1       2       3              1413      
       1415              4791       4792       end

Sony FE Images Thread

mwhartman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1414 #1 · p.1414 #1 · Sony FE Images Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
Because of the bad internet connection in a fairly isolated part of Italy, I was out of "circulation" for a few days. I just arrived in Venice today. I know I missed a lot of great images. I will go through the last several pages a little later although the internet connection here in Venice is better but still not quite there..

I met Manuel Lamantia here in Venice for a multi-day session during the famous mask carnival. Too bad the weather is not cooperating with us... . Anyway, here is the first image captured indoor of our good friend,
...Show more

Last Summer, we spent a few days in Venice then four weeks in Ortigia Sicily. Wonderful people, food, and tons of photo opportunities, Thanks for sharing.

Feb 07, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1414 #2 · p.1414 #2 · Sony FE Images Thread

Two-shot blend, one for foreground and one for background. A7R2 with Canon FD80-200/4L:

Feb 07, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1414 #3 · p.1414 #3 · Sony FE Images Thread

TheEmrys wrote:
Just a Bald Eagle hunting at the dog park....
a7II, Minolta 100-300 APO D @210mm (what happened here? Why wasn't I at 300mm?), ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/1000.
Nearly a 1:1 crop

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1503/24250062763_32b5d4ca60_b.jpgThe Hunting Eagle by the3mrys, on Flickr

Was it zeroed in one one of the little yappers?

Feb 07, 2016 at 12:32 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1414 #4 · p.1414 #4 · Sony FE Images Thread

I had a short visit to Milwaukee to see family and even a shorter time to meet up with some friends for a sunrise shoot on Lake Michigan.

Feb 07, 2016 at 12:40 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1414 #5 · p.1414 #5 · Sony FE Images Thread

Miami, Arizona, 2/6/2016.
Harry Palmer

Welcome, welcome, to Miami .

Packard at Mobile Station.

Seeburg Juke Box at Soda Pops, restored Soda Fountain.

Rosco guarding Pops antique store.

Details inside a 1912 bank vault door.

Edited on Feb 07, 2016 at 03:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2016 at 12:52 PM
xwing15
• • • •
p.1414 #6 · p.1414 #6 · Sony FE Images Thread

Montreux, switzerland

René

@Samuli thank you very much for your very interesting analysis.

Feb 07, 2016 at 01:09 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1414 #7 · p.1414 #7 · Sony FE Images Thread

Well, I have an 80 lb. Chow/German Shepherd mix, so I felt good. But a guy with a 15 lb. terrier was nervous. It actually dropped on a rodent putside the fence. Saw it yesterday, but quite glad I brought my camera. Found some funky dust spots on the la-ea4, through. Tough to clean that transluscent mirror.

Mike Ganz wrote:
Was it zeroed in one one of the little yappers?

Feb 07, 2016 at 01:29 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1414 #8 · p.1414 #8 · Sony FE Images Thread

My dog has some chow in him too I believe Emrys

85 Mino limited

Contax N 85

Feb 07, 2016 at 01:40 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1414 #9 · p.1414 #9 · Sony FE Images Thread

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Now I shoot often with Loxia 2/50 even it's lack on rendering style department compared to G45, but round aperture and saving EXIF to images is pretty nice as well, hard compromises.... and same with ZE1.4/50 vs C/Y1.4/50.

Samuli

Samuli, what's in your opinion the main difference between the ZF/ZF 1.4/50 Planar and the Loxia 50?
At the moment I have both lenses at home and plan to do some comparison myself, but I haven't bought the A7RII yet. My plan was to sell both the Otus 55 and the ZF 50 and use the Loxia 50 instead, expecting a similar performance and rendering to the ZF 50.

Boris

Feb 07, 2016 at 02:11 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1414 #10 · p.1414 #10 · Sony FE Images Thread

Fujifilm 160S emulation

Feb 07, 2016 at 02:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmaxphil
• •
p.1414 #11 · p.1414 #11 · Sony FE Images Thread

Another shot with the 90mm macro G

Feb 07, 2016 at 02:59 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.1414 #12 · p.1414 #12 · Sony FE Images Thread

Loxia 50 ..

Amaryllis

Fort Popham, Maine

Feb 07, 2016 at 03:07 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.1414 #13 · p.1414 #13 · Sony FE Images Thread

I've been learning how to use Capture One as an editing tool. It's different but I'm getting there…. I think.

© Mnd1 2016

Amber. A7R Zeiss Makro Planar 100mm

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:31 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1414 #14 · p.1414 #14 · Sony FE Images Thread

Bobu wrote:
Samuli, what's in your opinion the main difference between the ZF/ZF 1.4/50 Planar and the Loxia 50?
At the moment I have both lenses at home and plan to do some comparison myself, but I haven't bought the A7RII yet. My plan was to sell both the Otus 55 and the ZF 50 and use the Loxia 50 instead, expecting a similar performance and rendering to the ZF 50.

Wow what a question...this would need a book, but I try to answer short. These are my opinions and I'm not optics expert, just a photographer - if one is needed ask The Suede or Toothwalker to join discussion...

Notice: when talking boke, let's assume it's not "flower boke", any crappy lens will produce ultrasmooth boke in situation where subject very close and background very far away.

ZE/ZF1.4/50:
Wide open has various aberrations (e.g. spherical aberration) and rendering is pretty crappy until f/2.2 on large distances (until f/2.8 at MFD). I would call wide open focus plane rendering "dreamy" at best (some people prefer this for portraits). Spherical aberration causes lens to have focus shift, however this only happens close- and mid-distances, and at infinity focus shift is non-existent. Boke can be good wide open (specially at large/mid distances), but there are tendencies to form swirly boke (specially close-up) and boke highlight balls/rings tend to have bright edge. Zeiss would have avoided lots of forum crying by mediocre users if they would sell this as a f/2.8 lens instread of f/1.4 lens...

Nature of lens changes when it closed down to f/2.2 (large distances) - f/2.8 (close distances). Then aberrations are mostly gone and lens renders with very small amount of aberrations, as a results lens gives very good results in focus plane (good large object contrast, good microcontrast, good sharpness). Challenges are focus shift and field curvature. As you have ZF, just focus shooting aperture if <f/2.8 and at f/2.8 if shooting closed down, and you will never experience focus shift. Even it's "PLANAR" the field curvature is pretty bad, but at f/8 it's possible to shoot image which sharp from edge to edge. Good thing about field curvature is that the shape is round and smooth (e.g. no midzone dip). In practice when photographing 3D subjects, and not so much test targets, photographer can use the field curvature as to one's benefit. If you want to shoot planar subjects with wide aperture, please select some other tool for the job.

When operating apertures mentioned on previous chapter boke is really really good; contrast in boke is low compared to contrast in focal plane. In addition boke behaves nicely in almost every possibe situation. Also pay attention how on f/4 MTF sagittal and tangential lines are pretty close - this means that there is not much astigmatism and boke is not ruined by astigmatism. When reaching the optimal apertures (f/2.2-2.8 depending on distance) DOF is also uniform thickness over the whole frame.

Loxia 2/50:
Wide open performance is pretty good on focus plane, but microcontrast is missing. And we are talking here WAY BETTER than ZE/ZF 1.4 version wide open. Boke has tendency to draw harsh boke (hard edged boke highlight balls/circles). When closed down to f/2.8 lens improves considerably, micro contast is much better.

Lens doesn't suffer from major focus shift, but there is some sort of wave in the and in MTF zone B dips, not much it does. Focus shift is minimal and in practice does not need to be mitigated.

Boke quality improves a little also after f/2.8 unlike ZE/ZF series f/1.4 - maximum quality is reached by f/4. Even then I would describe Loxia boke character has more tendency to generate issues than ZE/ZF f/1.4 @ f/2.2-2.8 and smaller aperture. In order to reach same thickness of DOF all over the frame lens need to be close down to ~f/5.6 based on shooting experience (looking the vignetting graph, which clear only at f/8 the measurements support this). Boke contrast vs DOF contrast: boke contrast is lower than DOF contrast, but difference is not as clear than in ZE/ZF f/1.4.

At close shooting distances Loxia is slightly better at same aperture number until f/2.8, after which they seem to be about the same.

As can be seen from f/5.6 MTF chart sagittal and tangential lines separate in zone B. This indicates astigmatism and boke issues. Sometimes these can be seen, most of the times not visible - depends a lot of your scenes, if you need to lure this behaviour to visible I recommends evergreen forests and spruces with long needless.

Written in a hurry, hope I didn't forget anything essential about rendering style.

Focus plane sharpness can be seen and compared from MTF charts. Based on practical shooting I do not believe Loxia's good corner drawing with standard 2mm thick sensor cover glass, I hope it improves with Kolari thin sensor glass modification to be at level it's on the MTF chart by Zeiss:

What you didn't ask:
- Loxia is lots smaller and lighter (considering adapter). But if you have adapter with Arca-Swiss plate it makes tripod shooting better than trying to hang whole combination from camera.
- Loxia saves EXIF-information, this can be valuable when lens is new and one is learning the lens.
- Erconomics: Focus throw and feeling = same. Focusing is easier with Loxia as there is no adapter bringing the lens far away from camera body. But bad in Loxia is that it's sometimes hard to feel which is focus ring and which is aperture ring.
- Both lenses are pretty good against backlight, Sony sensor weird green reflections are bigger problem than either of the lenses. Both hoods protect as efficient.
- Loxia has weird 52mm filtersize, while ZE/ZF has 58mm.

These two lenses are very different. This is why I want to keep both "rendering style families" for various situations and shooting "moods".

Samuli

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:35 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1414 #15 · p.1414 #15 · Sony FE Images Thread

As usual lots of inspirational images. Here are two A7II with the FE16-35 from Gamla Stan in Stockholm.

DSC01321 1500 oldschool by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01328 1500 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:36 PM
puckman
• •
p.1414 #16 · p.1414 #16 · Sony FE Images Thread

What a fantastic capture. It makes me want to know more. Where was it taken? What's the story? The room, the model, the complementary colors! It's all so intriguing.

AGeoJO wrote:
Because of the bad internet connection in a fairly isolated part of Italy, I was out of "circulation" for a few days. I just arrived in Venice today. I know I missed a lot of great images. I will go through the last several pages a little later although the internet connection here in Venice is better but still not quite there..

I met Manuel Lamantia here in Venice for a multi-day session during the famous mask carnival. Too bad the weather is not cooperating with us... . Anyway, here is the first image captured indoor of our good friend,
...Show more

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:40 PM
Clayton G
• •
p.1414 #17 · p.1414 #17 · Sony FE Images Thread

dolina wrote:
Would love to see a 2560x1600 version of this.

There is a 9718 x 6041 on my flickr if thats big enough.

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:45 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1414 #18 · p.1414 #18 · Sony FE Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
pen f 42/1.2:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1533/23986410173_c71c74fcb9_o.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1445/23986417333_b008c89e26_o.jpg

Hazish - but wonderful.

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1414 #19 · p.1414 #19 · Sony FE Images Thread

helena – i really prefer the rendering of the cv for your closer in wider aperture stuff, but agree the rendering for landscapes is a little lacking compared to the c/y. if only the rokkor 58/1.2 were the size of the cv or the lux asph were a grand cheaper...

in any event, here's another m 35 lux pre-asph shot:

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:54 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1414 #20 · p.1414 #20 · Sony FE Images Thread

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
These two lenses are very different. This is why I want to keep both "rendering style families" for various situations and shooting "moods".

Samuli

Thanks Samuli for the quick reply.
I expected significant differences at f/2 and f/2.8 between the two lenses, especially at closer distances, which you confirmed.
But I've used my 50mm Planar mainly (I could also say only) from f/4 to f/11 with most of my images shot at f/5.6 or f/8. Do you think I will see any significant differences at f/5.6 or f/8 between the two lenses? I know the Loxia is no Otus, but I want a lightweight lens and I would really like to have exif data. Are microcontrast, corner sharpness and colors of the Loxia 50 at f/5.6 or f/8 on the same level as with the 50 Planar?

Boris

Feb 07, 2016 at 05:00 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.