Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · question: are my captions readable?

jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · question: are my captions readable?

Attention young whippersnappers, the term is "fogey"...f o g e y...as in "old fogey". Yes I am just about there, and I do not feel beset by such assertions. In fact I am currently reveling in the knowledge that should any of you be so fortunate to reach such a ripe age, yourselves, that you, too, will have your own, yet unborn, crop of impertinent upstarts to contend with at that time. In the meantime, make stuff "so we can see it"...or don't get upset that we didn't.

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · question: are my captions readable?

jimmy462 wrote:
Attention young whippersnappers, the term is "fogey"...f o g e y...as in "old fogey". Yes I am just about there, and I do not feel beset by such assertions. In fact I am currently reveling in the knowledge that should any of you be so fortunate to reach such a ripe age, yourselves, that you, too, will have your own, yet unborn, crop of impertinent upstarts to contend with at that time. In the meantime, make stuff "so we can see it"...or don't get upset that we didn't.

my apologies, the term fell out of favor before my time. i do recall hearing people use the term whippersnappers in my youth though.

p.s. don't worry, we're working on making stuff so you can see again. in the mean time you can take advantage of our superior sensory abilities to keep us off your lawn: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/23/high-pitch-only-teens-can_n_98304.html

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · question: are my captions readable?

I'm approaching fogeyhood but notice a substantial difference in readability depending on time of day. I have a less than optimal location near a window and this morning, with a lot of light, both were difficult to read, with 20 being almost readable, 15, less so. With late afternoon light, both are OK.

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · question: are my captions readable?

I thought he was talking about condensation on his glasses.

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:03 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · question: are my captions readable?

sebboh wrote:
my apologies, the term fell out of favor before my time. i do recall hearing people use the term whippersnappers in my youth though.

p.s. don't worry, we're working on making stuff so you can see again. in the mean time you can take advantage of our superior sensory abilities to keep us off your lawn: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/23/high-pitch-only-teens-can_n_98304.html

I clearly recall being cornered by old man Volk and his cane while, um, liberating some of his string beans with some of my fellow 5-year-old hoodlum buddies one summer. With a stern look, and then a smirk, he let me escape, perhaps remembering a similar escapade from his long-gone youth. I can still do a decent quarter-mile, and I don't yet need a cane...so you'll have to "earn" those tomatoes come July!

Edit: P.S. I could hear all of the tones in that video...guess I didn't play my Hendrix as loud as I thought.

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:16 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · question: are my captions readable?

dcjs wrote:
This is still, at it's core, a gear-related forum and I come here to learn about the capabilities of alternative photographic gear. If I see some great images in the process like Philipps - all the better, but if that was my only goal, I'd be wrong in a gear-related forum. I personally find it very annoying when people don't include basic equipment information even in clearly gear-specific threads, and I find it very nice of Phillip to not only include it, but also be such a perfectionist about it.

Oh yeah, for a gear forum I agree, I shoot with 100% alt lenses so I understand. But usually what I would do in that case is indicate what was used outside the image itself (such as in the message body) and leave the image itself unadulterated. Sometimes I may cross-post to another forum (and not necessarily on FM) that's more focusing on the artistic aspects, and in those cases I wouldn't want people to get distracted from composition details with too much text. And then for the gear forum where composition isn't the point, I write it at the top of the message or similar.

I guess also because all my gear is really alt, I don't even have a single chipped lens, nothing ever records the EXIF correctly (all my images read 50mm f/0 ...), so I just wipe it completely. 99.99% of the time I can tell by looking at my images which lenses I used, at least because every time I go out I don't carry more than 2-3 lenses at once so I usually remember easily based on what the picture is of, even if it's years ago. If it's a gear forum I'll indicate, and if it's an artistic forum I don't.

Nov 25, 2013 at 08:56 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.