p.438 #1 · p.438 #1 · Sony FE Images Thread

leave the 35-70 home

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:28 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.438 #2 · p.438 #2 · Sony FE Images Thread

reprazent1 wrote:
Totally agree, I was never impressed with the high iso performance of my A7. ISO 3200 is the highest I'd go, 6400 doesn't cut it for me. If all 3 models were released at the same time last year, I would probably have bought the A7S. I hate the loud shutter too, have been yelled at several times on the street. To be honest I find the sensor reflection issue unacceptable, AFAIK both the A7 and A7S have a low pass filter - so they did manage to fix it? The only reason why I'm not trading my A7 for
...Show more

Thank you guys!

Jochen, the A7s is a really nice package! Having the A7r's, the A7s is the perfect compliment. My wife has a A7r one with the FE 35. She did try the M240, but having AF was a must! The question of 12 MP did concern me, and I had made a decision when the A7s was released there was no need to even think about the A7s. Like yourself, I had the 5D, and it was fine, but still to this day love the files from D700 as they had the film like quality to them. I feel is not just the 12MP, but how they are implemented in the overall design scheme. So far, I have been amazed as to the film like "look" and "feel" to the files, even at 12 MP. I usually print about A2 size, and this will be fine with A7s files. To be honest, sometimes the A7r files, under harsh lighting can be edgy for want of a better description, but this is usually the default sharpening of 25 in LR, that needs to be reset to 0.

reprazent, the completely silent shutter on the A7s does take some getting used to. At first I had taken about 6 shots without realizing it! Truly a stealth street camera I did not think the AF speed was much of an issue with the A7r, as it is always accurate, but can miss in low light. Now the AF is brilliant with the A7s, as it fast and also very accurate. You can go outside on moonlit evening and AF on the landscape accurately. The write times to the card are very fast, and better still the wake up has been improved. Kudos to Sony for releasing the A7s, as I honestly had no intentions of buying one!!

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:07 PM
alaskandood
• •
p.438 #3 · p.438 #3 · Sony FE Images Thread

Mescalamba wrote:
And that guy which asked about look of that bench pic, it looks bit HDR-ish so I would say its most likely carefully increased tonal contrast. Thats that thing responsible for 3D effect also, if you know how.. To be precise, its part of it, not all.

Thank you! I've seen it in other pictures and couldn't tell if it was the lens or PP.

4th of July parade. I didn't know these kids, but they were at the parade with their father. I really liked this picture for some reason. It has that old timey feel about it and although it was in Alaska, I think this picture could have been taken anywhere in the U.S.A.
Minolta 35-105/3.5 @ 35ish/3.5 manually focused via dumb adapter (Vignetting not added)

One of the first pictures I took with the FEZA 35/2.8. I liked the picture, until I overedited it. Still trying to correct some issues. Taken handheld (I didn't even get out of the truck, I just angled it in the road) during Sunrise in Prudhoe Bay, AK in a windstorm. Can't seem to get rid of the issue on the power lines extending to the left of the frame and the posterization is driving me crazy.

and yes, my purpose here is to let you know how good you really are and how far you've come!

Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to recognize the work of an amateur or pro and be able to think to myself, "I remember when I used to struggle with the basics!"

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.438 #4 · p.438 #4 · Sony FE Images Thread

Several shots from today with various lenses...Just picked up a Minolta Rokkor 135 2.8. Pretty nice lens, with the only drawback being its very long MFD.
Gregg

Contax 100 Planar @f4, with 28mm extension tube

Contax 35-70 WO @mfd in macro

MD Rokkor 135 2.8 @2.8 and mfd

MD Rokkor 135 2.8 @2.8 and mfd

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.438 #5 · p.438 #5 · Sony FE Images Thread

Gregg. For trips away I always take too many lenses and come back with 1-2 I didn't use. My good intentions prior to going are (depending on the nature of the trip of course - entirely different if it's for birds) : 1 x wide (21-24mm) 1 x ca. 50mm (some may prefer 35mm) with the A7 that being the FE 55/1.8 (though I'm being tempted to include the Sigma ART 35/1.4) and one short tele (85-135), at the moment that is the Zeiss 100/2. Plus one ultra-fast lens, now I've got my Cosina 55/1.2 back that is my preference.

This pretty much covers everything I'd want to shoot with 3-4 lenses. Now if I take the D800E as well then I have cross-over from the lenses for that too so may trim a little from the A7 kit. I always take 2 cameras with me on overnighters.

From your profile I'd go : 28/2.8, Rokkor 35-70 or Contax (whichever you prefer), Lux R50 or ASPH (whichever you prefer) and your Contax 100/2.

Aug 09, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Super Angulon
• •
p.438 #6 · p.438 #6 · Sony FE Images Thread

A7 with apo summicron 90

(null) by -Wisawa Freeman-

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.438 #7 · p.438 #7 · Sony FE Images Thread

A7S with FE/24-70

DSC00713 by DarrellC, on Flickr

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.438 #8 · p.438 #8 · Sony FE Images Thread

"Tools - Primo's Garage"

DSC08871_HDR-BW-shrap-2.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:51 AM
dovey
• •
p.438 #9 · p.438 #9 · Sony FE Images Thread

Charles,
You have cost me a lot of money, just bought the A7s from Melbourne.
I brought along the A7r and the FE lenses. You were right, the camera feels the same to handle but behaves much better. Focus is fast and accurate, start up is faster and the oop jpgs are much better, significantly better.
The White Balance is much more what I see and does not require correction.
I have not had a decent play with it as yet, looking forward to it. Thanks for your input and advice

Aug 10, 2014 at 03:03 AM
juan_amores
• • •
p.438 #10 · p.438 #10 · Sony FE Images Thread

Sony A7 and Canon FD 24/2.8 at Vejer de la Frontera (Spain)

_DSC2230_F_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

_DSC2211_F_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

_DSC2204_F_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

Aug 10, 2014 at 04:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wfrank
• • • •
p.438 #11 · p.438 #11 · Sony FE Images Thread

philber wrote:
Wilhelm, I absolutely hate you! For at least 5 seconds. I owned a C/Y 35-70 and it rapidly became the lens I loved to hate. Not the IQ, but using it was such a pain. I had totally gotten over it, and now you come up with such a cracking shot. Go away!

Hey Philippe and thanks :-)

It's of course a bit different to use on an A7 and while I just got it (or maybe because just of that) I like it very much. Prime quality and Contax pop. Just like with the (significantly larger) Contax CY 28-85 that I also have - but leave at home because of the size. On the 5D2 (which I know you also had) the 28-85 was more comfortable.

Greggf wrote:
Wilhelm...
You finally got your Contax 35-70!! Congrats...
Look forward to more pics from you! I'm telling you, it's made for the A7's! Taking mine to Hawaii best week for 2 weeks. I'm planning on it being my main lens while I'm there.
Gregg

Yes thanks Gregg :-) I just had mine on an Island trip here to Gotland. Sadly I started out by danging it and camera into chalk cliff on a fall while climbing raukar. But I was lucky so I'll use some more bandwidth here later on..

What reflection issue are you referring to in a later post? I never tape any adapters and the shutter count is now some 3000 images and I never saw such things (90% Contax CY). Jochen (I think it was) helped me spot the "sensor reflection issue" that can happen in shots taken in dark into lamps. While I rarely can see faint traces of that it hasnt influenced how and what I like to shoot.

EDIT: BTW your Hawaii kit sounds perfect (incl the 28/2.8) :-) I'd probably add a fast Contax too, like the 35/1.4 or perhaps 85/1.4 or both just because they're so good.

Aug 10, 2014 at 05:07 AM
navydoc
• •
p.438 #12 · p.438 #12 · Sony FE Images Thread

Navydoc -- In your pictre of the bench infront of the brick building reflecting, I was wondering what that effect is called. I know it's not 3D or gloss, but I've seen it in some other images as well. Would you be willing to share your PP secret?

This one
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3835/14841749665_e85f5e4ced_h.jpg

If anyone else knows what that "look" is called please feel free to share. Trying to find other pictures with the same effect.

I'm not totally sure what "look" you are referring to but I suppose one could call it an hdr look. Beyond color toning and vignetting, I compressed the highlights and shadows and increased the details.

Aug 10, 2014 at 05:53 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.438 #13 · p.438 #13 · Sony FE Images Thread

Lovey, congrats on the A7s

An afternoon walk at Surfers Paradise along the beach and Cavill mall. A7s and FE 55. I am really liking how the FE 55 renders with the A7s.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:15 AM
alaskandood
• •
p.438 #14 · p.438 #14 · Sony FE Images Thread

Charles.k-- really like that set, particularly the first image and the B&W one with the gentleman talking on his cell phone.

Spent about four hours on this image trying to give it that glossy look with no luck. I did a slight tone map (still too much) adjusted mid tones, and played with some filters to no avail.

A7 & 17-35/2.8 nikon @17ish & f/4 or WO.

Slick line crew with Drilling rig in background. It was a grey day and this picture was of a sight I rarely see. I figured it was as good a shot as any to experiment with B&W. Was going for the effect that was used in pictures of men constructing NYC back in the day.
A7 & FE 35/2.8

Edited on Aug 10, 2014 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:19 AM
alaskandood
• •
p.438 #15 · p.438 #15 · Sony FE Images Thread

navydoc wrote:
I'm not totally sure what "look" you are referring to but I suppose one could call it an hdr look. Beyond color toning and vignetting, I compressed the highlights and shadows and increased the details.

Thank you for the response Navydoc, I just love the "feel" of the image.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:33 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.438 #16 · p.438 #16 · Sony FE Images Thread

If you see what I see you could google on "Dave Hill Look". Note that lighting place a big role. On the image by navydoc it's tuned down and done with more taste if you ask me.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:36 AM
Mark Blumer

p.438 #17 · p.438 #17 · Sony FE Images Thread

A few from the last few days. All with a7r and FE24-70. The second photo was taken through a top floor window of the building in the first photo (which is the Michigan Supreme Court building). Thanks for looking.

Mark (East Lansing, Michigan)

Michigan Hall of Justice, Lansing, Michigan

Michigan Capitol building, Lansing, Michigan

farmers market

farmers market

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:19 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.438 #18 · p.438 #18 · Sony FE Images Thread

This is a Video shot entirely with the A7s and Leica WATE

http://youtu.be/AZcqwpTrXSw

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:57 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.438 #19 · p.438 #19 · Sony FE Images Thread

Wilhelm...looking forward to more images with your 35-70! As far as the reflection on the sensor goes, I'm baffled. It does it more with my 100 Planar than the 35-70. I've heard that it's possibly my adapter, so that's why the gaffers tape inside. We'll see...Mike Reid told me to leave the 35-70 home, but that's not really an option. The 35-70 resolves better than almost any lens I have, except maybe the Planar!!
I don't have a 35 1.4(just the CV 35 1.7) and in not bringing the Leica R 80...
Charles...your A7s pics are fantastic. Really makes the 55 look awesome!!
Alaskandood...the 17-35 shot looks great...that lens must be a beast on the A7??!!
Gregg

Aug 10, 2014 at 09:59 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.438 #20 · p.438 #20 · Sony FE Images Thread

A7s w/Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM (Japanese lux) wide open

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1       2       3              437      
       439              4791       4792       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              437      
       439              4791       4792       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.