Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

High Desert Sunset

MajeedB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · High Desert Sunset

I arrived at this location, Smith Rock in Eastern Oregon, for the first time. I hiked down to the river and asked a few locals where sunset would best be viewed. I literally ran back up from the canyon, because the sun was setting fast. I found what looked like a good spot and plopped the tripod legs down. It was a beautiful afternoon with cooperative clouds.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · High Desert Sunset

Nice I love the rock with a halo of clouds and the tufts of highlighted grass.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · High Desert Sunset

Seriously awesome. I've never seen Smith Rock shot from this angle before, and I'm not sure why. Very cool how you can even see some of the mountains in the distance between the peaks. I think if you reduced the dark edges on the top of the peaks this would be perfect. Did you stay well past sunset? These clouds look like they would light up like crazy once the sun set, plus they are so strong compositionally.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:09 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · High Desert Sunset

That is a special scene and composition. I was there in July and saw great sunsets, but this shot is wonderful.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:17 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · High Desert Sunset

A very nicely done image. Very sweet light!

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:18 PM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #6 · High Desert Sunset

Wonderful shot, next time I'll try to find this spot.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · High Desert Sunset

Very nice light!

Nov 21, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #8 · High Desert Sunset

Hi Majeed,

Nice light and interesting subject, but I think the Smith Rock is lost with the sunburst. My eyes seem to shoot between both the sunburst and the bright foreground grasses without wanting to go anywhere else. If your subject is the fabulous sunburst then you really got me, but if the rock is the subject, I think the sunburst is taking too much attention.

Tim

Nov 21, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #9 · High Desert Sunset

Love this! Great image! Very well seen and executed.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
cherubino
• •
p.1 #10 · High Desert Sunset

Very nice use of backlit grass and sun to bring attention to the rock! I bet you had to do some work with this kind of dynamic range.
Thanks for sharing.

Nov 21, 2013 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · High Desert Sunset

Nicely seen. The rock/clouds positioning really establish the shot.
The sun-burst is just the right addition

Dan

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:21 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · High Desert Sunset

Great light, color and composition.

Bob

Nov 21, 2013 at 08:42 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · High Desert Sunset

DIG...nice light and clouds!

aF

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · High Desert Sunset

Wow! I can visualize your running up the canyon, panting and dragging the heavy gear. I would not have been successful in reaching the location to shoot this wonderful sunset image from the Smith Rock! Oh, dear, how nice the sunburst and the clouds burst as well are. I have been looking at Smith Rock photos for the last few months envisioning myself photographing it someday next year! Any advise?

Kee

Nov 22, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #15 · High Desert Sunset

Just awesome! Love the clouds and starburst.

Nov 22, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · High Desert Sunset

Hey man, that my parts! My dad jogs here mid day for his workout!

Great job on this! Way to go getting a powerful image from here.

Actually I am really feeling inspired to get a lot more from here this year. It is close to my place. And it is a cool place still under-exploited.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · High Desert Sunset

Great shot. Your hurried composition turned out awesome. The sun star on the left side of the frame balances the bushes in the foreground at the bottom rt side of the frame.
Harsha

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:16 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #18 · High Desert Sunset

Nice!

I agree with Mark...so much potential in such a small area. I have been there many times and have a lot of ground that still needs to be explored.

Roman

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:36 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #19 · High Desert Sunset

Thanks very much everyone.

roman.johnston wrote:
Nice!

I agree with Mark...so much potential in such a small area. I have been there many times and have a lot of ground that still needs to be explored.

Roman

I've now spent the better part of 24 hours here and agree.

Mark Metternich wrote:
Hey man, that my parts! My dad jogs here mid day for his workout!

Great job on this! Way to go getting a powerful image from here.

Actually I am really feeling inspired to get a lot more from here this year. It is close to my place. And it is a cool place still under-exploited.

wish you could've joined me! Let's go with "documented" instead of "exploited"

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Wow! I can visualize your running up the canyon, panting and dragging the heavy gear. I would not have been successful in reaching the location to shoot this wonderful sunset image from the Smith Rock! Oh, dear, how nice the sunburst and the clouds burst as well are. I have been looking at Smith Rock photos for the last few months envisioning myself photographing it someday next year! Any advise?

Kee

You're asking the wrong guy! I'm sure many of the regulars know this place inside and out. This was just my first trip to this location.

aFeinberg wrote:
DIG...nice light and clouds!

aF

Thanks aaron! Would still love to meet up next time I'm in Kauai. I know there will be a next time because that's the only place I want to be all the time

Timmeh wrote:
Hi Majeed,

Nice light and interesting subject, but I think the Smith Rock is lost with the sunburst. My eyes seem to shoot between both the sunburst and the bright foreground grasses without wanting to go anywhere else. If your subject is the fabulous sunburst then you really got me, but if the rock is the subject, I think the sunburst is taking too much attention.

Tim

If you're eye is going between the foreground and sun, my mission is accomplished. I'm hoping that's where the eye goes first, and the smaller details are picked up after closer observation.

Justin Grimm wrote:
Seriously awesome. I've never seen Smith Rock shot from this angle before, and I'm not sure why. Very cool how you can even see some of the mountains in the distance between the peaks. I think if you reduced the dark edges on the top of the peaks this would be perfect. Did you stay well past sunset? These clouds look like they would light up like crazy once the sun set, plus they are so strong compositionally.

The blend was tricky. The light got good about 20-30 minutes after. Maybe I'll post a thread with some of the shots I got here over 2 days.

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #20 · High Desert Sunset

A lot of really great elements come together in your image. Great.

Chuck

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password