Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Kandi Zakarian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

I heading out to the Big Island in December and sort of decided that I was going to take the minimalist approach to gear on my trip. I've done a bit of research and now I'm wondering if my idea will work. Here was my plan:

5D mark III
50 mm f/1.8
24-105 f/4 IS
and maybe my Samyang 14mm f/2.8

I really wasn't thinking about taking my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II or any tele's as I was trying to keep it light. Also, is taking a tripod a must. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Kandie

Nov 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Kandi Zakarian wrote:
I heading out to the Big Island in December and sort of decided that I was going to take the minimalist approach to gear on my trip. I've done a bit of research and now I'm wondering if my idea will work. Here was my plan:

5D mark III
50 mm f/1.8
24-105 f/4 IS
and maybe my Samyang 14mm f/2.8

I really wasn't thinking about taking my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II or any tele's as I was trying to keep it light. Also, is taking a tripod a must. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Kandie

A tripod is a must for sunrise / sunset shots and to blur the ocean waves. If you use GND filters take them. Polarizer filter is also good to take. Personally, unless you are into taking extreme wide angle shots, I would skip the 14mm and just have the zoom and the 50mm for night shots.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Kandi Zakarian
• •
p.1 #3 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Thanks. I was thinking about renting a 16-35 or maybe a 17-40, or do you think the 24-105 will do just fine. I've also been reading that quite a few people take there 70-200 with them. Not quite sure on that one.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

I'd go with the 16-35 or 17-40 if you could. And your set of GNDs and your CP.

John

Nov 24, 2013 at 02:44 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

I always find plenty use for the 70-200/4 IS, certainly more than an ultrawide.

EBH

Nov 24, 2013 at 02:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

actually a 70-200+
windsurfers/surfers/the sections of the island you see but know you aren't going to hike to

the 24-105 will be the most used lens

Nov 24, 2013 at 02:32 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Having been to Hawaii many times, my most used lens was the 24-105, 2nd most used was the 70-200, and least used was the 17-40. With the ISO capability of the 5D3 and wanting to go minimalist, I'd pack the 24-105, 70-200, 5D3, filters & other std stuff in the carry on and put the tripod plus ball head in the suit case.

Get there safely, shoot and above all, have fun!

...and when back, show us what you did

Matt

Nov 24, 2013 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kandi Zakarian
• •
p.1 #8 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Thanks everyone for your help. Matt, I think you're suggestion is the way I'll probably end up going. This being such a long flight I wanted to go light and I think those 2 lenses and some filters will do the trick. Thanks again.

Kandie

Nov 24, 2013 at 04:02 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #9 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Kandi, what type of shooting do you enjoy? Have you been to Hawaii? Why are you going? The mission dictates the gear. If you are into sunset/rise and landscape, the 24-105 and a 17-40 will be great. It is my most used kit when I go for set/rise landscape. Also, a tripod and CP are a necessity. Take any other filters you have. I am in Hawaii twice a year. I will be there in two weeks on the Northshore for the surfing competition. Hence my landscape set up is secondary to long range shooting.

I have only taken my 70-200 once and only took three pics. Therefore with how I shoot, I leave it home and I have both the f4 is and 2.8 vII. If going to shoot wildlife and surfers, take a long lens. If going for a family trip where photography is not a priority, go light. For landscape wide is good. If going for photo only take all your fav lens. Define the mission and take the gear to get it accomplished. You have been given some great advice, but only you know what you want to accomplish.

Good luck and have a great time.

Cheers, Steve

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Kandi Zakarian
• •
p.1 #10 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Steve, the trip is a birthday present from my partner. We've never been to Hawaii and will spend 12 days on the Big Island. At the moment I shoot lots of sports but am not going to Hawaii for that. I would say sunset/rise and landscape will be the majority of my shooting while we are there. Thanks for your advice.

Kandie

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #11 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

I would still probably take the 14mm for some wide shots. It doesn't take up much room and is much better than many of the Canon wides. It's a better option than renting a 17-40 or 16-35. If you wanted to rent anything, maybe a 70-200 f4 to lighten your load and skip your 2.8 or a 70-300. I would also bring a polarizing filter and some ND filters so I can blur waterfalls.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
skier860

p.1 #12 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

Since your going to the Big Island you may want to take pictures of the volcano both at night and during the day. At night it is breath taking. Not sure how active it is now but that is easy to check. If you do a tripod is essential and you will definitely need the 70-200 and may want more.

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:22 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #13 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

I hate to say this, but you've got to discover your own style. Be bold! Take that 70-200 and see what you can get. You can do amazing things with any lens, but you have to spend some time with one lens and get in the mindset for composing with that focal length. Sometimes I go out with ONLY a 300mm prime or ONLY a 28mm prime and focus on what cool compositions I can grab with whatever I decided to take. I find I consistently come back with better shots than if I took multiple focal lengths, because I was less distracted!

Or take both with you, leave one in your hotel and take the other one out, swap every time you go out.

Edited on Nov 26, 2013 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:48 PM
codyconway
• •
p.1 #14 · What lenses to take on my trip to Hawaii

As others have suggested:
Define your goals - what do you want to photograph the most (general street photography, places, landscapes, wildlife, surfers).

Know your style, and what you need to accomplish those goals as stated.

When I went to hawaii I lugged along a 300 F4 IS, 70-200 F2.8 IS, And 17-40. Depending on where I went, made me know what to bring.

IF you go to a luau, you will want and need a 70-200 F2.8 IS with you. Without it you will not be able to capture images very well. The luau I attended did not start until after sunset, and was light with stage lighting that you would be accustomed to at a theater / play.

For sunsets - I brought my tripod, but a lot of times I never lugged it around. Instead, I found myself finding a nice rock and playing the balance and timer act since most of this was done during evening beach walks.

Lastly - invest in an underwater camera if you plan to go to the beach. Can be cheap. Just something to capture those moments. A Go Pro with underwater body is always fun, Nikon AW100 is a fine camera in its own right and what I used, but the IQ is nothing more than "family memory" worthy.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password