New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lassen Volcanic Park

pinn8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I am looking for comments on the composition and processing of these images I took earlier this year at Lassen Volcanic National Park in California. Thanks for looking.

Reflection on Lake Manzanita

Reflection on Hat Lake

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I like the first one. You've made it square, which is fine, and in the context of your interest in composition I wonder what you cropped out. If you have a little more on the right it might be nice to balance what's on the left, but you'll lose the square shape. I guess in looking at it I do have the feeling that there's more to be seen on the RHS -- the water continues on etc., and it gives me the slight impression of only having part of a larger image. But this is a nit -- I like the image a lot.

The second one seems a bit flat somehow. I assume you've tried playing with the contrast etc. It's tough to get the exposure right at that time of day.

Just my two cents.
Keith

Nov 23, 2013 at 07:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I am a bit mixed about the crop on the first. A beautiful scene, somewhat serene, with nice color and soft reflections. I like square crops, but I keep wanting to take a tad off the bottom. Maybe a 4x5 orientation?
I like the crop on the second. And another nicely composed capture. In both I lean towards just a tad more contrast, but it is a matter of taste and the mood you want to create. Love the light on the mountain.
Scott

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:47 PM
pinn8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lassen Volcanic Park

Thank you for the comments, Keith & Scott. Here is a 4x5 re-crop of the first image with a bit more contrast. Is this more what you had in mind?

The area to the right of image #1 is some trees that are in extreme shadow, and were not very photogenic. This image was shot well after sunset (hence the 25" exposure).

I also attached a more contrasty version of image #2. Does this help, or does it still feel too flat?

Thanks again for the input.

-Steve

Image #1 recropped as a 4x5 with +20 contrast in LR

Image #2 with +25 contrast in LR

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lassen Volcanic Park

At 25s exposure for that time of day, you are illuminating your subject with very soft light and very blue light. Your CC for the WB is better than most folks do with such strong blue light. Still a bit of blue in the log, but that could be there @ AI=AR to the blue sky in the daylight anyway (subjective to retain or neutralize).

The uber-soft light affords a decision as to whether you are trying to present the mood for the time of the day, or you are going to need to add contrast to present for a more "daylight" look. In the original, it struck me as a bit incongruous because the luminance appeared to be daylight, but the contrast is softer than daylight would be. Balancing your PP contrast to the starting point of your lighting contrast to your desired presentation can be a judicious proposition.

Your changes to contrast in the rework bring the contrast more in line with "daylight", but I might look at using a mask to retain the lower contrast in the shadow areas as they would naturally be of lower contrast anyway.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I do like the re-crop of the first one better than the original -- the shadow areas on each side balance each other and frame the image, which I think is very nice.

The re-do of the second image certainly has more contrast but somehow it still doesn't send me. Somehow it seems like "just a picture of a mountain", while the other image really speaks.

Keith

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:56 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I am kinda with Keith, overall.
My brilliantly suggested crop does seem to improve the first.
And the second image, while pleasing and perhaps improved, is "just a nice picture". Nothing wrong with that of course. I have many that dont get that far.
Scott

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lassen Volcanic Park

I prefer the 1st pic with the updated cropping..

In the second image,the grass in the foreground is distracting..to me the key element is the light on the mountain and the reflection,,the grass in front pulls my eye away from it…

Just my .02.

Nov 24, 2013 at 09:47 PM
pinn8
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lassen Volcanic Park

Thank you all. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

-Steve

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lassen Volcanic Park

Love #2. I'm not a landscape photographer, but it seems like there's a lot of foreground water in #1. FWIW

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.