New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nik & Topaz

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nik & Topaz

I know you can just purchase various individual plugins for both software.

Presently use LR5 & PScs6.

Which are the more desirable plugins from each, or is It better to buy the entire collections.

Have no experience with either.

Is there a better ( smarter ) way to buy, giving you a better bang for the buck...

Much appreciated !!

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nik & Topaz

This is what trial versions are for. Everyone has different wants so no one can tell you what you need to do what YOU want. Get the trial versions and see what it is you like/need.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nik & Topaz

Can you buy the individ. NIK plugin's anymore? I kinda dont think so, esp since Google bought them and lowered the price.

WRT Topaz, there is some good stuff like Adjust, Denoise and I got ReMask (on sale) but there is also a lot of needless stuff.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nik & Topaz

Nik is only available as a collection for $149. http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I've only had it a few weeks but have played around with Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex pro and like the results I'm getting.

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:46 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nik & Topaz

Looks like the collection for Nik...

Now to figure out what are the most liked/used ( Popular ) plugin's from Topaz..

I do realize some folks may have certain needs..

Appreciate everyone's feed back thus far.

Nov 22, 2013 at 06:39 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nik & Topaz

I have the Nik collection and all of the topaz filters. I use Nik Color Efex, Viveza,Silver Efex and Define quite a bit. I use Topaz Detail, Denoise and I really like Remask. The Nik plugins would make my CS6 crash until the last update. Because of cost, if I had to choose one, I would probably go with Nik. But they are both good filter sets and you'd be fine with either.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:01 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nik & Topaz

I have had NIK for several years and really love most of the plugins. Not really into either of the NIK sharpen programs.

Tried Topaz before I bought NIK and wasn't really that impressed with the suite.

Also have DFX while is also a pretty good IMHO.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nik & Topaz

I've used and liked Nik for years, but have become rather disenchanted because they autoupdate the software. Nik used to be great, now it's unbearably slow on my elderly Mac Pro. I recently discovered that there is third-party software to prevent the autoupdates, but I can't recommend Nik until the user can decide whether they want to update or return to a previous version.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nik & Topaz

I have also used NIK for years. I belive it's very good. Especially with the new and much lower price. I also use the onOne Perfect Photo suite. Which I like very much

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:33 AM
328iGuy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nik & Topaz

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have also used NIK for years. I belive it's very good. Especially with the new and much lower price. I also use the onOne Perfect Photo suite. Which I like very much

These are my two GO TO tools for all of my processing. I can't live without either!

Waiting for the onOne 8.0 upgrade on the 26th #excited!

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nik & Topaz

328iGuy wrote:
These are my two GO TO tools for all of my processing. I can't live without either!

Waiting for the onOne 8.0 upgrade on the 26th #excited!

Yes the new 8,0 looks very nice. I have tried the beta

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:48 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nik & Topaz

I've used both NIK and Topaz for sometime. Each has strong points, but in my opinion neither is a complete plugin solution. I find NIK's Viveza and SilverEFX to be excellent. I don't see anything that really competes with SFX. Other programs in the suite aren't as useful. ColorEFX seems to work as advertised but I don't find it that useful. Their noise and sharpening tools aren't as good as other solutions. Topaz's programs seem less polished and slower than NIK and several are just trivial - like deJPEG or Stars. DeNoise is useful, as is Adjust and Clarity.

It seems to me that unless one is highly skilled with PS that there are other programs that do specialized things like HDR, panorama stitching, distortion correction, etc., work better. I've tried onOne and didn't find it compelling enough to add to or replace NIK and Topaz. What I haven't found anywhere since NoiseNinja became an editing program is a truly good NR program. Like others I'm also concerned about what NIK will become in the hands of Google.

Trying to be dispassionate, I'd say all of the add in collections have useful tools but their value varies. In other words I haven't found one that did everything well.

Robert

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nik & Topaz

lukeb wrote:
I have had NIK for several years and really love most of the plugins. Not really into either of the NIK sharpen programs.

Also have DFX while is also a pretty good IMHO.

+1
Niall

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:50 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.