Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

DxO mark test results/ratings

Daniel Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DxO mark test results/ratings

In looking at a few models I am considering for upgrading so I can get much better low light images I checked the DxO mark page.

The Nikon offerings show much higher ratings than the Canons.

In real world use - what is the practical result?

Photographing Auroras, night skies and moonlit landscapes, inside dim buildings... will the Nikon offerings give cleaner results than the Canon bodies?

Am looking at Color Depth, Dynamic Range and Sports(low light) ratings and the Nikons look to be quite a bit better "by the numbers". What does this translate to in real world use?

I know Sony is there as well and might consider their bodies as I would be able to use the current Canon lenses I have without changing to a whole new set. Nikon would be using the older manual focus lenses. Top of the line when I bought them shooting F2's and some upgraded for the F3/F5 bodies.

Am only looking for the finest final image and the low light capability is the main concern here.

Nov 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM
curious80
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DxO mark test results/ratings

When looking at the DxoMark results, you should ignore the summary score they give and go directly to the graphs which compare the SNR, DR etc at each ISO. The major difference in Canon vs Sony sensors (based on DxoMark, as well as in real world), is that Canon sensors fall short of Sony sensors in terms of dynamic range at low ISOs (ISO 100-400). At high ISO either can be better than the other on a case by case basis , though differences at high ISO are minor either way.

Nov 25, 2013 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password