Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Many Glacier in Early Winter

obsean

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Many Glacier in Early Winter

I went to Many Glacier Lodge last week with hopes of catching the peaks around there in their winter glory, but instead they were all shrouded in clouds. I wasn't to excited about my captures, until I converted them to black and white. I think they convey a sense of power in the mountains.

These are both HDR's. I tried very hard not to over process them. What do you think?

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
katzung1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Many Glacier in Early Winter

I much prefer #1. #2 does look a bit over-processed and over-contrasty.
Balance on #1 however, is perfect, and I like the comp better as well.
Bert

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Many Glacier in Early Winter

These are pretty cool. I think you processed them well. Where HDR seems to work best is with B&W conversions I have noticed. I like both, but in #1, I wish that think branch or trunk wasn't in the lower left corner. I would much rather be able to have a cleaner view of the shoreline down there. For me, I like the contrasty look in #2, it's B&W after all, and for me, I like when there is distinct Black and White.

I do like you working the B&W in these, do you have any other variations of these compositions?

How easy is it to get into there in the winter? Say end of December?

Jim

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:03 AM
obsean

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Many Glacier in Early Winter

Jim
I have never been in there in late December. But even when I was there last week, you have to walk in from the gate, around 5 or 6 miles. I talked to the guy who spends the winter there by himself. And he said that the road is generally snow free, except in the areas where the trees are, and the drifts get 20 to 30 feet deep. The wind blows extremely hard in that area, and scrubs all the snow off the lakes, roads, and anything else that is exposed. In fact the day I was there, it snowed all day, but the wind was blowing so hard, it was just going sideways and not sticking to anything.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.