New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · What's up with Flickr?

Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's up with Flickr?

They just ruined the whole site. Everything is messed up and I'm obviously not alone thinking so.

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/230781-flickr-photo-page-beta-2/

Edit 2013-12-07: Wohooo! Everything is back like it was!

Edited on Dec 07, 2013 at 02:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:20 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's up with Flickr?

This has been ongoing for some weeks. I think Flickr felt a lot of pressure from the increasing popularity of 500px.com and other sites with more modern layouts. Unfortunately, Flickr seems to have lost a lot of the user-friendliness and ease-of-use of the old layout, in their eagerness to make it purdy.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's up with Flickr?

The worst thing about flickr (came with an earlier update) is the "frontpage" that keeps on loading images. I can't even click on the links below, because they keep disappearing.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:32 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's up with Flickr?

It's still as ugly as it always was. I started using 500px and have not looked back.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's up with Flickr?

It took me like half an hour to figure out how to show images at their full size. Really "user friendly". What are they thinking?

http://seriewikin.serieframjandet.se/images/f/fa/Markeringar_Tintin.jpg

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's up with Flickr?

Can 5oopx images be embedded here at FM? I may have to look into that...

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's up with Flickr?

I can imagine that heavy users of flickr are upset, but for a casual visitor like me, the full screen browsing of galleries seems to work a lot better than what I remember from the past.

Having said that, I think that many websites with "matured" user bases are taking a gamble when they update their site design without asking their users.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:58 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's up with Flickr?

Flickr changed to a new design/interface/crapheap in late May of this year. As you've discovered, much of the way you habitually interfaced with the site is now hidden from view, to emphasize the size of the image and have it float on a black background.

In concept it sounds OK but like most crappy Google UIs, options/settings must be "unfurled" from hidden or pretty icons. In short, Flickr, like Yahoo! Mail has become a another victim of what I call "tabletization trend" where screen real estate and "pretty" are the main drivers of how pages are laid out. It's a mess, these obfuscated UIs and I take solace in the fact that in the relentless drive to re-invent the wheel, the fads/trends may come full circle again and we'll leave these clean, polished but ultimately quite inferior UIs behind.

Rant: Yahoo! Mail was fantastic, with its multiple tabs and and myriad options, but Yahoo! gone and wrecked it some months ago. Really, I'm fed up, it was a fantastic mail application until the change. Never in the 15 years have I been using a Yahoo! service have I been so put off by anything they've done. It its current sorry state, it barely useable.

I'll stick with Flickr for now but I hope there is someway to save or reproduce an off-site version of all my work, titles, comments, geotags, etc. After Mayer's Yahoo! has been bumbling around, I want a way to preserve the time I've put into it, should I pull the plug someday on my Flickr presence.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's up with Flickr?

Actually, I like the new beta layout and I just now tried it.

I still HATE the photo stream with an undying passion, though.

With the image-viewing stream, though, a few tweaks and I'd like it a lot.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's up with Flickr?

I hate this new layout..thinking of not renewing my account there unless they don't go back to the old layout

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:12 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's up with Flickr?

If you're talking about Flick, it ain't beta...it's out there in full and won't be put back in bottle.

I can live with the image justification layout which apes Google image search, but they need to find a was to speed it the hell up. On my home connection, it's a non-starter.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:13 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's up with Flickr?

Really? Very fast here where I'm at, and it was beta for me and it'll allow me to revert.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's up with Flickr?

WTF has this subject got to do with this forum?

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's up with Flickr?

Makten wrote:
It took me like half an hour to figure out how to show images at their full size. Really "user friendly". What are they thinking?

http://seriewikin.serieframjandet.se/images/f/fa/Markeringar_Tintin.jpg

how do you do it? i haven't switched to the new look yet and i don't want to waste half an hour.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:32 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's up with Flickr?

Imagemaster wrote:
WTF has this subject got to do with this forum?

We're looking for alternatives...

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's up with Flickr?

U.C. wrote:
We're looking for alternatives...

Well then, you could always try posting here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/18

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's up with Flickr?

I agree, the beta is horrendous.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:05 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's up with Flickr?

cputeq wrote:
Really? Very fast here where I'm at, and it was beta for me and it'll allow me to revert.

Tell me more, please. I'd love to have the white interface back (the prior) and ditch the black (present).

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's up with Flickr?

sebboh wrote:
how do you do it? i haven't switched to the new look yet and i don't want to waste half an hour.

You click the "three dots" on the right, and then in the next view you click the "three dots" again (they look a bit different this time). Now you'll have the option to show all sizes. Totally retarded. Impossible to find if you're not a Flickr user.

http://www.pagecovers.com/user-covers/04-13-2013/captain_haddock_-_revenge.jpg

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:24 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's up with Flickr?

You can switch back to the old interface, I tried the new one and didn't like it. With all that negative feedback it would be weird if they forced to implement it in the future.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.