Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Photo Layouts

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Layouts

I admit that I am one of those that absorb more than I tend to share. But hope to change when I feel I have something worth sharing. Really great to see lots of works shared. However there aren't much in the form of album/pressbook designs. We sell alot of these products especially pressbooks. We've learned alot in terms of layout designs over the years. Here's a recent one.... well not that recent. But I finally got some time to throw it onto our blog and thought, "Hey why not share with the good folks at FM".

We still love printed stuff. Old school that way....

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:33 PM
RSpears

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Layouts

nice design work. very clean

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:33 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Layouts

Well, most people here are photographers (like you) and not designers, so they donīt show their albums because they donīt focus on album design so much.

Sorry for the harsh words, Iīm German (and Germans tend to be not polite) and I got my master in visual communications.

Your layout is really bad. You miss one central point: working with a layout grid. Two examples: On spread 10, you have three differents width of white bars an on the right side it loks like the vertical bars are not aligned.

ON spread 11: At least the upper and lower border of the images are aligned, but on spread 10 you had 3 images with the sides cut off (sory, donīt kno the term) and on 11 you have three images with white space around them. You shouldnīt mix layouts randomly...
Back to the three images of spread 11, left side: it looks like the left border is smaller than the right border. Maybe you forgot the bleed, but this are things that shouldnīt happen.

Just think about some of this points. You are a great photographer, but not a book designer.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:18 AM
aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Layouts

hendrikm wrote:
Well, most people here are photographers (like you) and not designers, so they donīt show their albums because they donīt focus on album design so much.

Sorry for the harsh words, Iīm German (and Germans tend to be not polite) and I got my master in visual communications.

Your layout is really bad. You miss one central point: working with a layout grid. Two examples: On spread 10, you have three differents width of white bars an on the right side it loks like the vertical bars are not aligned.

ON spread 11: At least the upper and lower border of the images
...Show more
Can you show us some of your work? I get the points your saying but never caught my eye until I read your post. Id like to see the difference between "correct way" and his. (no being ass but curious)

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hendrikm
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Layouts

go to my site http://www.euerfotograf.de and choose the "Buch" section. You need to grab the corners to flip pages.
The samples are quite old and only in portrait format, since two years I only do squares. But as privacy is abig issue in Germany, I canīt show everything I want.

Oh, as this section of the site is quite old, you probably need flash

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Layouts

hendrikm wrote:

Sorry for the harsh words, Iīm German (and Germans tend to be not polite)and I got my master in visual communications.

Haha... I love this!

Thanks for your feedback. You are right, I am photographer first and album designer.... somewhere down the line probably behind BBQ. I like good constructive comments. It is what helps me improve. I think the misalignment that you see is likely optical illusions due to the angle of the shot. The tool we use has grids on it and alignment is something important.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your comments. Danke!

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Rytr
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Layouts

I like it, nice and clean, thanks for posting.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Layouts

Thanks Rytr & RSpears.

I guess like photography, album layout designs are pretty subjective too.

Would love to see more album/book designs but there are far and few between. Given such items are part of most photographer's offerings, it would be great to share ideas and creativity.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password