Sony FE Images Thread

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.116 #1 · p.116 #1 · Sony FE Images Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Anyone? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Samuli maybe?

Yes, I use a ZF.2 on the A7, no issues whatsoever. Focus shift is no longer an issue with this EVF. Most of the time, I don't even need to zoom in, unless the light drops a bit or I stop it down a bit.

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:00 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.116 #2 · p.116 #2 · Sony FE Images Thread

carstenw wrote:
Yes, I use a ZF.2 on the A7, no issues whatsoever. Focus shift is no longer an issue with this EVF. Most of the time, I don't even need to zoom in, unless the light drops a bit or I stop it down a bit.

Ok thank you Carsten! I do miss this lens sometimes, the A7 might be a good option to use it again.

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:23 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.116 #3 · p.116 #3 · Sony FE Images Thread

Musicman wrote:
A few black & whites
FDn 17mm f/4

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7398/12103550655_7f56f20410_o.jpg
Big Sky by cybertect, on Flickr

How do you like the FDn 17 mm on this camera? Any more samples, closer by, may be?

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2014 at 06:59 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.116 #4 · p.116 #4 · Sony FE Images Thread

Some B&W conversions . . . these, from Brussels.

Olympus OM 21/3.5

Jan 24, 2014 at 07:46 AM
juan_amores
• • •
p.116 #5 · p.116 #5 · Sony FE Images Thread

A few shots testing a Minolta MD 50 f1.7

_DSC0818_F por John Loves, en Flickr

_DSC0808__ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

_DSC0815_F por John Loves, en Flickr

_DSC0830_F por John Loves, en Flickr

Jan 24, 2014 at 07:55 AM
thebratts
• •
p.116 #6 · p.116 #6 · Sony FE Images Thread

Thanks Darrelic, i love the lens and shooting with it on the A7.

Same place as yesterday, today with the 55 1.8

All wide open

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Musicman
• •
p.116 #7 · p.116 #7 · Sony FE Images Thread

sculptormic wrote:
How do you like the FDn 17 mm on this camera? Any more samples, closer by, may be?

It's surprising me both ways. Sometimes the corners are a lot better than I've seen when using it with film; even when it's at quite wide apertures. Then, on other occasions it seems just relatively mediocre when I'm not expecting it.

I have a suspicion it works better with things that are close-to than it does at infinity, but I probably haven't really shot with it enough to get a proper handle on how it behaves. As a result I've not got a lot online at the moment.

I do appear to be having less trouble with flare with the FDn 17/4 on the A7 than I have with the FDn 20/2.8.

Gedling Place by cybertect, on Flickr

I think I posted this a few days ago

RGBY by cybertect, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.116 #8 · p.116 #8 · Sony FE Images Thread

sculptormic wrote:

Musicman wrote:
It's surprising me both ways. Sometimes the corners are a lot better than I've seen when using it with film; even when it's at quite wide apertures. Then, on other occasions it seems just relatively mediocre when I'm not expecting it.

I have a suspicion it works better with things that are close-to than it does at infinity, but I probably haven't really shot with it enough to get a proper handle on how it behaves. As a result I've not got a lot online at the moment.

For infinity images do you set the lens to the infinity hard stop or do you use magnified view to find focus? It seems most lens adapters are intentionally made too thin, which causes focus past infinity if the hard stop is used, which in turn degrades image quality. This is my experience with RF lenses on these cameras and it's necessary to use magnified live view to achieve the best results.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Musicman
• •
p.116 #9 · p.116 #9 · Sony FE Images Thread

Habitually I use magnified focus view.

It's that the edges seem to suffer more when the lens is set to infinity than they do when it's focused to a closer distance, even if the centre is fine.

I really need to use it more to check out my hunches and make some notes about the apertures I'm using with the 17mm, but I've been having too much fun with my FD 85L

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.116 #10 · p.116 #10 · Sony FE Images Thread

OK, good to know and rules out that variable. I'd probably chalk it up to being a 1980s lens design. While Canon certainly made many excellent FD lenses, they never struck me as being that great with wide angles, even until fairly recently (this based on being a Canon user going on 30 years).

What I found with some of my rangefinder ultra wides on APS-C (the GXR) was that backing focus off a bit from correct infinity focus at the centre seemed to help the edges. But that was because it increased the lens-sensor distance and reduced the amount of edge smearing slightly. Given that you're using SLR lenses, I'm not sure sensor smearing is the cause of the problem. Maybe there is some field curvature that requires a compromise focus setting between the optimum centre and edge focus distances?

Nice one of the vespas!

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Musicman
• •
p.116 #11 · p.116 #11 · Sony FE Images Thread

rscheffler wrote:
OK, good to know and rules out that variable. I'd probably chalk it up to being a 1980s lens design. While Canon certainly made many excellent FD lenses, they never struck me as being that great with wide angles, even until fairly recently (this based on being a Canon user going on 30 years).

I'd probably agree. TBH I'm not sure it's any worse than my 17-40 f/L is at 17mm with a 5D, and I've put up with soft corners on that for years

rscheffler wrote:
Nice one of the vespas!

Ta!

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
cellison

p.116 #12 · p.116 #12 · Sony FE Images Thread

One of the first pics with my Leica 50mm Rigid using the metabones m to e adapter
Not bad for a lens older than me.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.116 #13 · p.116 #13 · Sony FE Images Thread

Taken with Sony A7R & Canon TS-E 90 f/2.8.
Lens shifted horizontally in landscape orientation (3 stitched images)

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:05 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.116 #14 · p.116 #14 · Sony FE Images Thread

Musicman, I find it quiet a surprise how the 17 FD behaves. Never heard much good about it, but this looks promising. Funny how these cameras work so well with lenses you never thought off much. FD lenses in general are fine on my A7r. Thank you for the info and yes I saw those Vespa's pass by but did not notice the lens you used.

Finally had a few moments to shoot some of my C/Y lenses with a black rubber ring in the adapter.
No more reflections on the sensor till now, but this wa without really much sunlight.

Haspels by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr
wide open

Zuidas14 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr
Not much DOF

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:50 PM
thebratts
• •
p.116 #15 · p.116 #15 · Sony FE Images Thread

Sorry for spamming, unfortunate events made it possible for me to go out shooting two days in a row!
Tried to take similar pictures that i took yesterday with the rokkor 58 (sets previous page , 115)

The rest of the set from today. Sundbybergs båtklubb with FE 55 1.8 - most wide open.

Edited on Jan 24, 2014 at 05:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:51 PM
Sixty4

p.116 #16 · p.116 #16 · Sony FE Images Thread

Canon nFD 85mm f/1.2L

DSC00422 by Sixtyfour, on Flickr

DSC00130 by Sixtyfour, on Flickr

Canon nFD 17mm f/4

Sony a7 + Canon FD 09 by Sixtyfour, on Flickr

Canon nFD 50mm f/1.4

DSC00523 by Sixtyfour, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2014 at 03:50 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.116 #17 · p.116 #17 · Sony FE Images Thread

Welcome to the forum 64, yet another member from Diemen-Noord

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:16 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.116 #18 · p.116 #18 · Sony FE Images Thread

I just did a test set up for a headphone/model shoot that's coming in next week. I used a Rodenstock 105mm APO Rodagon mounted by a Zork MFA adapter to the A7r . The final shot will have a new set of headphones and a live model. This combination is nothing short of phenomenal. The MFA gives me tilt and shift capabilities with the A7r that was one of the main reasons I bought the Sony. For extreme detail of products like watches and jewelry it can't be beat, also controlled focus for food photography is another plus.

105mm APO Rodagon, A7r

Crop

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.116 #19 · p.116 #19 · Sony FE Images Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Anyone? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Samuli maybe?

Sorry, missed your question, thread is moving too fast... To answer to your question, I feel little different than Carsten, but that is due to him having aperture ring and me not having it. For me it's much slower and more cumbersome to shoot with A7/A7r than 5DmkII with lenses having focus shift and electronically controlled aperture. This is because A-mode and M-mode are sharing aperture (in 5DmkII both modes remember their aperture). And even if that would work properly there is S-mode in between A-mode and M-mode. Lens itself performs very well.

However due to how controls and firmware is build, I have decided to move from Planar 1.4/50 as my primary lens to other lenses; mainly FE55, supported by G45 and Rokkor 58/1.2. I'm also trying to find Canon FD 50/1.2L.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZE @ f/11, HDR(1.6s, 6s and 25s), A7 @ ISO 400

Samuli

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:35 PM
tjack
• •
p.116 #20 · p.116 #20 · Sony FE Images Thread

For all your hardware needs be sure to go to MrT's

Mr T's Iron River by xposhore, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 27, 2014 at 10:06 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:39 PM
1       2       3              115      
       117              4800       4801       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              115      
       117              4800       4801       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.