Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

Butch Braniger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

Hello,

I do all post production on a new Toshiba laptop. My problem is that with a screen that moves I, (after a year) can still not get exposure right from my laptop do a desktop monitor. I am planning on getting a external monitor but dont know where to start. I will be calibrating any monitor I get. I do not want to spend thousands but would like a decent monitor. Also, is it as easy as just plugging it in and using hot keys to make it work? Any info would sure be appreciated.

Thank you,
Butch

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

I used a laptop for all digital photo PP from 2006 to 2011.
Finally I wanted a more "color correct" display, so I squeezed out the money for a ~$1500 NEC 27" monitor(PA 271W-BK-SV) that comes with a calibration solution(you pay extra for the calibrator thing).
I'm really, really glad that I have the NEC.
True luxury, and the monitor matches the prints way better now.
Their current model is called the PA272, now featuring LED illumination instead of CFL.
You can get a less expensive monitor containing the same IPS 27"panel from Dell and other lower-end brands, but the cheapies will lack the NEC controlling electronics.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

Yeah, that's the deal; just plug it in and set the preferences. Right now I'm using an old but fast laptop I tore the screen off of (so it's just the KB and computer part of it) to connect to a pretty nice Mitsubishi LCD. It essentially works the same as a desktop rig would - including for calibration and stuff. The video "card" in your laptop may have something to say about it tho - I'm not familiar with all cases.

Nov 21, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

As Keith mentioned, NEC is now phasing out PA 271 and you can find very good deals on those (like $790 instead of $1100) that probably won't last long.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Butch Braniger
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Extternal monitor question. Please help.

Thank you all very much.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.