Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

has any one gotten over window 8?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · has any one gotten over window 8?

and upgraded to window 8.1? how does it work? any thing closer to window 7?

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · has any one gotten over window 8?

I stopped counting at 7.

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:57 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · has any one gotten over window 8?

jcolwell wrote:
I stopped counting at 7.

I wish I could!
buying a new computer, you get a "new" window. That was when the 8 caught me!
I am in trouble ever since!

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · has any one gotten over window 8?

I have 8.1 on my desktop, laptop and surface pro 2. took me about a week initially to adapt to windows 8 along with a $5 program called Start 8 from Stardock. with Windows 8.1 I no longer use (for now) Start 8 on all but my laptop. I have adapted pretty easily to the Modern UI and use it 95% of the time. just sort of reminds me of most other windows screens
that people have with everything all over the place only a bit neater.

easier to go back and forth between the UIs
sorta got the start back but not quite. Start 8 takes care of the rest on either version
groupings are identifiable
and you have more sizings available for the modern UI tiles.
I do make use of the live tiles

Metro UI 8.1 alias " the start screen"

Desktop

Edited on Nov 21, 2013 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:06 AM
Erik_J
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Windows 8,1 looks the same as 8. Except that you have the start button in the corner

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Erik_J wrote:
Windows 8,1 looks the same as 8. Except that you have the start button in the corner

the 8.1 OS has a somewhat smaller footpring in the drive too. there are other things but there
is more then meets the eye to it. 8.1 can boot directly into the windows 7 type UI desktop bypassing
the modern UI.

desktop boots using a hybrid 750GB spinning drive in about 22sec i7 processor and multiple
peripheral devices connected which impacts startup.
laptop 916GB SSD i7 in about 7sec
Surface Pro 2 i5 about 5sec
all timings are from first boot screen to lock screen

all 3 machines have identical data for many of my programs through skydrive.
when I add a website to one it propagates to all the others (this can be controlled as wanted)

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:19 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · has any one gotten over window 8?

> buying a new computer, you get a "new" window.

I just bought a computer with windows 7 installed. No problem finding it.

Really, I don't know WHY anyone would buy windows 8 until successful versions of windows are no longer available. And by then we hope (as is usually the case) Microsoft will have gotten its act together and produced something less offensive.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · has any one gotten over window 8?

there are a few reasons.

offensive is an opinion. it is one that is not necessarily shared by all.

I know its tough for some people to handle change and cannot see the forest for the trees.

Nov 21, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Lots of FUD re Win8 (haven't tried 8.1). The new start screen is way more efficient than the old start menu once it's customized to your preferences. You couldn't pay me to go back to 7.

OK, I guess I might downgrade to Win7 for enough money, but who's going to send me the check?

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · has any one gotten over window 8?

MalbikEndar wrote:
> buying a new computer, you get a "new" window.

I just bought a computer with windows 7 installed. No problem finding it.

Same here. The local custom shop that built my desktop computer last year still sells new computers with Windows 7. Of course, they'll give you Win 8, if you want it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Ho1972 wrote:
Lots of FUD re Win8 (haven't tried 8.1). The new start screen is way more efficient than the old start menu once it's customized to your preferences. You couldn't pay me to go back to 7.

OK, I guess I might downgrade to Win7 for enough money, but who's going to send me the check?

remember you can have the best of both worlds for $5 in Start 8

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · has any one gotten over window 8?

^ I actually used Start is Back so I could learn the new UI at my leisure. Now that I'm up to speed, I do fine without it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · has any one gotten over window 8?

has any one gotten over window 8?

yep I did , I bought an imac27

seriously I have 8.1 on my wifes yoga laptop . its ok but it never fails to annoy me when i try and actually do something rather than just surf the web .

it does have some clever features though . like when your on the tiled 'metro' screen . just start to type the name of the app (or anything else) and its searching for you .

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · has any one gotten over window 8?

it's all about the ability to resolve and adapt to something you are not used to. some do it well some not so much.

just like in the image above you set it up they way you want and away you go.

in the end they all generally get you to the same destination.

I work with both and can send each down the tubes in a flash.

Nov 21, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · has any one gotten over window 8?

sjms wrote:
there are a few reasons.

offensive is an opinion. it is one that is not necessarily shared by all.

I know its tough for some people to handle change and cannot see the forest for the trees.

Yah, and people didn't buy the Yugo just because they didn't like change. This is not about change. It's about Microsoft giving the public a product that many if not most people just don't like. You can get away with that sort of thing when you have a monopoly.

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Mickey wrote:
Yah, and people didn't buy the Yugo just because they didn't like change. This is not about change. It's about Microsoft giving the public a product that many if not most people just don't like. You can get away with that sort of thing when you have a monopoly.

then you have your mac or Ubuntu or other flavor of the month. choices, my friend, abound.

your statement is an example of FUD, especially with your background.

you know as I have said on this thread you can simply have
your Win 7 desktop bypassing the Modern UI your way at anytime with a simple $5 program
(some are free but not quite as refined). set it up (yes there are options) and you can continue on your merry way almost like nothing happened.
it does work better overall. some nice things under the hood when you understand what's going on for real.

Windows 8 Pro w/Start 8 modified Desktop

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · has any one gotten over window 8?

If you want to bash MS, have it, but one thing they have done well over the years (better than Apple, better than Canon ) is to keep touch with the legacy base of software. So while they are obviously responding to the touch/tablet/portable world in Win8, they have preserved almost all of the Win7 world in this OS. If you want to grouse about having to step through that Metro desktop on occasion, have it. I'm sure you enjoy that old DOS/Win3.1/Win95/Win2000/WinXP/Vista world as well.

Having made my living as an IT Pro for 30 years I see the same reaction to 8 as I saw in all those old transitions listed above. That said, I agree that 8 is a pretty big jump. It is also a bit more of a reaction to the marketplace than MS is used to doing. And it is also more of a 'tweener than their previous stuff.

Why a 'tweener? Because they are preserving the past even as they move forward. I refer to it as the Sarah Palin OS. Why? Remember when her Sarahness said she had never been to Russia but she could see it from her house? Well, 8 is not quite the future, but you can see it from there. As for performance, it's solid, stable and fast. I love it.

Peace,

Todd

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · has any one gotten over window 8?

Sorry, I don't know what FUD means and why would you make this personal by referencing my background?

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · has any one gotten over window 8?

FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. term referenced to be coined by Gene Amdahl

background reference (FM profile public view): Chair of Academic Computing

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · has any one gotten over window 8?

I bought windows 8 since it was only $15...
Tried it and it sucked quite a bit. Start receiving blue screens a few days after. I figured my very new(bought a lot of top of the line stuff) hardware wasn't designed for the OS and had issues with drivers.
Seemed like a lot of people had different issues.
Went back to Win7. Don't see a single reason to upgrade. It is not faster or better. It's just different and not in a good way. It was designed for touch screen devices. They need to polish it out and make it better for PC users.
Had a client who works for a huge company in the IT. He said they aren't even thinking of upgrading as it is not user friendly in the office environment.

Nov 24, 2013 at 08:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password