Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a9r-without-evf/

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

It would be nice if the thread title indicated that this is a fantasy camera, not even a rumor

Edit:

Thank you

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
peterk81

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

that is a5 not a9

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

I would love to see something like A7 WITHOUT built in EVF.Let it be optional and the camera alone cheaper.I think we'll see it soon.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:53 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

Peire wrote:
I would love to see something like A7 WITHOUT built in EVF.Let it be optional and the camera alone cheaper.I think we'll see it soon.

This line of thinking doesn't sit well with the general enthusiast shooting public at large, look at Olympus PENs vs their OMD line, or Panasonic GX series without EVF vs those that have it (or the G series).

The company is criticized for not having the EVF built-in, and that add-on EVFs are ugly/bulky/can get lost/cost more/etc.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:01 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

I would not want an LCD only camera now that EVFs have become so good. Their advantages trump LCDs for my use of MF glass, even with the added (minimum IMO) bulk.
There's an average of $150 CAD difference between the NEX6 and 5R locally; even if it was @250, I'd still go for the EVF.

But I do think there will be a future FF NEX that is EVF-less for the mid-market.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

dasrocket wrote:
I would not want an LCD only camera now that EVFs have become so good. Their advantages trump LCDs for my use of MF glass, even with the added (minimum IMO) bulk.
There's an average of $150 CAD difference between the NEX6 and 5R locally; even if it was @250, I'd still go for the EVF.

But I do think there will be a future FF NEX that is EVF-less for the mid-market.

I would just like the evf to be located at the side so it doesn't make the camera so much bigger.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

sebboh wrote:
I would just like the evf to be located at the side so it doesn't make the camera so much bigger.

In the OP's link, there is a A6R that looks like what you're describing.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:59 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

sebboh wrote:

A7r

NEX-7

If they did, they'd probably need to put a smaller rear LCD, or a different aspect ratio like the NEX-7, and/or perhaps make it fixed? Either way I think the camera would get wider and probably a little taller overall except without the hump.

Personally... this left eye dominant shooter prefers humps as they at least help keep greasy noses away from rear LCD screens.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

I think you guys are all so crazy for NOT wanting a wonderful EVF.
Back in the days of cameras like the MDA, Bessa-L, and Ikon SW, were you 5-7 the ones buying them?

With the exception of the almost-free Bessa L, they are all a waste of money. I'm not buying a light-tight box in 2013.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

I like an RF-like layout better than DSLR as well, and believe the big hump on the A7/r to be a design derivative -there is no physical relationship between the sensor and EVF size.
It seems like a concious attempt to distinguish these cameras from the Fuji /nex / GX-7 lines, as well as present an easier visual transition for DSLR converts.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

michaelwatkins wrote:

http://cdn.camerasize.com/cameras/33-4-1.png">

NEX-7

If they did, they'd probably need to put a smaller rear LCD, or a different aspect ratio like the NEX-7, and/or perhaps make it fixed? Either way I think the camera would get wider and probably a little taller overall except without the hump.

Personally... this left eye dominant shooter prefers humps as they at least help keep greasy noses away from rear LCD screens.

If you remember these from Brian Smith I do not think that Sony could have moved the EVF to the left side and kept the size as you would like. This is a comparison of the RX1 versus the A7r:

Rich

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

a matter of preference clearly, no right or wrong here, and thankfully these days we have options to accomodate most people. Keep supporting these cameras and we'll have even more options in the future, thats for sure.

my personal preference is the rangefinder layout (but with AF).

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:10 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

ISO1600 wrote:
I think you guys are all so crazy for NOT wanting a wonderful EVF.
Back in the days of cameras like the MDA, Bessa-L, and Ikon SW, were you 5-7 the ones buying them?

With the exception of the almost-free Bessa L, they are all a waste of money. I'm not buying a light-tight box in 2013.

I returned my RX1's EVF in favor of a "dumb" OVF in the hotshoe. They're really a lot of fun to use. Now, I probably wouldn't trade a good rangefinder or TTL OVF for a hotshoe OVF, but I do prefer it to an EVF, at least with a wide'ish, or maybe standard, lens.

That being said, if I were interested in an A6, or whatever, I'd probably use a mid tele with it to compliment my RX1, and I'd want an EVF on it for longer focal lengths.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:41 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

naturephoto1 wrote:
If you remember these from Brian Smith I do not think that Sony could have moved the EVF to the left side and kept the size as you would like. This is a comparison of the RX1 versus the A7r:

Rich

i'd be fine with them making it a little wider and reducing the size of the lcd to allow for a NEX-7 style finder.

Spyro P. wrote:
a matter of preference clearly, no right or wrong here, and thankfully these days we have options to accomodate most people. Keep supporting these cameras and we'll have even more options in the future, thats for sure.

my personal preference is the rangefinder layout (but with AF).

agreed, though my personal preference is the rangefinder layout but without the rangefinder (or AF).

douglasf13 wrote:
I returned my RX1's EVF in favor of a "dumb" OVF in the hotshoe. They're really a lot of fun to use. Now, I probably wouldn't trade a good rangefinder or TTL OVF for a hotshoe OVF, but I do prefer it to an EVF, at least with a wide'ish, or maybe standard, lens.

the thought of shooting this way chills my blood.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

cputeq wrote:
This line of thinking doesn't sit well with the general enthusiast shooting public at large, look at Olympus PENs vs their OMD line, or Panasonic GX series without EVF vs those that have it (or the G series).

The company is criticized for not having the EVF built-in, and that add-on EVFs are ugly/bulky/can get lost/cost more/etc.

Yes,but it's just me,not the general enthusiast shooting public.

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:36 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

After using the RX1 with EVF I am always conscious of it and the inherent fragility of the arrangement - to the point of buying a bag that can accommodate it standing upright.

It's made easier by it being a fixed lens camera. An ILC needs something much more robust as you handle the camera much more often in many more ways, in the course of tripod use, using larger lenses, adapters, battery grip, etc.

The RX1 adds tilt which is nice but given the needs in the 'functional specification' of the a7 cameras this is an excellent way to proceed. It needs a more industrial strength approach than the dainty RX1 deal. And Sony got the EVF exactly right, IMO, for these reasons:

. it's well-positioned for left and right eyed shooters,
. the rubber eye surround is larger and better stabilises against the eye socket,
. the EVF enclosure is exactly above the lens axis,
. there is good front relief for TS lenses and adapters at the front,
. it permits the use of a bright large LCD in a still tiny body,
. it's well-integrated and well-protected.

There is a deeper market reason to get the EVF right - this is Sony's main chance to win over the DSLR user group to EVF usage - they are a demanding segment and would not take to a peripheral or less robust arrangement.

The grip, which looks large is virtually identical to a standard DSLR grip apart from height. It is so good you read very little about half cases..and reviewers feel confident enough to wave it around one-handed.

I understand that people have favourite configurations, may like clean lines that can look better than they feel, and can be vain about how a camera looks to others. Also that Sony, as a innovator, is a juicy target for some folks to chuck rotten fruit at..but they do have a solid grasp of industrial design. This one is ergonomically sound at the DSLR level and is ready to go.

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:27 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

I have yet to HOLD the A7, but I think it looks fantastic, and it LOOKS like it will FEEL great.
I really don't understand why so many people are disgusted by it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RUMOR and FANTASY: Sony A9r without EVF

disgusted by a camera? yeah that's weird.
not dropping $3k on one though is much more understandable

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:39 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password