New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

codetalker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

(I hope this is the right place to post this. I also did a topic search and couldn't find any duplicates.)

My wife decided her mom needed a new point and shoot for Christmas, and since I'm the family camera "expert" (although I know absolutely nothing about p & s's), it's up to me to make a recommendation.

My mother-in-law is a bit old and not very tech savvy. Basically, we're looking for a "true" point and shoot, where she can turn on the camera and then take a nice photo. IS might be a bonus for her.

I know that Nikon, among others, make very nice cameras, but I'm much more familiar with Canon products. I'm going to check out the Canon web site for models and start doing some research, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

What's the budget?

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:41 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

There are so, so many P&S just from Canon alone. It isn't just camera features but colors...It also depends on how much you want to spend.

The one time I saw a bunch of women go ga-ga over a camera was the really slim Powershot bodies. This one looks like what they were excited about:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd780_is

and yes, it has IS. and its really slim. it was the gold one that they had in hand. Really not a bad looking camera, remember, looks are important!

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:46 PM
codetalker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

Thanks timpdx.
Surf Monkey - my budget would be toward the lower range, certainly less than $200.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus... they all make nice cameras. Try looking on B&H or Amazon for the point and shoot category, filter according to your budget, and then sort by highest reviews.

When it comes to the P&S category, your choices are similar to DSLRs/MILCs, in that stuff like sensor size (1/2.3" are cheaper, 1/1.7" are the 'nice' ones), zoom range, aperture range, flexibility of the rear screen, touchscreen and/or EVF, and other things like WiFi and GPS are all differentiators. RAW capability is largely limited to much more expensive cameras, and unlikely to be found (or be useful) on anything below $300, along with cameras with the larger sensor or wider apertures.

Mostly, though, image quality doesn't differ too much within the same generation; and you're likely looking at something with no EVF, a 1/2.3" sensor, maybe WiFi, maybe a touchscreen, and no more than a 5x zoom with a standard aperture range (F/3.5-5.6).

If there's a wishlist of features, consider a longer zoom, a touchscreen (particularly Canon's), and WiFi to be worth the price of an upgrade.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:29 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

The Canon ELPH 530 HS seems to have everything you could ask for at the price- 12x optical zoom, WiFi, Canon's 3.2" touch screen, and 1080p video, in a fairly small package for $138 shipped. It takes MicroSD cards, though Google lists it as shipping with an 8GB card, good enough for quite a few 10MP JPEG pictures. How's that?

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

I'd have a look at the SX270/280 HS as well.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM
codetalker
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Simple Canon point and shoot recommendation

Thanks to all for the input.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.