New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Macbook Screens question

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Screens question

OK , im pretty much talking myself into a portable laptop . its not going to do serious workhorse stuff (but needs to be sufficiant) .
so I was out looking at the MBA and MBPr 13" models yesterday - Im not totally set on the macs as yet but im more drawn to then now i have the imac -
anyway looking at the 2 macs I noticed that the retina has a lower visual resolution (not talking about pixels) area than the MBA
when the 2 machines had iphoto open the retina displayed 3 tiles (vertical) while the MBA displayed 3.5 tiles

so what i want to know is when using LR5 would the MBA give me a more usable screen ? LR5 doesnt have a full screen mode on a mac (other than its own full screen) which means that when you in normal view you always have the bar along the bottom which robs you of some of the screen estate .

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Screens question

The MBP has a resolution of 2560-by-1600, whereas the MBA has a res of 1366 by 768.

Measuring the number of tiles, while a valid scientific approach, disregards the zoom level of iPhoto, and the resolution at which the MBP is set at.

So just get a MBP.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:03 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Screens question

Lightroom has two full screen modes, one of which eliminates both the dock and the menu bar.

And assuming the bar along the bottom is the dock, that has a hide option of its own if you don't want to use Lightroom's full screen mode.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Screens question

Lovesong wrote:
The MBP has a resolution of 2560-by-1600, whereas the MBA has a res of 1366 by 768.

Measuring the number of tiles, while a valid scientific approach, disregards the zoom level of iPhoto, and the resolution at which the MBP is set at.

So just get a MBP.

OK good point didnt think about the zoom level .

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Screens question

colinm wrote:
Lightroom has two full screen modes, one of which eliminates both the dock and the menu bar.

And assuming the bar along the bottom is the dock, that has a hide option of its own if you don't want to use Lightroom's full screen mode.

yes LR has 2 full screen modes , I use them extensivly on my Imac 27
but proper full scree (pressing 'F' ) gives you just the image . I use this alot when culling and rating (using the keyboard to pick and star) but you can edit in this mode .
the other full screen where all the menu bars ar minimised still leaves you the Dock at the bottom of the screen .

Infact if you hide the dock it doesnt give you any extra screen for LR as LR doesnt use that part of the screen .

Maybe at some point Adobe will give LR an update to make it full screen compatable

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macbook Screens question

OK so I did a bit of googling and it seems that the MBPr 13" screen is much a like a very good crisp 1280x800 screen . while the air is a 'normal' 1440x900

i read you can up the res on the retina to 1680 x 1050 (but some apps dont look very good at this ) .
does anyone use LR on one of these new MBP's ? if so How do you find it ?

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:32 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macbook Screens question

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Infact if you hide the dock it doesnt give you any extra screen for LR as LR doesnt use that part of the screen .

Then it sounds like you're not in a full screen mode (Shift+F). It's confusing, I know.

Both full screen modes will use the dock space; "Full Screen with Menubar" will expand into the dock area if the dock is hidden; "Full Screen" will hide the dock and the menu bar and always entirely fill the screen. If Lightroom isn't using the dock area, you're in regular windowed mode, where Lightroom is just a plain old window—if you want it to move into the dock area then, you resize it manually or hit the zoom (green) button.

Full Screen Preview (F) is another beast altogether.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macbook Screens question

colinm wrote:
Then it sounds like you're not in a full screen mode (Shift+F). It's confusing, I know.

Both full screen modes will use the dock space; "Full Screen with Menubar" will expand into the dock area if the dock is hidden; "Full Screen" will hide the dock and the menu bar and always entirely fill the screen. If Lightroom isn't using the dock area, you're in regular windowed mode, where Lightroom is just a plain old window—if you want it to move into the dock area then, you resize it manually or hit the zoom (green) button.

Full Screen Preview (F) is another
...Show more

well blow me with a feather I swear that never worked before

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macbook Screens question

If you want an anti-glare screen then Apple have nothing to offer you at present.

I just started using a Windows-based ASUS with a 15.6" IPS screen that has about 140ppi. Very nice but would be even better if it had 16:10 ratio instead of 16:9. It has a bigger border area around the screen and is basically as big as my 17" MBP but lighter. It's also a lot cheaper than an equivalent rMBP.

I could not cope with a glossy or semi-glossy screen on a laptop.

IPS (as in the retina screens) is very desirable for consistent colours and tones (especially the darker tones) from top to bottom of the screen - a problem that occurs on non-IPS screens even without moving your head or getting the screen tilt wrong. It's that colour variation that has finally put me off my 17" MBP.

- Alan

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.