Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

If one compares the image quality with similarly framed images will there be a noticeable difference in print quality from the Fuji X (X-E1 or X-E2) and the Canon 6D or the Nikon Full Frame offerings?

Am looking for the highest quality print from the cameras. Currently have an X-E1 and am very interested in the Canon 6D, especially for its low light performance.(have only read about it - not shot it) Have Canon gear and lenses so that would work.

If Nikon is 'that much better' for low light/night/moonlight work I would consider switching back to Nikon again. Still have some of my older top quality lenses from the F5 days I could use.

Any real world experience of these head to head?

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

The canon 6d is canons best camera (to me atleast) low light and high ISO it is excellent. I printed some images from my canon 6d when I had it i don't remember the size but they weren't über small. 16x24 or something like that and they look fine. I sold mine only because Nikons offerings have better dynamic range than canon. I shoot a lot of landscapes and such so dr to me is important. I liked taking one shot instead of bracketing to get my desired result

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

Canons have weak shadow performance and low DR, but nice skin tones and rendering, so it depends a bit what you are after. I would say that the Nikons are currently a large step up for landscaping. I would expect better sensor performance for the X-E2 compared to the 6D, and there is of course the A7/A7R, if that works out for the lenses you own.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

I own the 6D, X Pro-1, and X100s (among other things). The 6D has better high ISO performance (6400+), better centre-point AF in low light and AI Servo for moving subjects, and better battery life than the X Pro-1 (i.e. X-E1); otherwise, their image quality is very similar. IMO, in most situautions with static and slow subjects, the only major IQ distinctions between them are due to the lenses mounted on them, not the cameras themselves.

I recently posted a number of IQ comparisons between the X Pro-1 and 6D,

summary, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247748
comparison photos, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247748/0#11870671

I sometimes use the X Pro-1 + 14/2.8, X100 (now X100s), and 6D + 70-200/2.8L IS II at the same time, for intimate events. They all produce excellent IQ. The greatest difference between the Fuji and Canon cameras is colour rendering in artificial light, probably mostly due to differences in their auto-white balance (AWB) handling.

For scenic photography, I'm planning to get an A7R for use with my Canon and Alt lenses (see link). For other applications, I'll generally use 1D-series cameras or a combination of Fuji X and 6D, depending on circumstances.

Canon and Alt on A7R, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247661/53#11942785

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:52 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

My 6D is very good at low light and shadow lifting (if you have to do it), is much improved over the 5D2 and 5D3 (haven't used a 1DX yet).

That said, Fuji is no slouch either when it comes to IQ. I prefer Canon for landscape scenes, just because working with X-trans can be a bit "different" when it comes to foliage, but they're really damn close otherwise and for skin I preferred my Fuji.

The 6D might have the edge, only because it's FF and very low noise, has 4 extra MP, and has some native sharp glass (but you can also adapt to Fuji, so maybe moot on the glass point).

That said, though, I'd not have a heartache shooting either one exclusively, and frankly at 16x20 or smaller I'd probably have a hard time telling the difference in IQ -- colors yes, IQ no. Even with larger prints, I'm not sure I would be able to definitively differentiate them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:56 PM
photorebel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

I have the x100s and Canon 6D. I was actually surprised..how close the image files of the Fuji were to the Canon, at high ISOs (6400)
IQ from the Fuji is superb. That is not to say it equals the 6D's FF sensor, but..that the Fuji sensor comes remarkably close. And at lower…ISOs (daylight)..the IQ..is very close.
As mentioned above, a lot will depend on the lens you are using, and if you are enlarging well above 8x10..to really see a difference.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

Download RAW test images with the same ISO from IR for the cameras in question. For example, compare the X-E2 to the D4 in your favorite converter. The similarity in IQ up to 3200 is very impressive. Also, try the comparison with the Sony 24mp A99. Even after downsizing or upsizing to equalize image size, the differences are insignificant IMO.

The X sensor is stellar. I like the files from the Fuji more than what I'm used to with my 5DII w/good glass.

Sal

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X image quality compared to Canon 6D?

Sorry to find I posted this twice in different forums at different times. Thought I had asked before but did not see it show up on a search. Just another case of me not being very good on the computer.

Thanks for those who have contributed, it helps.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.