Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

NEW SHORTLIST THREAD HERE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255287/

Hi all. Decided to give the Rock My Wedding Love Lust List directory a go. It'll probably not work out as value for money, but I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. The listing calls for a single 200x200px image. I'm struggling to choose. My work doesn't really lend itself to thumbnails as the stuff I emphasise tends to be more cluttered and about the moment. The moments tend not to shrink down into thumbnails at all well. Certainly not at this size. So I'm finding the decision making tough. I want to reflect my brand, but I also want to draw attention to the listing, otherwise, what's the point right!

Here's what the listings look like: http://www.thelovelustlist.co.uk/category/south-east-photographers/

These are some of the possibilities I'm considering. None really scream "my work" to me… but I feel that may be a limitation of a 200x200 image. Still, I guess it's about making an impact so, what do you think works?

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

11 or 14 (but only if you can crop higher to get the noses) would get my vote. 5 is nice, but borderline cliche (but it is well executed and the girl is clearly smiling with her eyes).

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

You're right Tony, I don't think any of these convey your brand but I like quite a few of them.

7, 11, 14 & 21 are ones that caught my eye.

Good luck mate

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

You need something that will stand out from the others. And it has to read at that small size, so something like #6 is out. #5 might work for a little safer photo, and is easily readable. I like #15 for something with a little more character and personality, which most of your competitors lack.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Cheers gents. I guess I have some follow up questions:

- Is my brand definable in single 200px x 200px thumb? (Serious qu!)
- Is it more important to define my brand or attract attention?
- Does the image have to be 'readable' to work.

Of those I have a personal fave (which I'm not going to voice yet) but 6 is the one that most closely reflects my brand. It's not obvious, but I wonder if it may provoke an enquiring eye?

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:00 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

- Is my brand definable in single 200px x 200px thumb? Not sure!
- Is it more important to define my brand or attract attention? My answer would be attract attention--then illustrate your brand through the work chosen on your profile page.
- Does the image have to be 'readable' to work. YES! People will gloss over it if they don't know what they're looking at. Most brides will be browsing and have looked at so many listings on so many vendor sites that they're only going to go to something that jumps out at them legibly--at least this is the assumption that I go on when doing this sort of thing.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:07 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Those are largely the assumptions I drew Duy. That said, I am keen to attract clients looking specifically for a certain type of work and so:

a) I'm not worried about alienating those who'd find a less obvious picture less compelling
b) I'd don't want a thumbnail to attract the wrong sort of clients. i.e. those who want a focus on portraiture

It's a tough one. There is no 'profile page' as such - it fires them directly through to my website - which is something I really like.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:12 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Have you tried using 6 but tightening it up a little bit? I know that it's an image that you like a lot and it's more unique. But if you crop it a little bit tighter I think you might be able to get both a legible image that is unique, and attracting. I think as it is, the couple is a bit too small in the thumbnail. I'm not sure if cropping will help (as naturally the composition will be a lot different) but maybe there's a square frame within the image that is also compelling. Maybe a color version? Just thinking aloud.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:31 AM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

8, 11, and 14 stood out to me. I'm leaning towards 14 because it's slightly different from poses I see a lot (8 and 11) and the colors attract my eye.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:32 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Difficult...hard to choose. I would personally go with something like 14 or 15 or one of the other ones that are a bit "different."

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

g-money
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

14 was the first one to stand out to me

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:27 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Thanks for the feedback all. 11 was my personal favourite running into this, but 14 gets a lot of love also.

I tried a tighter crop on #6 as suggested Duy, but the image breaks down as it needs the curve of the stairs to work.

I'm leaning towards #11 still as that's actually a large spread in a sample album so it feels like there is some concurrency there.

Any other thoughts… still don't feel like I have a perfect solution, but then again that's not unusual.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Gosh that's a tough on Tony. Looking through I honestly can't say any make me say "That's a Tony Hart photo". Perhaps 20 could work. There are a lot of nice couple portraits, which your good at, but if you're trying to sell PJ amongst the other people, I'm not sure that would be the right choice.

as an alternative, keep to 3:2 ratio and add a space with your logo above / below. I think the full shot of #6 could work well like this.

Good luck!

P.s. squares are evil. Perhaps you should start instagraming at weddings ;-)

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

5, 14 or 15 stand out to me

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

15, for sure. Brides will click on that.

I also like 5.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:22 PM
carriedaway

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

(as a recent bride) 5, 8 ,and 11 stand out to me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:15 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

Ok. Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had a think, taken your choices on board and decided to start a 2nd thread with a shortlist and some new entries based on feedback/further thought. Thanks thus far. Really appreciating this.

NEW SHORTLIST THREAD HERE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255287/

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose

5, 11, 15

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:16 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ad Thumbnail - Help Me Choose