New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

robkon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

question regarding the locking wheel (the one that tightens the grip to the body): is it supposed to have some play (left to right) after tightening? or did I get a dud?

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:47 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

mine has some play when the grip is secured to the camera.
So does the locking wheel on my MB-12 on my Nikon FM2.

Just make sure the grip is tight. The MB-D10 is quite a solid grip. When attaching a 70-200 f2,8 or heavier lens it will give nonetheless.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:58 PM
robkon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

thanks.

yes, grip is on tight and everything works (knock on wood)

just annoying I guess

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

I quite effectively learned to forget about that locking wheel

The grip itself is really comfortable and quite sturdy. After I attached it and used it for a while I can no longer imagine using the camera without it or using any dSLR without a grip, regardless of whether I´m using big lenses or just a manual focus 50mm.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

To remedy that "little play" a 3/4" X 2" length of gaffers kills any rattle.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:27 PM
robkon

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

thanks Will.

I'll try that in the future. for now (knock on wood again) I don't hear rattling. It's just the lock left to right has some play....

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

yes

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

the solitaire wrote:
I quite effectively learned to forget about that locking wheel

The grip itself is really comfortable and quite sturdy. After I attached it and used it for a while I can no longer imagine using the camera without it or using any dSLR without a grip, regardless of whether I´m using big lenses or just a manual focus 50mm.

I'm with you there. Mine only comes off when I want to swap out the internal battery. Which happens every 3rd battery change in the grip.

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:48 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

I actually leave the battery in the camera until it´s down to less then 40%, charge both, swap it with the battery in the grip and go from step 1.

Yes, I use the "slow frame rate" battery option. It offers the convenience of only needing to bring 1 charger and the main purpose for the grip is ergonomics. I guess I´m doomed as soon as I buy my first pro body camera with integrated grip.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
MX727
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MB-D10 Locking Wheel

robkon wrote:
question regarding the locking wheel (the one that tightens the grip to the body): is it supposed to have some play (left to right) after tightening? or did I get a dud?

If you look at the bolts position in relationship to the wheel, you will clearly see that the bolt is not directly attached to the wheel, but is instead geared. The play you feel is the slop in the gears. Nothing wrong and no need to crank the wheel down thinking that you can tighten that slop away. That is probably how some people manage to over tighten the grip and then have a tough time removing it.

Nov 22, 2013 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.