Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Laptop graphics minimums

mcaruso753

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laptop graphics minimums

Hey,
I am looking at getting a new laptop for my wife and I. I'm needing something that's gonna be able to handle photoshop and lightroom, as well as do a little, but not much, gaming. Obviously I'm not wanting to pay for something I don't really need, so I'm really wondering about the graphics card requirements.

Does anyone know how the integrated intel 4600, Nvidia 740M, and Nvidia 760M might compare in real life use for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laptop graphics minimums

the 4600 is the bare minimum and uses the onboard system ram. the NVidia 740/760/770 are the powerhouses. many better laptops today have nvidia optimus tech in them. for the mundane use the machine uses the built on the chip 4600 when a heavy graphics load goes online it seamlessly kicks over to the on the board NVidia discrete video with its own built in fast memory unloading the CPU.
many graphics based programs like PS and DxO use CUDA (NVidia), openGL and OpenCL(AMD) languages to up the performance by using the discreet GPU and its very fast available discreet memory

the difference in performance for said programs is very noticeable. so is the power drain if on battery. you can turn it on and off to from the discreet cards control panel.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

the intel 4600 is a good chip but doesn't quite have near the capabilities of discrete products

I have the 4600 in my surface pro 2

Edited on Nov 24, 2013 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laptop graphics minimums

Just a side note re: graphics requirements for gaming. I successfully played games whose minimum stated specs were nVidia GT/GTX XXX cards on a Lenovo G460 - which has NO dedicated graphics card - plugged into a Samsung SA350 monitor.

It was interesting that with NO card I could still play games even though the laptop was WAY below spec.

Now, go and get a beast.

Nov 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laptop graphics minimums

that all depends on the game and what you consider playable

Nov 23, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laptop graphics minimums

Trust me, I know.

Nov 23, 2013 at 06:27 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laptop graphics minimums

You should definitely upgrade from the integrated graphics because the integrated graphics uses the main RAM. That will tend to slow down other memory-intensive programs (like Photoshop).

Nov 23, 2013 at 06:42 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laptop graphics minimums

Be aware that Lightroom doesn't use any graphics card acceleration for image editing. It only uses OpenGL when playing videos.

Personally i am using onboard Intel HD4000 on my editing workstation at home and it runs LR and PS no problem. I don't do much in PS that would use the graphics card though.

Nov 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laptop graphics minimums

My early-2011 15.4" MacBookPro8,2 with i7-2720QM 2.2GHz 16GB, HD3000 and AMD Radeon 6750M GDDR5 1GB handles all my PS CS 5.5 and Aperture needs just fine. I don't game, so I can't comment there. You could save some serious coin by going with a previous-gen model if the specs suit your needs.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laptop graphics minimums

15Bit wrote:
Be aware that Lightroom doesn't use any graphics card acceleration for image editing. It only uses OpenGL when playing videos.

Personally i am using onboard Intel HD4000 on my editing workstation at home and it runs LR and PS no problem. I don't do much in PS that would use the graphics card though.

PS6/cc does and will continue to evolve in its use. DxO definitely does and needs it as it is the slowest starting program i use.
in addition more and more plug-ins use it too.

you will as time progress see the untapped GPU processing power being accessed more and more.

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laptop graphics minimums

I was actually expecting that LR5 would be OpenCL accelerated and had budgeted for a midrange card. I was quite surprised that it wasn't.

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:00 PM
mcaruso753

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laptop graphics minimums

Thanks everybody for the tips and advice. I'm looking at this one...

http://www.frys.com/product/7701398?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I feel like this should beast through anything I throw at it. I'm using a D7000, so no ginormous D800 files here. The only game I've played lately is COD2 (yes.. the one that's like 10 years old) so I have no doubt this will take care of that. The only other game I may anticipate playing would be Starcraft II now that I'll have a machine to handle it.

Any additional thoughts on that laptop?

Thanks,
Mark

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laptop graphics minimums

We bought Lenovo 530 Thinkpads. Can be ordered with i5 or i7 Intel processor, separate video card, up to 16GB RAM, 1GB Ethernet, USB 3, Bluetooth, DVD burner, and the best keyboards on the planet. Lenovo also provide US based tech support out of Atlanta so if you do need help the person's English will be better and their knowledge level will be far better. The trackpoint for me works much better than the pressure pad when I don't care to use a mouse. Also full HDMI (video and sound) port.

Avoid the laptops with Intel graphics as they use the much slower PC RAM instead of dedicated VRAM. There are good laptops made by other companies but the tech support is marginal at best.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laptop graphics minimums

On a related note, which manufacturers (except Apple, I don't like Macs) make the best-calibrated laptop screens and can any do 100% sRGB?

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:02 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laptop graphics minimums

Rather than thinking about 'which graphics', I would first more carefully consider 'which monitor', when considering what to use for Photoshop and/or Lightroom! Most laptops lack controls for Brightness and Contrast adjustment, like discrete monitors have. Most software and calibration adjustments products assume you have brightness and contrast adjusted to a certain point, before you attempt to use the product for increasing accuracy of hue reproduction.

Dec 01, 2013 at 05:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laptop graphics minimums

wuxiekeji wrote:
On a related note, which manufacturers (except Apple, I don't like Macs) make the best-calibrated laptop screens and can any do 100% sRGB?

many have limited calibrate ability but not near as good as some desktop models
light blue triangle inside all the others is :sRGB
the magenta triangle is: NTSC.
the yellow overlapping the NTSC at various points is adobe RGB
the filled in triangle is my desktop monitor (not my laptop)
my laptop covers 95% NTSC values so sRGB is
contained within that. when calibrated it makes a
large difference and is quite close to my desktop monitor

Adobe RGB is quite a bit wider closer to NTSC

these are all well over sRGB

Edited on Dec 02, 2013 at 03:22 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Photodiode3142

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Laptop graphics minimums

Forgive me if there are any uploading mistakes, as I am new to Fred Miranda. For me, productivity in post-processing and viewing images depends on both a high-resolution, high-gamut display and on a decent graphics card/processor combination. Although powerful processing components are not necessary, they can make using Photoshop and Lightroom very efficient, leaving time for other things. Components-wise, if your wife is going to be using her new laptop for occasional image processing, the Nvidia GeForce 740M would most likely be more than enough. I, personally, would choose a rather inexpensive GPU and use any savings for a good, multi-threaded CPU, such as a Core i5 or even an i7, and for a decent screen. Image processing doesn't rely as much on the GPU as it does on the CPU, similarly to in-camera processing.

Good Luck.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Laptop graphics minimums

not these days depending on the image processing product and plug-ins you use. as you said more efficient.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password