Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Heroin Chic

cadman342001
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Heroin Chic

Congratulations to cadman342001 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

Whilst taking some shots of Chantelle the other week, one pose just screamed this concept at me.

Having discussed with Chantelle how I wanted this edit to go and got her ok I have pushed it a little bit more.

So, the concept is "Heroin Chic" - a play on the phrase commonly used in the fashion industry for super thin unhealthy looking models used for fashion runways.

Here, the "model" is actually a heroin addict rather than merely having "the look" fallen on hard times, homeless, still posing, with the last fragments of her previous life - her dress and shoes, wondering where it all went wrong.

Big thanks to Chantelle for allowing me to pursue this creative vision.

Just to clarify - Chantelle doesn't take heroin, nor do I encourage drug use or violence against women, let's make that clear ! I did the track lines, dirty look and shiner in post.

Give me your thoughts. She's probably not thin enough for "Heroin Chic" per se I suppose ?

Heroin Chic

NIKON D800E    28.0-70.0 mm f/2.8 lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Heroin Chic

Ugly since you asked.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Heroin Chic

I think the image you captured and the way you processed it does a great job in creating that concept you had in mind. It's believable to me. Nice job!

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Heroin Chic

GeorgieGirl wrote:
Ugly since you asked.

Thanks ?

Edited on Nov 24, 2013 at 12:42 AM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Heroin Chic

friscoron wrote:
I think the image you captured and the way you processed it does a great job in creating that concept you had in mind. It's believable to me. Nice job!

Thanks !

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #6 · Heroin Chic

cadman342001 wrote:
Thanks ?

As a viewer, you created an uncomfortable, thought provoking image. You achieved a reaction in me of a strong negative impression. Herion is an ugly scene, and an ugly thought, particulary when so many have left this earth because of it. As an editorial photograph, I think you suceeded in creating a high level of disturbance with your image.

And that's a good thing.

Nov 24, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Heroin Chic

friscoron wrote:

What Ron said.

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:10 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Heroin Chic

GeorgieGirl wrote:
As a viewer, you created an uncomfortable, thought provoking image. You achieved a reaction in me of a strong negative impression. Herion is an ugly scene, and an ugly thought, particulary when so many have left this earth because of it. As an editorial photograph, I think you suceeded in creating a high level of disturbance with your image.

And that's a good thing.

Thanks ! I'm glad you elaborated / clarified your original comment.

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:52 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Heroin Chic

Jim Rickards wrote:
What Ron said.

Thanks Jim

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Heroin Chic

I know nothing about this world except through the media of the news and TV programs.
That said- imo you and your model have interpreted and satisfied your goals extremely well.
This is a disturbing image- as I think you intended it to be.
A bit of semantics:
Your line that says: "...is actually a heroin addict..." strongly states that your model IS a heroin addict.
But later you say that she doesn't take heroin.
This may sound silly to some, but to me a clearer statement would help me understand a lot better.
Charlie

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Heroin Chic

Thanks Charlie,

Fair point, yeah that is a bit ambiguous. I was trying to say that the "model" pictured in the story/concept is an actual heroin addict rather than the ones with the "look" used in fashion.

Maybe if I used her name in the later statement/disclaimer that would clarify it better ?

Andy

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Heroin Chic

cadman342001 wrote:
Thanks Charlie,

Fair point, yeah that is a bit ambiguous. I was trying to say that the "model" pictured in the story/concept is an actual heroin addict rather than the ones with the "look" used in fashion.

Maybe if I used her name in the later statement/disclaimer that would clarify it better ?

Andy

Or if the statements were in the same paragraph, perhaps.
Even better for ex-school teachers like me who read everything very carefully (you got a B- because of this lack of clarity ) would be something like this:
"The model was a heroin addict but has been clean for..."
My reason for asking about this was based on the fact that the image and the story behind it were very involving. I don't know anything about your model- but after seeing the image and reading your words, I cared about her.
And that's high praise to you, the model's posing skills, and your post.
Charlie

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Heroin Chic

But you know it's just a made up story right ?

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #14 · Heroin Chic

Andy, NICE work here, really tells the story of how this life can be, very sad
Bob

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Heroin Chic

cadman342001 wrote:
But you know it's just a made up story right ?

A made up story?
Nothing you've written indicated that to me.
Charlie

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:59 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Heroin Chic

Awesome! very creative

Phil

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:04 AM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Heroin Chic

Extremely well conceived concept and final result - and a nice change from the FM formula images. The lady, makeup and wardrobe fit the theme. The lighting works well -- however maybe it could be a bit more dramatic / grungy. Well modelled and well photographed.

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:36 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Heroin Chic

Charlie Shugart wrote:
A made up story?
Nothing you've written indicated that to me.
Charlie

Well I'm sorry if you got that impression, but for someone who read things very carefully.........

"So, the CONCEPT is "Heroin Chic" - a PLAY ON THE PHRASE commonly used in the fashion industry for super thin unhealthy looking models used for fashion runways.

Big thanks to Chantelle for allowing me to pursue this CREATIVE VISION.

JUST TO CLARIFY - Chantelle DOESN'T TAKE HEROIN, nor do I encourage drug use or violence against women, let's make that clear ! I DID THE TRACK LINES, DIRTY LOOK AND SHINER IN POST.

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:58 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Heroin Chic

jojomon11 wrote:
Awesome! very creative

Phil

Thanks Phil !

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:59 AM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Heroin Chic

tonyfield wrote:
Extremely well conceived concept and final result - and a nice change from the FM formula images. The lady, makeup and wardrobe fit the theme. The lighting works well -- however maybe it could be a bit more dramatic / grungy. Well modelled and well photographed.

Thanks Tony, yeah, things have changed a bit over the years here, not so much "out there" / creative stuff on here these days. I'm surprised no one has commented that she'd be prettier if she smiled !

Nov 25, 2013 at 03:02 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password