Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Greg Campbell wrote:
chuckle with evil glee at the thought of them spending the next 5.6 years hunkered over their computer, attempting to find, and then 'fix,' the few random keepers that may have survived the Rambo-inspired massacre.

This happened to me BUT it was due to 947 other people in the canyon shooting and being in my shots. Using flash and such..never understood. Guess I need to go back.. on the coldest day

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

I'm not convinced of the time-lapse theory. To get smooth cloud motion, you really need single-digit seconds between shots. A movie made of 30~60 second interval shots will look awful.

hahaha....man this thread is full of some arrogant know nothing know it alls. Bef

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

time2clmb wrote:
hahaha....man this thread is full of some arrogant know nothing know it alls. Bef

Would you mind elaborating? I've done a bit of time lapse myself, and I often find that a 1 to 5 second interval works best when shooting cloud motion. Perhaps you have some insight that we are not aware of.

Nov 24, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

time2clmb wrote:

And one grammatically challenged troll!

Clouds swirling in Yosemite Valley will likely move fairly rapidly. The time threshold for smooth animation will depend on the subject's angular velocity and the FOV the lens you're using, not the snottiness of your opinion. Assuming you wish to make something beyond a crude animated gif cartoon, you're going to need short time intervals.

I've shot time lapse sequences of developing thunderstorms here in Az and can say with some assurance that 5 seconds on a 50mm equivalent lens is not quite adequate. Playback at ~30 fps starts to look really nice at a capture rate of 1 or 2 seconds per frame. (Just try not to think of the thousands of shutter cycles sucking the life from your camera!)

Edited on Nov 25, 2013 at 01:27 AM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

It's funny that in a so called creative pursuit so many people have the "my way the wrong way attitude". Maybe others are learning or trying a new to them technique, maybe they are happy to snap their way through such tourist attractions rather than take one perfect shot....

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

andyjaggy82 wrote:
They very well could have been doing that for something else, work related even and weren't there for the photography. I don't know, I am disturbed by how often photographers love to judge each other, the condemnation and snobbery of those who look down on others who may stand in lines of people and shoot the same icon, or gasp even shoot out their car windows. We all have our own reasons for doing what we do, and if they are enjoying themselves and experiencing nature how they like to experience it then good for them.

Just like with most things in life, if you work very hard for something, you will appreciate it much more than if it was given to you. I view icon shots like the participation trophy I received in little league. It was new and shiny, but I didn't work hard for it, and I surely didn't earn it. I remember thinking to myself that everyone got a trophy, so it really didn't mean anything.

I've taken icon shots like this in the past, and it felt very empty. I wasn't very proud of the shots because I know I didn't work for them. I was simply doing the exact same thing as all the other photographers.

I like to encourage photographers to find their own subjects, and think creatively. If you consider this Snobbery, then I am a very proud and creative snob.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

dswiger wrote:
OK, I admit it, the iPad shooters still seem odd, but that's me

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Ben Horne wrote:
I view icon shots like the participation trophy I received in little league. It was new and shiny, but I didn't work hard for it, and I surely didn't earn it. I remember thinking to myself that everyone got a trophy, so it really didn't mean anything.

o man.. you got a trophy too?!?? i thought i was special

great analogy btw

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

All I can think when I see someone shooting with their ipad is that the iphone in their pocket has a better camera.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

OK, an apology.
I started this thread thinking my tongue-in-cheek humor was somehow going to be interpreted as, well "humorous" or cute..
It was supposed to be a contrast of my old-school POV to the new-school art-forms and my confusion.
It wasn't meant to be a put down.
What's that saying your mom would use? "If you can't say something nice, then....."

I think I blew it. Instead I started something that has created a few pissin' contests/arguments.
Not something i intended or would be proud of.

Sorry for the misuse of the forum

Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:03 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

As punishment Dan, I think you need to go out and shoot with the ipad only for a month. I'll drive by yosemite and heckle you when you ipad tunnel view

I apologize to those that ipad shoot - you are welcome to use whatever you like

Jason

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:41 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

roguecoolman wrote:
As punishment Dan, I think you need to go out and shoot with the ipad only for a month. I'll drive by yosemite and heckle you when you ipad tunnel view

I apologize to those that ipad shoot - you are welcome to use whatever you like

Jason

Bahahhaha

Nov 25, 2013 at 02:56 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Now that's cruel & unusual..... Never mind

Nov 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

dswiger wrote:
OK, an apology.
I started this thread thinking my tongue-in-cheek humor was somehow going to be interpreted as, well "humorous" or cute..
It was supposed to be a contrast of my old-school POV to the new-school art-forms and my confusion.
What's that saying your mom would use? "If you can't say something nice, then....."

I think I blew it. Instead I started something that has created a few pissin' contests/arguments.

Dan

You didn't use enough
Satire doesn't often work online especially in forums with so many serious hardcore photographers.

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:22 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Micky Bill wrote:
You didn't use enough
Satire doesn't often work online especially in forums with so many serious hardcore photographers.

Huh. I never get to photograph hardcore, seriously or in jest. How come you guys get all the fun?

Dave

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

dswiger wrote:
OK, an apology.

Dan

No apology seems necessary. The whole thing was straightened out in the first few posts - and (as we/I have all been guilty of doing) then there were some posts by folks who didn't know this.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:56 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Spray & Pray Shooting, Automated, Really???

Ok, I'm over it

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.