FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

After I realized that I won't be able to capture the sun rays lighting up the surf, as I was there during the wrong time of the year, I concentrated on trying to find a way to capture the brilliant colors of the setting sun at the Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur. It was late and the sun was already below the horizon, but I think I got some good colors and a decent foreground. The waves had reduced, so I was not able to capture some wild surf in this image.

I have it dark because it was getting dark when I made this image. However, I think I can pull the shadows, but I felt it would make it look artificial. What is your opinion?

As usual, your opinions and criticism are always welcome. Thank you for your time.

Maji

Pfeiffer Beach Sunset Colors _DSC9250_1 by _Maji_, on Flickr

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:20 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

Hey Maji,

The darker look here looks good I think. Man, you sure got some sweet color that night.

Jim

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:10 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

Thank you Jim for your kind words.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

I think it is a beautiful image and I would leave it dark as it is. However, the sharp distinction between the orange-dominated light on the left and purple-dominated the right is jarring. Now, I don't know whether the sky really had such a sharp delineation and this is just reflected in the water, or if it it has been enhanced by the processing, but whether fair or not it gives the impression of an artificial embellishment; a more gradual transition would seem more pleasing. But either way, the colors are fantastic and should be retained; it is only the transition that I'm addressing.

Dave

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset at Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

Thank you Dave for your comments. Very much appreciated. The image was taken using ND Grad Filter and CPL (forgot to take out CPL as light was falling fast), and then played with contrast and white balance in LR/CS6. Unfortunately, the way the natural light was, due to the clouds probably, there was some subtle demarcation that became more vivid/obvious when the contrast was increased in post processing. Thank you again for taking the time to view and offering constructive criticism. Very much appreciated.

Maji

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.