New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 120-300

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 120-300

Anyone with a history of this lens please help. I am thinking that this might be my next lens. I would love to see the results and hear your good and bad stories.

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 120-300

Have you heard of the search function?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239990/0?keyword=sigma#11795413
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238266/0?keyword=sigma#11779898
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1229241/0?keyword=sigma#11700882

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:16 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 120-300

I just got one yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try it much. Its a beautifully made heavy lens so hand holding is tough. On stationary objects it looks sharp wide open and gets better if stopped down a stop or two. The OS seems to work great. The acid test for me will be how it performs with TC for birds. I have a Sigma 2x on its way and if it can focus quickly, track and not lose to much image quality it will be a winner as far as I'm concerned. Did I mention its a heavy lens.

More to come.

Vic

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:12 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 120-300

There is three versions of this lens. The early non-OS which from what I've heard was good but not great. I also had the first OS version which was great in every aspect but my first copy had some backfocusing issues. Finally, I used the new OS Sport version for a month and it was spectacular in every possible way. Very sharp, fast and AF was spot on and built to last. It comes with the USB dock which enhances AF speed and you can tune it to different distances.

It was great with the 1.4 TC EX DG without any loss in sharpness or AF speed.

However, as Vic mentioned it was too heavy for me to handhold all day so I had to sell it. If you don't mind the weight, get the new Sport version and you will have two lenses in one, 70-200 VR 2.8 & 300 2.8 VR It's sold at Sigma Refurbished for $2700 and it's a bargain at that price and comes in new condition with warranty. Here's a couple of shots wide open:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1252683/0?keyword=red-tailed#11919415

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 120-300

Forgot to mention mine is the new Sport version.

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:56 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 120-300

If memory serves there were 3 versions prior to the first OS-variant of the 120-300. My copy is the one prior to the DG-version. It's just an "okay"-lens - pretty good at close range, but not very good at typical soccer-distances. At medium distances it's also more like a 3/280mm lens at the long end, compared to an old Nikkor 300/2.8 and a AF-S 200/2 with TC-14E.

Nov 23, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 120-300

Sigh

Some of my comments from other 120-300 threads :

Also consider the previous OS version (NOT the no OS version) if you want to save US$1,500+ on the new Sport. Optically they are the same, cosmetically slightly different, and of course without the USB Dock electronics. A superb lens with the Sigma x1.4 and 2.0 TCs.

The D3s has great high ISO so about a match for the D800E I use. I have used this lens in NZ's rain-forests and it performed admirably. The f2.8 is of course a great bonus when light is so poor that you can not use TCs.

The Sigma TCs unsurprisingly work best on the 120-300. There is a huge thread on the 120-300 on POTN where virtually all TCs have been tried and discussed and there is clear consensus on which are best.

I tried filing down the tab on the TC14EII but it still isn't as good as Sigma's own EX DG versions (not the earlier ones).

Sport version : Optically and mechanically (not electrically as of course the USB tuning circuitry has been added) the same as the previous OS version. It works very well with the Sigma TCs (x1.4 and x2.0) and I had no hesitation using it with the Sigma x2.0.

The OS is going to make a difference in poorly lit venues.

Frog do you know if it works with Nikon Teleconverters? : You have to file off a little metal tab (easily done and doesn't have any affect on using the TC with Nikon lenses - you can find the instructions with a quick Google). The Nikon TC14EII worked OK for me .... but the Sigma is better. The Kenko 300 is another good one.

The Sigma x2 works superbly on the 120-300 so you really don't need to look anywhere else.

FWIW - I had the lug removed on the TC14EII so I could use it on the 120-300, it wasn't as good as the Kenko 300. I didn't bother having the TC20EIII lug removed as the Sigma x2 is so good !

There is a 100 page thread covering all versions of the 120-300 on Photography-On-The-Net

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 120-300

I looked at B/H and saw two different listing for the Sigma 120-300 and a difference of $1000+. What is the difference?

Nov 24, 2013 at 02:21 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 120-300

The more expensive one is the latest version from their Sport line, it has improved electronics, a focus limiter switch and is compatible with the Sigma USB Dock to customize the focus.

Vic

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 120-300

runakid wrote:
I looked at B/H and saw two different listing for the Sigma 120-300 and a difference of $1000+. What is the difference?

I guess you didn't read the post I made above

Also : http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-120-300mm-f2.8-EX-DG-OS-HSM-S-Canon-and-Nikon-mount-lens-review-Prime-image-quality-in-a-zoom

Nov 24, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 120-300

This reviewer found a few issues with the handling of the lens.

http://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-120-300mm-f2-8-dg-os-hsm

Nov 24, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 120-300

Alistair1 wrote:
This reviewer found a few issues with the handling of the lens.

http://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-120-300mm-f2-8-dg-os-hsm

Well it depends on what you term issues, he still gave it 4 to 5 stars in most of the important areas

Basically his main gripe is the handling (for him) and he repeats what I said above Also consider the previous OS version (NOT the no OS version) if you want to save US$1,500+ on the new Sport. Optically they are the same, cosmetically slightly different, and of course without the USB Dock electronics

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 120-300

Frogfish wrote:
Well it depends on what you term issues, he still gave it 4 to 5 stars in most of the important areas

Basically his main gripe is the handling (for him) and he repeats what I said above

Like I said - he "found a few issues with the handling of the lens".

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:40 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 120-300

What does the dock do?

Nov 25, 2013 at 07:48 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 120-300

runakid wrote:
What does the dock do?

The dock lets you update the firmware, AF tune the lens for different focal lengths and focus distances, set up focus range (minimum focus distance); and finally set the focus speed priority (speed, accuracy or normal). Additionally, the lens itself has two custom sets and you can customize each one for different VR modes, focus limit and AF speeds via the dock.

Nov 25, 2013 at 09:03 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 120-300

Alistair1 wrote:
Like I said - he "found a few issues with the handling of the lens".

I had three of those lenses in Nikon and Canon mounts and that's pretty much what I experienced but I didn't understand how the reviewer could have given 4-5 stars for any categories except build and sharpness.

I will say, when the lens did focus, the images were excellent but it was the most frustrating piece of photographic equipment I have ever owned.

Here are images from the archives taken with the Sigma 120-300 and Nikon D2H from 2004.

I have since tried the later versions and found little or no difference in the performance from my first experience with the lens.

Good luck with your decision,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 120-300

I think your pictures were great. I am sorry you didn't like the pictures. I cn understand you might not be happy with the lens though.

Did you try fixing the lens using the dock. Not sure what it does but I guess it helps.

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:41 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 120-300

runakid wrote:
I think your pictures were great. I am sorry you didn't like the pictures. I cn understand you might not be happy with the lens though.

Did you try fixing the lens using the dock. Not sure what it does but I guess it helps.

These represent a tiny percentage of good shots from the Sigma 120-300.

The auto focus was just too unpredictable but the lens is sharp.

As a professional sports photographer, I just couldn't take a chance on losing as many shots as I did over the short time I was using the Sigma 120-300.

I have just found that a Nikon or Canon 300 f/2.8 is as good as it gets as far as AF and overall performance and while the Sigma offers the zooming capability, the bad points far outweigh the good.

That's just my take,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 120-300

Lee, I can understand and second your thoughts/feelings about this lens. My first copy was completely unusable, the second great for static and pretty close subjects, but not for sports. AF was not too slow, but unpredictable. In terms of IQ I've found the AF-S 200/2 with TC-14 and TC-17 to be much better than the Sigma.
The focal-length-range coupled with f/2.8 of the Sigma is ideal for a lot of sports, let's see if the latest version proves to be more or less trouble-free...

Nov 25, 2013 at 07:18 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 120-300

georgms wrote:
Lee, I can understand and second your thoughts/feelings about this lens. My first copy was completely unusable, the second great for static and pretty close subjects, but not for sports. AF was not too slow, but unpredictable. In terms of IQ I've found the AF-S 200/2 with TC-14 and TC-17 to be much better than the Sigma.
The focal-length-range coupled with f/2.8 of the Sigma is ideal for a lot of sports, let's see if the latest version proves to be more or less trouble-free...

I hope the new Sigma 120-300 lens is a success...

That focal length is perfect for rodeo, horse shows, ice hockey, figure skating, volleyball and basketball from the opposite end of the court to the top of the key at the near end of the court.

Maybe Nikon or Canon could up with a similar range f/2.8 lens and it would be incredible...but probably expensive and would take away business from those of us who have also purchased f/2.8 70-200's as well as 300-400 primes and 2-4 bodies for covering some sporting events.

There are some times I'd like to cover an event with one lens and camera body with emergency-only spares in my bag and a 100-300 f/2.8 mm lens, with a matched 1.4 teleconverter, would do the trick for most everything but golf, soccer, football and motorsports.

Barrel racing and figure skating are two sports I cover extensively where you are following one subject, at a time, with a very predictable path of movement and zoom in and out as needed but a 70-200 is just too short at the second and third barrel and a figure skater at the far end of the ice rink with a D3/D3s or D4 in FX.

The 200-400 is one fantastic lens but there are times when the lighting is such that a f/2.8 lens is minimum and 80-400 has a variable aperture which eliminates it from indoor or under the lights events.

...just my thoughts...

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Nov 25, 2013 at 09:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.