1       2       3              34      
       36              4791       4792       end

Sony FE Images Thread

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · Sony FE Images Thread

sebboh wrote:

yeah, there aren't any 21mm lenses as small as the cv 15 either except for the cv 21/4, which has pretty terrible smearing.

I thought the CV 21 f/4 only showed color shift on the A7, not so much smearing. Is there smearing as well?

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:12 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · Sony FE Images Thread

A7....

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro....

Zeiss C/Y 85 2.8....

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:19 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · Sony FE Images Thread

michael49 wrote:
I thought the CV 21 f/4 only showed color shift on the A7, not so much smearing. Is there smearing as well?

the images I've seen show substantial smearing. it's the cv 21/1.8 that seems clean, but that is a much larger lens.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:19 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · Sony FE Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
the images I've seen show substantial smearing. it's the cv 21/1.8 that seems clean, but that is a much larger lens.

That's a shame, the 21mm f/4 image at the bottom of this page didn't look too bad to me though....

http://tobinators.com/blog/index.php/2013/12/techniques/a7r-more-lenses-and-lightroom-flat-field-conversion/

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:39 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · Sony FE Images Thread

philip_pj wrote:
You are on fire, wilhelm, thanks so much for this demonstration of this great lens. To think some people dismiss alt lenses, quite unreal. The extraordinary shadow detail absolutely makes these images.

Thanks so much Philip! And thanks for all the likes from everybody else too.

Here's another oldish Distagon, the Contax 28/2.8. From this afternoon a late lunch walk in the old town. I dont think my copy is perfect but sizewise it makes a neat package on the A7.

Some shots.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.35 #6 · p.35 #6 · Sony FE Images Thread

michael49 wrote:
That's a shame, the 21mm f/4 image at the bottom of this page didn't look too bad to me though....

http://tobinators.com/blog/index.php/2013/12/techniques/a7r-more-lenses-and-lightroom-flat-field-conversion/

doesn't look bad, doesn't look good though at the edge and that's at f/8 and not even at the corner. it's definitely usable, but i think if corners matter cropping the 15/4.5 to 21mm would probably be better.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:53 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #7 · p.35 #7 · Sony FE Images Thread

michael49 wrote:

That looks good to me in particular for the A7r. I've seen worse for examples, one example is HERE. It actually makes me wonder if it's the same lens @ same maginfication. There is an A7 example too and it looks better but it could be the resolution. In general I think there is a frenzy to interpret less sharp corners than center to be smearing regarding the A7's. Some of it is natural perhaps leaving ridiculously expensive lenses such as Otus et.al alone.

- - -

The less sharp far corners of e.g. the usually celebrated Contax Distagon 28/2.8 (SLR lens = good distance between back lens and sensor) are softer too but one of the better 28's I tried on FF so far. If it had shorter exit pupil distance I bet someone would call that softness smearing.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #8 · p.35 #8 · Sony FE Images Thread

I got my CV 21/1.8 yesterday but don't have an adapter to mount it yet. It is built like a tank and kind of heavy for its size, but doesn't seem too large to balance well on the A7 by any means.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:12 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.35 #9 · p.35 #9 · Sony FE Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
yeah, there aren't any 21mm lenses as small as the cv 15 either except for the cv 21/4, which has pretty terrible smearing.

The OM 21/3.5 is pretty small as well and the 24 Canon FD/2 is small enough.

For now the improvement must lie in the fact that you can shoot at the real FL of the alt lenses again, but I can see it is a bit frustrating that a lot of our favourite wide angle lenses don't perform on the A7r as we hoped for.
But their is still enough to comfort me. So far I like what the 20,24 and 28 Canon FD's can do.
I don't really know if I lowered my standadrs with these lenses.

This lens is rather big but I like it on The A7r. ( this is a shot towards the sun, so a bit soft)

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.35 #10 · p.35 #10 · Sony FE Images Thread

wfrank wrote:
That looks good to me in particular for the A7r. I've seen worse for examples, one example is HERE. It actually makes me wonder if it's the same lens @ same maginfication. There is an A7 example too and it looks better but it could be the resolution. In general I think there is a frenzy to interpret less sharp corners than center to be smearing regarding the A7's. Some of it is natural perhaps leaving ridiculously expensive lenses such as Otus et.al alone.

- - -

The less sharp far corners of e.g. the usually celebrated Contax Distagon 28/2.8
...Show more

usually smearing looks different than corner softness at least to me. there are a plenty of slr wides with weak or very weak corners that still look very different to smearing. in any event, i'm not terribly concerned by what i've seen, my interest in wide angle lenses is purely academic. i'll probably just use my rokkors and buying any wide angles would be solely due to not being able to find any non photography based way to spend my money...

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ebookman
• • •
p.35 #11 · p.35 #11 · Sony FE Images Thread

Michiel --
You said, "So far I like what the 20,24 and 28 Canon FD's can do.
I don't really know if I lowered my standards with these lenses.
This lens is rather big but I like it on The A7r. "

Michiel, I don't think you have lowered your standards at all. In fact, this photo pushed me over the edge to order a Canon 20 mm FD. Thanks for your great work! Were was this picture taken? I think I would like to go there.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:59 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.35 #12 · p.35 #12 · Sony FE Images Thread

Thank you ebookman

This was taken in Mers les bains, an old fashioned bath town in upper Normandy. The atmosphere has a lot of glory of the past which I like very much. It is near our house.

I thought the above was not the best example, a little flat so I pimped it up a bit in PP, but now it is a bit to blue for my taste. I am a little lost because I am working without Adobe software at the moment.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:17 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.35 #13 · p.35 #13 · Sony FE Images Thread

Wilhelm, have you tried your Contax G 21? I suppose it does smear but I still hope it's sort of usable…

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:28 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #14 · p.35 #14 · Sony FE Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
usually smearing looks different than corner softness at least to me.

I think it does to most, except perhaps in the A7/r RF WA performance thread.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:36 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #15 · p.35 #15 · Sony FE Images Thread

Some more Distagon shots, back to Contax 35/1.4. Three shots, last two from the same spot different angle.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:39 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #16 · p.35 #16 · Sony FE Images Thread

xbarcelo wrote:
Wilhelm, have you tried your Contax G 21? I suppose it does smear but I still hope it's sort of usable…

Hey Xavier. No I havent yet, I dont have much hope though given what I've seen. The Contax G28 seem already below the threshold and I expect it to be kinder to the A7 sensor than the G21.

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:07 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.35 #17 · p.35 #17 · Sony FE Images Thread

Makten wrote:
hanks! I use the latest ACR for PS CS5, which isn't that new anymore. And I've been rethinking the noise suppression as well. Though I don't mind a bit of grain, so I rather leave it lower than 20% for most of the time.

I can see a bit of CA, which ACR often can reduce to zero without effort. Have you tried that?

We use the same, I never bothered to update too

On CA, feel free to show me how, I'll buy you a beer or two for it :-)

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:23 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.35 #18 · p.35 #18 · Sony FE Images Thread

wfrank wrote:
Hey Xavier. No I havent yet, I dont have much hope though given what I've seen. The Contax G28 seem already below the threshold and I expect it to be kinder to the A7 sensor than the G21.

Thanks for answering! Do report when you try. I'm curious (and not particularly hopeful).

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #19 · p.35 #19 · Sony FE Images Thread

Taken with my favorite Zeiss lens: 135mm f/2.0 Sonnar APO at f/2.0. It consists of 6 focus-stacked files to increase the depth of field.

Crown of Sago Palm

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:37 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.35 #20 · p.35 #20 · Sony FE Images Thread

We are planning a trip to Europe for July 2014 and are having a difficult time trying to decide where to go with our three weeks. This thread is no help, because as soon as I figure I know where I want to go, then Wilhelm posts some intriguing images; ok, that settled maybe we'll go there... then Michiel jumps in. And then Carsten and ... maybe we'll just stay home.

Not much to look at in my neighbourhood this gloomy day. A7r / FE35, some alts may follow later:

Tagging along the abandoned railway by whiskyvictor, on Flickr

Abandoned Arbutus Line, Vancouver by whiskyvictor, on Flickr

Edited on Dec 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2013 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.