New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sharp image against a bright window

kaziishtiak

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharp image against a bright window

Hi,
I have always tried to achieve an image like the following:

Can any of you give me some tips (I have spot metering and using a reflector in mind)

Window Background

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:57 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharp image against a bright window

1st tip...

post the picture.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:59 PM
kaziishtiak

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharp image against a bright window

Thanks Ryan,
The link provided should take you to the picture and would have taken less time than it took for you to write that valuable tip. The reason I didn't post the picture is because it is not mine to post. So thought I would rather direct you to the source.
cheers
Kazi

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:04 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharp image against a bright window

Actually, the link is not hyper-linked, so we'd have to copy it, and paste it to follow it.

As long as you don't take credit for it, you can imbed the picture. Very few people are going to follow it, as it is. You were a bit snarky to Ryan, who was trying to be helpful, and that will probably put off a few people as well.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:13 PM
kaziishtiak

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharp image against a bright window

Didn't mean to offend anyone. My apologies. Hopefully now the link below will be hyperlinked. I cannot upload a picture as it is only available to Upload&Sell members only.

hubbycheeck Photography

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:26 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharp image against a bright window

It almost looks like that there is as much light coming from the right of her as is outside the window. I don't see any shadows created by a flash. I'm not sure how it was done. Maybe a very large reflector?

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:01 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharp image against a bright window

Double post

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:02 PM
kaziishtiak

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharp image against a bright window

Thanks Dave. Very likely plus some post enhancement in Lightroom (exposure, WB etc..INHO)

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:15 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharp image against a bright window

Just to try to be helpful with your future posts, you are not required to be an Upload member to imbed pictures in your post.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharp image against a bright window

This isn't direct sunlight blasting through a window. It's indirect light being diffused by the window. Should be relatively easy to get a sharp shot in that type of a scenario.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:51 PM
kaziishtiak

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sharp image against a bright window

Thanks Prettym1k3,
I guess. My main objective would be how to get the subject without any shadows. Most of my tries end up like your profile image (not so strong contrast but somewhat like that)

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:59 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sharp image against a bright window

The shot is done with diffuse window light. The window is probably in the shady side of the house - judging by the trees in the background out of the window.

Looking at the lady's right arm, there is a "strong" shadow and and obvious indication of lighting on her right elbow. This means that an additional light source was used for fill. This could be a softbox / stripibox or a silver reflector. It seems to be positioned at approximately the level of the window ledge. You can get an idea of the level by the nature of the shadow on her right arm and the highlight reflection on her right leg. The shadows seem to indicate that the light is just under the camera and "quite Long" - possibly a 3 or 4 foot box.

If you look at the intensity of the shadow and the reflection, you can guess that the fill-ratio is roughly one-to-one ... maybe less, maybe more depending upon the "real" lighting in the room. The exact fill ratio and positioning of the light source determines how "good" the image results are.

Nov 21, 2013 at 02:21 PM
kaziishtiak

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sharp image against a bright window

Thanks Tony,
This is brilliant! This is exactly I was hoping to get. I guideline of thinking

Nov 21, 2013 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.