FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Hi Folks
I've got an Ipad 1 (16Gb) with camera connection kit.

I'm in the market for a newer tablet with retina quality display.

One of my issues with Apple is that those of us shooting RAW+Jpeg the apple camera connection kit does not give the choice which file to import, it just imports the RAW+jpeg. I don't want the RAW inported, just the jpeg for viewing.

AFAIK this hasn't been fixed in newer hardware or IOS releases.

So my question is this: Can you do the above in any of the Android tabs?

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:06 PM
gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Doesn't the new windows tablets have USB ports? That would be great for displaying photos I'm guessing.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

johnahill wrote:
Hi Folks

One of my issues with Apple is that those of us shooting RAW+Jpeg the apple camera connection kit does not give the choice which file to import, it just imports the RAW+jpeg. I don't want the RAW inported, just the jpeg for viewing.

oh hell dont get me started on the RAW+Jpeg thing !!!!! ive searched for many work arounds . found some but none are that elegant . The best of which i found recently I BOUGHT A 5D3 so i can use 2 cards

im at the point where im finding the ipad is less and less the tool i want to use , but it still displays images so well .

as far as android is concerned one of the work arounds i was using involved my android phone . I cant remember the app name but it allowed cut and paste . I could cut the raw files on the sd card and paste them into a folder outside the DCIM folder (the ipad is only looking at the DCIM folder) then I could insert the sd card into the connection kit and it would import only the jpegs .
that really was the best option i found .

as far as android tablets go they have probably gotten much better now (my kids 10" xoom2 is a POS)
if i was going for one now it would most likely be the Galaxy tab . the Nexus is interesting but id want one with expandable memory (yeah i know thats the other gripe about the ipad, which is why mines a 64g) . it seems that most android tabs i see for sale are lower memory capacity . a quick scan around the online stores an all i can see are 16gig ones . I find even 64 isnt enough sometimes

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

good image less the useful tool.
that's why I have the Surface Pro 2 a better balance for productivity.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

johnahill wrote:
Hi Folks

With most Android devices you can plug them into a computer and access the onboard storage as if it's a hard drive, which makes it trivially easy to drag and drop files back and forth. Without the use of a computer you can also plug in hard drives, card readers, and most other storage devices and move files back and forth to your Android tablet. Android usually comes with a file manager allowing you to choose what you want to import, and there are many other full featured file managers in the Android store.

What I use with my Android devices, and what may also work on an Apple tablet, is Dropbox. On my desktop I just move the images I want to a Dropbox folder and they appear on a folder on my Android device. The advantage here is that you don't need to connect anything or do any manual file transfers as it's all automatic. In order to minimize cellular data use you can set Dropbox on Android to sync on wireless only. I use an app that does automatic syncing between Dropbox and Android; there are probably apps that do the same for IOS.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

I just throw them in a USB based memory device so that it can be moved around to whatever device I have at the time can be used or any other computer that supports USB.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:23 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

My issue about only wanting to import the JPEG from a raw+jpeg format is for on the run or out on a photo shoot when I DONT have access to a computer or laptop.

Of course if I'm at home or near a laptop seperating the files is easy.

But there's no easy way to do it on location using the Ipad currently ( not not without long workarounds)

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

and that why my daughter has the ipad I won and got frustrated and bored of in fairly short time. even she (college student) just uses for manga and a few games.

tis the wonder of apple products at times.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:43 PM
ryanp
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

My advice would be one of the windows tablets. I have the Surface, which has a USB and I can attach any thumb drive or hard drive to it. It runs Windows RT, which won't support Photoshop, but you can get other Windows tablets that run the full Windows 8.1 and you can have Photoshop or other editors on there. My wife has a Lenovo that we bought for $349 and we run Elements on there just because it has an lower performing Atom processor. If you want to go all out, look at the Surface Pro tablets where it has an i5 processor and can run full Photoshop, plus it comes with a pressure sensitive pen and digitizer by Wacom for the screen. Very nice and you can pick up the older version for about $699.

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

johnahill wrote:
My issue about only wanting to import the JPEG from a raw+jpeg format is for on the run or out on a photo shoot when I DONT have access to a computer or laptop.

Of course if I'm at home or near a laptop seperating the files is easy.

But there's no easy way to do it on location using the Ipad currently ( not not without long workarounds)

It would have helped had you initially mentioned the need to be autonomous. With an Android tablet (that supports OTG - most do) you'd just plug in the reader with a $5 OTG adapter, open the file manager, sort by file type, and copy your files across to any folder on the tablet.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

If only it were that simple.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Strobo wrote:
It would have helped had you initially mentioned the need to be autonomous. With an Android tablet (that supports OTG - most do) you'd just plug in the reader with a $5 OTG adapter, open the file manager, sort by file type, and copy your files across to any folder on the tablet.

I use a Samsung LTE tablet. Root Explorer file manager and the cheap adapter mentioned above. Lets me acces the CF card in the camera through the cameras USB slot. It also lets me remote control the camera through USB in live view mode.

The main catch is that I had to root the Android OS (install a superuser app that allows root access to all OS components) which took a whole 10 minutes.

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:41 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Don't as of yet, looking at the MS Surface Pro v2, for other activities as well...have a Nexus 7 but haven't got around to using it for photos yet, still looking for a decent app.

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Surface Pro 2

Software:
Camera control pro 2
Smart Shooter 2
Acdsee 17
Paint shop pro X6
View nx2

I will say due to the lack of or poor scaling ability on the part of these programs a keyboard cover, BT mouse or its
included wacom pen is a definite plus as a 10" screen is limited from the start.

Nov 23, 2013 at 08:01 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Go for one of the new quad-core Atom windows tablets. They have 8" models if you're interested in portability (and cheap, too!) and 10" models if you want more connectivity (and, in some models, more horsepower) options.

If you're concerned about file format compatibility you need to stay away from the windows RT tablets like the Surface or Sueface RT. I'm recommending the Atom tablets because they will give you good performance, great battery life, and high portability while retaining compatibility with traditional windows apps and also allowing access to windows store apps.

I remember I had found several little programs a long time ago for my windows XP and 7 netbooks that let me save a RAW file (or not save it) while viewing and storing a JPEG file after each shot. You could still use those programs (or any others) to do the same on an Atom windows tablet.

I really like my Asus Vivotab Smart, but If I were you I'd get a model that's newer and has the newer quad core atom processor.

Nov 25, 2013 at 03:56 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Walmart is offering the new dell Windows 8.1 Venue 8 Pro for 225 roughly plus taxes. They are sold out online, but you can have it reserved at a store and pick it up locally if avaiable.

This has a 32 gb SSD, Micro SD slot (usable with the x64gb cards), and a micro USB port that can be used as an I/O port full size with an adapter (5-10 usd on amazon). This allows you to import just like you would on a computer, use familiar software like Irfan View, NX2, PS Elements, all on the go and view your shots in the field.

I would believe this to be the cheapest option out there that is viable. It has the Bay Trail atom processor which is more than enough for what it has thrown it at - of course it is a windows device, so it will bog up / slow up over time. Fresh installs usually fix this though. Side perk - it also includes the full student / home edition of Microsoft office. Downside - no external keyboard case designed specifically for it yet, pen input is not a wacom based like the Surface Pro and Samsung Note. . .

If you have the cash - go with a Surface Pro 2 or 1 as others have suggested. But for that price, you may as well pick up an older model macbook air and have the same portability but higher userability - lack of touch screen though obviously.

Nov 26, 2013 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

32gb ssd is quite small and leaves you very little additional space on it for much else.
and thats just to start. not worth the effort.
remember the OS sits in that 32GB of ssd

Nov 26, 2013 at 01:21 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

Yes, as does the recovery partition that you can remove at your own choice. With loading needed applications onto the SSD, and keeping files for storage on the HD for small events, or micro SD for longer shoots, I still find this works for a mobile station. At the cost point - its a viable option. The offer a 64GB version, however, this shoots retail up to 350, and is the going rate at most distributers.

Nov 26, 2013 at 01:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

well it seems we see usability from a slightly different perspective.

Nov 26, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Tablet for Viewing Photo's

I was out looking at small windows 8 tablets / 2 in 1's today . (Not RT OR android)
I didn't see the venue pro 8" but dit see a 8" from asus (or was it acer ?) I think . Too small
But the 11 inch ones look quite viable .
I was looking to see if the transformer T100 was in stock ( couldn't find it) . From what I can see its a really good price (even for the 64 g) . But it does look to have some drawbacks .

I think the USB port on the tablet part is (as far as I can make out ) for charging only - and by all accounts takes an age to charge - . It has a usb3 port but that's on the keyboard dock . Which means to use as I want i may as well have a small laptop .

Looked at the surface pro 2 . Very nice , but too expensive . And if its anything like the surface (RT) version1 that my farther in law has I know id throw it against the wall !

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.