 7D, which is certainly superior on paper wrt AF. However, my experience with bif using both a Canon 6D and a 5D MkIII (which is more sophisticated than the 7D) is that I've had more success and more keepers with the 6D. As a result I have sold my 5D Mk III. Now it may be that I found the myriad AF possibilities of the 5D3 simply too difficult to work with. I don't know. What I can say is that the 6D did every bit as well as I might have hoped for and loses nothing in IQ to the 5D3 anyway. Both have better IQ than the 7D.

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:43 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

I have the 6D and the 1dIII right now. I normally don't shoot wildlife with the 6d - but I thought I'd give it a try, due to the greater pixel density of the 6d. I shot the below eagles with the 6d, 300mm f/2.8 IS II and 2x III converter. The eagle was perched, but I was waiting for it to take off. When it did, the combo kept focus well as long as I did my part and kept the center point on the bird. As you can see, the background wasn't super cooperative. I did have some misses in the combo, but overall, it did really well. As long as the light was good, I'd rather have the 1d. The autofocus between the 1dIII and 7d seem similar from reports. 1d might be a little better. All three shots were pushed almost two full stops due to user error

http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Other/Eagles/i-7Gg7gN4/1/L/IMG_7847-L.jpg
http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Other/Eagles/i-25mgC55/1/L/IMG_7849-L.jpg
http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Other/Eagles/i-kCHnVsq/1/L/IMG_7850-L.jpg

Edited on Nov 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

I have a 7D and 6D, and use the 6D and a 70-200 II to chase my 3 year old daughter around the playground and house all the time. I still have the 7D, use it mainly for racetracks and zoo's, where I want the better AF and "reach".

As for AI Servo between them, you have to be a little more careful with the 6D, can't have the "spray and pray" approach they way you can with the 7D. But- keep the center point somewhat on target, and I think the 6D is just as good as the 7D. When I first bought the 6D I had a feeling I'd be wanting a 5D3 soon after due to the 7D's superior AF system compared to the 6D, but that's no longer the case. Very happy with my 6D as it does everything I need it to and more. Nevermind the usable ISO's have been 2 stops better with the 6D in my experience.

Granted, if you're shooting birds as well, I'd consider keeping the 7D for that. Most of us have different lenses for different scenario's, so why not different camera bodies as well?

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

wow, Jason pushed 2 stops, look good to me....!!

John

Nov 26, 2013 at 02:17 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6d servo tracking compared to 7d

Thanks! They break down a bit at the pixel level, but that's another benefit of the 6d - great pixel density. I cropped into the image moderately and it still left enough pixels to get a decent print. I don't think I would have been as successful post processing my 1d III files like this.

dontbsme_2 wrote:
wow, Jason pushed 2 stops, look good to me....!!

John

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.