Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

has any one gotten over window 8?

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Rule 1- clean install

Rule 2- clean install

Rule 3- clean install

and you know you can clean install even with an upgrade disc

Have 4 machines ranging from now 8 years old to a just built operating the OS. I have had no more issues then when using W7. The only real issue i had was in the end on the newest machine i just built and it was a rough one. It was due to the newer EUFI BIOS which the board maker needed to tweak and finally did. It is my main desktop i use for editing. Solid as a rock.

Most people like to blame the OS where many a time the hardware makers that rest on their laurels and don't do their jobs with the drivers.

The performance either way is considerably better then 7 and 7 was good. Boot times decreased considerable even using spinning drives. My desktop had 10 sec knocked off that time to begin with. It is faster reacting and so far any software issues have been resolved by the software makers.
My epson 3800 printer driver was written in 2007 and works.
Nvidia video drivers have been sketchy per version update. But then that is them trying to squeeze every bit out of their products for the gamer. and
has been this way with all OS's
Many computer issues come out of video subsystem.
Most important is my nikon slide scanner 4000ED. Still working thanks to Vuescan.

The interface and what you CAN do with it had been discussed.

The 5 P's make it a lot easier and knowing that there might be initial issues when being the first to play with something.

Yes i do like the new interface and i have only one touch screen. i manage to muddle through on the others.

it is as was said the same old complaints when each new gen comes out.

UI- compared to what i have seen on many a desktop screen this is down and out clean and gives you more options

Edited on Nov 27, 2013 at 06:27 AM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
amacal1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · has any one gotten over window 8?

I have run Windows 8 (and 8.1) on my tablet, my netbook, and my desktop.

Long story short... I'm a fan.

On laptops that don't have a touch screen, I find it to be the most annoying way to use it. The large gesture area and need to move your cursor all over the screen to accomplish a task that used to be done in a small area of the screen is pretty clunky and frustrates me if I only have a touchpad.

Desktop use is less than ideal, but there are still a lot of advances made on this version, IMO, and overall the pros outweigh the cons for me.

On a tablet, it's a different story. Oh, man, is Windows 8 amazing on a tablet! I cannot express how much I enjoy using it. It's really that good. I have to give them loads of credit when I think about how they were able to make an OS that fantastic for tablet use without changing that much for desktop use. It's not perfect, but they really did a good job.

Windows 8.1 gives you a lot of tools to make it more desktop friendly than 8. You can make the background for metro the same background as your desktop and then make metro use the "all programs" view. When you do that, metro just becomes truly a full screen start menu. Is it really THAT bad?!!!

Nov 25, 2013 at 09:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · has any one gotten over window 8?

for many its mostly just inertia

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:44 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.2 #4 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Been running Win8 on my desktop and laptop since day 1. No problems. Love the start screen. Makes getting to my most-used programs instant instead of digging through menus.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · has any one gotten over window 8?

No, because 8 does not run some of my older apps and hardware. At this point I'll probably wait until 9.

EBH

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · has any one gotten over window 8?

pray tell what? if it runs generally on 7 it will run on 8

Nov 27, 2013 at 01:13 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · has any one gotten over window 8?

I can just see somebody eating fried chicken and leaving greasy streaks all over the monitor. Can you put a monitor in the dish washer?

Nov 27, 2013 at 05:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · has any one gotten over window 8?

runamuck wrote:
I can just see somebody eating fried chicken and leaving greasy streaks all over the monitor. Can you put a monitor in the dish washer?

certain apps have a hands free mode. using the camera built
in on the Surface to turn the page as needed with greasy hands.
it is app dependent (and that is the Food & Drink app) for now.

Nov 27, 2013 at 06:10 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password