New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

http://www.lenstip.com/389.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM.html

Seems as though they think it's a bit ahead of the canon and nikon offerings. (although disappointed to see it vignettes so strongly on FF)

I have the 24-120 f/4 from Nikon. I was hoping perhaps the Sigma would eclipse it by a good margin, but not sure that has happened. I think the bottom line is that this sort of lens just isn't up to challenge in satisfying the demands of landscape images on a 36mp sensor from edge to edge.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:38 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

I kinda want to love this lens, but I'm just not able to justify it over the 24-120.

For starters, the 24-120 is really impressive (to me) after using the 24-105L for so many years, so I'm not necessarily dying to replace it. Also, the 24-120 is smaller and weighs less. Lastly, from the sample shots lenstip offered, I'm not impressed at all. It actually looks worse than the 24-105L or 24-120.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

JustinPoe wrote:
I kinda want to love this lens, but I'm just not able to justify it over the 24-120.

For starters, the 24-120 is really impressive (to me) after using the 24-105L for so many years, so I'm not necessarily dying to replace it. Also, the 24-120 is smaller and weighs less. Lastly, from the sample shots lenstip offered, I'm not impressed at all. It actually looks worse than the 24-105L or 24-120.

I wouldn't trust the sample shots. . . I'll wait to see what other shots/reviews show. Expecting the lens to be a bit better than the other offerings.

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

delete

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

I'm waiting for more reviews and actual customer feedback on it. I'd like to have one, but not if it doesn't do a better job than the 24-120(I had one). If it's not, then a used 24-120 makes a lot more sense to me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

Interesting, but I agree with the LensTip reviewer. Why did Sigma make this lens ?

From the LensTip Review :

Once again the Sigma company proved they can produce a high quality lens. Although it is not always able to compete successfully against its brand-name rivals (failing to do so when it comes to the chromatic aberration, vignetting or autofocus), in most categories it still gets higher notes. It gives you sharper images in the frame centre, it is more even and provides useful images also on a very demanding edge of full frame without the necessity of stopping down the aperture. For a lens with such parameters it is a huge achievement; neither the Canon nor the Nikkor managed to perform so well and here the Sigma truly deserves a standing ovation for its performance.

Let’s face it – the rival lenses, produced by Canon and Nikon, are very solid; it’s true that they are hardly flawless but still they can be called a very well done constructions. The situation of the Sigma is especially difficult when it comes to the Canon line-up; not only the EF 24-105L is cheaper than the Sigma on its own, you can also buy it in a kit with a camera for a very affordable price. The Nikkor is a bit more expensive than the Sigma but it comes with a wider focal range and smaller filters, 77 mm in diameter, which are cheaper and more common than the 82 mm ones you need for the Sigma.
To sum up: if you buy the Sigma 24-105 mm OS you will enjoy that lens for sure. The question is how many people decide to do so when the brand-name competition is so strong and the prices in that segment -very similar.

Pros:
solid and stylish casing,
very high image quality in the frame centre at all focal lengths,
good image quality on the edge of the APS-C/DX sensor,
decent image quality on the very demanding edge of full frame,
very good correction of the longitudinal chromatic aberration,
slight distortion at longer focal lengths,
low astigmatism,
negligible vignetting on the APS-C/DX sensor,
efficient image stabilization,
good, sensible autofocus.

Cons:
significant vignetting on full frame,
high chromatic aberration near the maximum relative aperture at the shortest focal length,
pronounced wide angle distortion on full frame.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

Derek Weston wrote:
I wouldn't trust the sample shots. . . I'll wait to see what other shots/reviews show. Expecting the lens to be a bit better than the other offerings.

Yeah, I forgot to add that I wanted to see more reviews before I made a final decision. Lenstip offers really thorough reviews but I've always found their sample shots somehow always manage to look worse than the lens actually performs.

Nov 21, 2013 at 09:39 AM
bocajrs
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

Not for me - No weather sealing, zooms opposite of Nikkors - Using my 24-85MM VR until if and when Nikon updates the Nikon 24-70 2.8 with VR

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM
s14brent
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

anyone know where this lens is available? amazon sold their first run already, and everywhere else is saying mid december.

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:08 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

All the Art lenses can't be that good all the time.

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:23 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

bocajrs wrote:
Not for me - No weather sealing, zooms opposite of Nikkors - Using my 24-85MM VR until if and when Nikon updates the Nikon 24-70 2.8 with VR

Yeah, that kills it for me, too. The extra weight and bulk are not good either.

EBH

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:29 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

Well, from the published MTF curves it didn't look all that promising.
Is there a technical reason that a 24-105/4 zoom can't be made to be really really good?

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:49 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

jhinkey wrote:
Is there a technical reason that a 24-105/4 zoom can't be made to be really really good?

Mostly it is a matter of cost.

EBH

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · lenstip Sigma 24-105 f/4 review

jhinkey wrote:

My guess is that wide angle lenses (like 24mm) and telephoto lenses (like 105mm) require a different design. Having to cover both in the same lens may be more of a challenge than, say, a 70-200 which is telephoto on both ends.

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.