Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Banff mountain wedding

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff mountain wedding

After I posted a few shots from my recent Jasper Mountain wedding I realized, as did others that a few shots had similar looks from two weddings that were within days of each other. The framing and the pose from two shots were very close just the mountain and river background was different. It reminded me that shooting so much in a similar place (no matter how beautiful) makes it a real challenge for all of us to create something new each time when we're given the same location. I know we all have that struggle, when we get to shoot at a really nice hotel, one that we have shot at 2,3,4 or 10 times yet we need to make something unique. It's not easy but it does improve our craft if we try.

This wedding this past week-end in Banff I kept that in the back of my mind and scouted out a few locations that were a bit different than I had in the past and did my best to get a few new looks.

oh, for the record. The top picture is was -25c or -13F when we shot that. They were troopers!

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff mountain wedding

Holy crap, man. This is GOOD.

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff mountain wedding

I really want to know how you get your backgrounds to look so awesome. I don't just mean how scenic they are, I mean you capture detail and dynamic range that I can't imagine doing day in and day out. In my head the easiest way to do it would be exposure bracketing on a tripod with with zeiss glass. But my guess is it's a simpler form of dark magic.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:04 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Banff mountain wedding

Depth of Feel wrote:
I really want to know how you get your backgrounds to look so awesome. I don't just mean how scenic they are, I mean you capture detail and dynamic range that I can't imagine doing day in and day out. In my head the easiest way to do it would be exposure bracketing on a tripod with with zeiss glass. But my guess is it's a simpler form of dark magic.

No real secrets except on occasion I'll do multiple layers and bracket that way however I use LR for about 80 percent of the edit. A gradient tool to adjust the sky colour and detail and then Viveza to control light/dark spots and then sharpen what I need sharpened. Essentially I play with images until I feel they are as I think I want them and with the huge leap in "film" look I have jumped off board for the most part as I feel that it's very muted looking (mostly shadows) and I think I'd prefer so see detail rather than a flatter look.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Banff mountain wedding

CareyNash wrote:
No real secrets except on occasion I'll do multiple layers and bracket that way however I use LR for about 80 percent of the edit. A gradient tool to adjust the sky colour and detail and then Viveza to control light/dark spots and then sharpen what I need sharpened. Essentially I play with images until I feel they are as I think I want them and with the huge leap in "film" look I have jumped off board for the most part as I feel that it's very muted looking (mostly shadows) and I think I'd prefer so see detail
...Show more

Thanks Carey. People are very generous with their process on this board. I've bookmarked this thread and If I don't forget I'll investigate this Viveza you speak of. It does look like you fade blacks just a touch. Infact I feel your look is one of few that have the film look that appeals to me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Banff mountain wedding

My general pattern seeing your work.

1) See you posted something
2) Click the link
3) Pick my jaw off the floor
4) Get depressed
5) Wish I could go back to Canada more often.

incredible, as always!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:25 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Banff mountain wedding

Clearly you know what you're doing. Beautiful work!

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:22 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Banff mountain wedding

Very nice Carey!

Keith

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:23 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Banff mountain wedding

Just food for thought in response to the detail on the mountain range image. It was shot at f/13. I do my best to make sure that I'm getting everything in focus and concern myself with framing the couple plus I have more room to play with the detail in post.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:59 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Banff mountain wedding

Nice set, if I had to nit I'd say a pop of OCF in the first on the couple and a different expression or direction of gaze on him in the last one would really raise them up to another level.

Nov 21, 2013 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password