Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D classic shutter dying?

jrrhodes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D classic shutter dying?

Hi all, I've never had a shutter go bad, but my 5D classic has been actually really weird for the past few days. Very often when shooting the shutter seems to stick and I get err 99 on the lcd. Any idea what is going on?

Just the other day I was going to clean the sensor and the after a couple of tests shots this happened and it looked like the curtains are getting hung.

Thanks!
J.R.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:33 PM
scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D classic shutter dying?

As you say, looks like the shutter is dying. Time for a trip to Canon

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:44 PM
jrrhodes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D classic shutter dying?

scottam10 wrote:

Thanks very much. I might finally consider an upgrade!

J.R.

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:12 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D classic shutter dying?

isn't replacing the shutter on a 5Dc worthwhile? Presumably the increased market value with a replacement shutter compared to with a broken shutter is higher than the repair cost. And once the repair is made, you're back in the same boat as you before it failed (though with less money to spend on the upgrade). So, my question is, why is after a shutter fails the right time to upgrade?

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D classic shutter dying?

I don't think a shutter replacement is inexpensive compared to the current market value used of about $500-$525 in good working condition.
They are certainly sought after cameras and you likely could Ebay it and come out in good shape without the investment IMO.

However you might try a local camera repair shop to have them evaluate the situation since it might be a more simple fix, lube job or such.
The hardest part would be deciding what you would replace it with

Just had my mirror come loose on my 5D, fast and courteous service from Canon at no cost to me, thank you Canon

Karl

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:55 AM
jrrhodes
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D classic shutter dying?

rongoe wrote:
isn't replacing the shutter on a 5Dc worthwhile? Presumably the increased market value with a replacement shutter compared to with a broken shutter is higher than the repair cost. And once the repair is made, you're back in the same boat as you before it failed (though with less money to spend on the upgrade). So, my question is, why is after a shutter fails the right time to upgrade?

I think it is worthwhile to fix and I'm sure I will get it done. I've just been in a market for something a bit more modern and was using this issue to justify the purchase

J.R.

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:55 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D classic shutter dying?

Nothing wrong with a juicy rationalization. They're more important than sex, according to Jeff Goldblum in The Big Chill. "When was the last time you went a week without a rationalization?"

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D classic shutter dying?

Oddly enough, I had a harder time selling my 5D's with replaced shutters. I think many people in the used marketplace have the expectation that they should be buying a brand new camera for $350 and a replaced shutter, despite making the camera new internally, means higher use. But I was asking for more money for my 5D's because they had new shutters, but the price never seemed to be the issue, more questions about the shutter than anything else and then reacting that it was a bad thing which never made sense to me. Although selling gear seems to be different based on what month you decide to sell in.

Does any part of the Canon loyalty program have anything with broken gear? If so, this might be a good opportunity for a trade in. The only reason I replaced the shutters on my 5D's was to use them as a backup but after getting my 5D3's I soon found out I'd never pick them up again so I sold them.

rongoe wrote:

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D classic shutter dying?

scottam10 wrote:

Given the current used sale prices on the 5D - which I've been looking into, as I have one to sell soon - it may not make economic sense to pay for the repair. I'm not sure what the cost is, but I had to do a shutter replacement on my 5D a few years ago, right after the 5D2 came out, and it seems to me that the cost wasn't much different than the current market price for a used 5D. (You might contact Canon to see what the price is these days.)

Take care,

Dan

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D classic shutter dying?

cineski wrote:
Oddly enough, I had a harder time selling my 5D's with replaced shutters. I think many people in the used marketplace have the expectation that they should be buying a brand new camera for $350 and a replaced shutter, despite making the camera new internally, means higher use. But I was asking for more money for my 5D's because they had new shutters, but the price never seemed to be the issue, more questions about the shutter than anything else and then reacting that it was a bad thing which never made sense to me. Although selling gear seems to
...Show more

There are other moving parts which wear along with the shutter that don't usually get replaced with a shutter replacement. The mirror assembly for example. So while the shutter may be new the other parts have wear and that affects the camera's value.

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.