Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

This is one feature I wanted with digital. Well, actually I wanted a Digital EOS3 - and still Canon has not come out with one.

For those of us the eye control worked for it certainly was a nice feature.

How about it Canon, put it on a digital EOS3 full frame body with greater dynamica range and higher pixel count than Nikon or Sony has.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Biggest problem with ECF was that it did not work reliably for many people. It seems like it was hit or miss whether it would work for you or not. I had an EOS-3 and struggled with mine until I finally gave up on it and turned it off.

If Canon comes out with a reincarnation of ECF, it needs to be functional for all the people. Could you imagine if they came out with a camera where AF only worked for some and not for others.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

chez wrote:
...Could you imagine if they came out with a camera where AF only worked for some and not for others.

Wasn't that the 1DIII?

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

jcolwell wrote:
Wasn't that the 1DIII?

Well played....

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:29 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Daniel Smith wrote:
This is one feature I wanted with digital. Well, actually I wanted a Digital EOS3 - and still Canon has not come out with one.

For those of us the eye control worked for it certainly was a nice feature.

How about it Canon, put it on a digital EOS3 full frame body with greater dynamica range and higher pixel count than Nikon or Sony has.

Aren't you switching to Nikon anyways? It seems that you are fed up with Canon based on all of your threads and posts...

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

The EOS 3 and Elan 7E let you select AF points automatically, by wheel, by joystick or by eye. So if one method didn't work for you, you have three other choices. Now we have one less choice. I want ECF back too. I owned an Elan 7NE and it's ECF was a 100% hit rate for me. The EOS 3 was so-soc with 45 points enabled but very reliable when I reduced the array to 11 points.

I don't think it is possible to design ECF to work with every strange eye shape, deep set eyes or thick eye glasses. But then these people can use the other 3 selection methods. The reappearance of ECF is one of the few features that would prompt me to upgrade my 7D or 5D2.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

A modern (and presumably superior) version of ECF would be an amazing option to have - especially with f1.2 - 2 lenses.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Gochugogi wrote:
The EOS 3 and Elan 7E let you select AF points automatically, by wheel, by joystick or by eye. So if one method didn't work for you, you have three other choices. Now we have one less choice. I want ECF back too. I owned an Elan 7NE and it's ECF was a 100% hit rate for me. The EOS 3 was so-soc with 45 points enabled but very reliable when I reduced the array to 11 points.

I don't think it is possible to design ECF to work with every strange eye shape, deep set eyes or thick eye
...Show more

Is that sort of saying one type of AF or metering might not work for you...just go ahead and use another type?

I think Canon got a lot of flack from people where ECF did not work as it was really hyped up back in the 90's. Personally, I was not too pissed off that it did not work for me, but surely if you bought the camera on the hype, and that hype did not work...wouldn't you be pissed off and being told just to use another form of AF selection would just piss you off more.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Yes, I was irritated with wheel/button based AF point selection--too slow compared with ECF or joystick--but I wouldn't be pissed just because it didn't work well for me. Just use one of the other methods. Canon makes a reasonable effort to be all things to all people, hence multiple ways to change aperture, shutter speed, focus, etc. I can't see the appeal of using the Quick Control screen when you can use a button or dial but then my wife only uses the QCS. It's nice to have a choice and I'd like ECF to be one of them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

dfresh wrote:
Aren't you switching to Nikon anyways? It seems that you are fed up with Canon based on all of your threads and posts...

It is a good possibility. I went from Canon to Nikon when Canon folk said they would not produce a 'good glass' 600 mm lens and Nikon had the 600 f/4.

Later ended up with Canon as Nikon did not have big, fast glass with AutoFocus - again the 600/400 tele range.

Now that most bodies are doing well I can go either direction. Am pissed at Canon for sitting on their hands while Nikon currently has apparently higher quality files with a greater tonal range - tho the 6D is supposed to be the cleanest low light/moonlight camera out there.

If it focuses using Canon glass just fine I might even end up with a Sony body.

None quite match the 8x10 Deardorff images but they are nice to have for many types of work I do, some of which is benefitting from using a Fuji X-E1 for now. Easier to get into some places without the full sized DSLR.

Your attitude towards those looking for quality images is puzzling. You seem to be the type to accept lower performance if the nameplate is 'right'.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

It's in the rubbish bin of history. The ECF never worked well on either of my EOS 3 bodies.

EBH

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

I wanted the ECF of the EOS3 to work, but for me it never did. Sure, I'd like a new system that worked for my eyes and glasses. I know there are features on various bodies that we don't all use, but probably most of them are useful to a sizable proportion of buyers. At the least, features are a sales attractant, and if a particular feature then disappoints a large number of the people whose purchase was significantly influenced by the ads for that feature, the impact could be negative (for Canon sales). I would also speculate that it could cost more in engineering time to make a really effective ECF (for, let's say 95% of shooters) than it does for stuff like video improvements (what if I don't shoot video!), etc. I *could* complain that emphasis on video (or something else) weakens the ergonomic design or responsiveness for some type of shooting that *I* do, but it doesn't seem like a big deal when the 5D3 and 1DX work so well in so many ways. Of course there are always counter arguments. And maybe Canon *is* working on ECF and will blow us away with a great system next year. Or not.

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

chez wrote:
If Canon comes out with a reincarnation of ECF, it needs to be functional for all the people.

Well, the Air Force seems to have it down to a science.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Joe Garner wrote:
Well, the Air Force seems to have it down to a science.

Eye tracking is a well-established technology. Whether it fits into a DSLR is a different matter. Also, the typical Air Force pilot is a much more disciplined "user" of optical devices than the typical photog. If you're going to fly a plane that needs eye tracking, you'll get used to working with the eye tracking, or you'll get a different job. In the military, people who don't "fit" the equipment, usually get "traded out".

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

ECF on EOS3 and A2E bodies worked well for me. I would love to have it on a digital body.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

It was fantastic for me and I wear glasses! I don't see any harm in bringing this back as an option (except for cost of course).

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

These days ECF stands for Epic Canon Failure.

Seriously, I can't but wonder 15 years later, with the massive advances in cpu power, tracking software etc ECF could not not be made to work a lot more reliably. One thing that worried me was how sensitive it was to eye movements. You might look at the subject for the focus point, but then quickly scan the scene. How do you tune the AF not to keep shifting AF point and discriminate between the two?

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
These days ECF stands for Epic Canon Failure.

Seriously, I can't but wonder 15 years later, with the massive advances in cpu power, tracking software etc ECF could not not be made to work a lot more reliably. One thing that worried me was how sensitive it was to eye movements. You might look at the subject for the focus point, but then quickly scan the scene. How do you tune the AF not to keep shifting AF point and discriminate between the two?

I think this is where back button focus would work, you focus with your eye and then let go of the button. It would take a while to get used to figure out not to scan the viewfinder before letting go, but is no different than getting used to other functions.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

Eye tracking is starting to make an appearance on cell phones and tablets- I don't see why it wouldn't be useful. Might want to bind it to a toggle, though, as letting it run just willy-nilly might be difficult to control when it does work .

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where is the Eye Control focus from the EOS 3?

vivisha wrote:
I think this is where back button focus would work, you focus with your eye and then let go of the button. It would take a while to get used to figure out not to scan the viewfinder before letting go, but is no different than getting used to other functions.

http://p11997.ipscdn.com/public/style_emoticons/default/clever-2.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.