New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

JayCeePhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I currently own a 5D Mark II, and my family has opened a new window for me to upgrade cameras, or purchase another one. I have looked at different options, and have determined what is important to me, as listed below.

Important:
Noise Performance
Cross Type Focusing points
ISO Boost
Price

Now my questions are: How is the noise performance on each of them?

According to snapsort, and please, if you have another website where I can find better technical breakdowns of each camera, that would be great, it says that the 1Ds Mark II's noise performance is similar to the 5D Mark II's.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II

Do you all think this is true? I think that snapsort is a reliable resource when comparing cameras, but it has shown that cameras like the 1D Mark IV has horrible noise performance, and when I compared it to the Nikon D3, it's clear to me which camera to get if I'm looking at a high FPS and noise performing camera.

Please let me know what you think, and if you have same images to compare the lot, that would be great. What stumps me is that the 1DS Mark II is under $1,000 2nd hand, the 5D Mark II is around $1400, and the 5D Mark III is around $2400.

If I had the money to just blow on the 5D Mark III, I would, but I don't think it should be a luxury I should have.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

Or is snapsort just bad?

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

The 6D should be on your list.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I'm a manual focus landscaper and non-moving nature photographer. I sold my 1Ds2 to get the 5D2. Noise to me seems about the same. If I cared about high iso performance and AF, I would get the 5D3. As it is, I will probably sell my 5D2 to get the Sony A7r.

Since the Sony stands a decent chance to flood the market with used 5D2's and 5D3's, I would wait until Jan or Feb and pounce then.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

JayCeePhotog wrote:
I currently own a 5D Mark II, and my family has opened a new window for me to upgrade cameras, or purchase another one. I have looked at different options, and have determined what is important to me, as listed below.

Important:
Noise Performance
Cross Type Focusing points
ISO Boost
Price

Now my questions are: How is the noise performance on each of them?

According to snapsort, and please, if you have another website where I can find better technical breakdowns of each camera, that would be great, it says that the 1Ds Mark II's noise performance is similar to the 5D Mark II's.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II

Do you all think
...Show more

Why do you want the 1DsMII? What do you think it offers you that the 5DII doesn't and why are these things important in your photography?

If your primary interest is in operational speed and AF capability, you could look at something like a 7D. If your interest is in higher MP count, you get that from the 5D2.

The "horrible noise performance" notion is an indication that whoever you are getting your information from is perhaps less than reliable. There are differences in noise performance among these cameras, and they can be seen if you go looking for them - but the 1DsMII does not have "horrible" noise performance or anything close to it.

Of all the things that differentiate among these options, perhaps one of the very least significant to your photographs is any difference in noise.

Finally, it is quite possible to over-think these things. Yes, you can get a better AF system in other cameras - most of which you cannot afford, at least if you are looking at full frame - but what specific problem are you currently running into with AF? Not what problem an online review mentions, but what you encounter when using your current camera?

Dan

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

gdanmitchell wrote:
Why do you want the 1DsMII? What do you think it offers you that the 5DII doesn't and why are these things important in your photography?

If your primary interest is in operational speed and AF capability, you could look at something like a 7D. If your interest is in higher MP count, you get that from the 5D2.

The "horrible noise performance" notion is an indication that whoever you are getting your information from is perhaps less than reliable. There are differences in noise performance among these cameras, and they can be seen if you go looking for them -
...Show more

I am just looking at alternative gear. MP count isn't that significant to me when looking at these cameras. I do want FF for he depth of field, and of course, a lot of image quality qualities come with it.

Nothing is going to be missing in my opinion, besides the different navigation, and I am looking to go into a used camera store and trying these cameras out to compare the lot.

The only issue I encounter with my current camera is autofocusing, and the noise is fine for what I shoot IMO, and that is why I am looking deeply into the 1Ds Mark II as I read that the noise on it is comparable (if not near) the 5D Mark II. However, I am looking for good resources to see the comparison, before I try a real test.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

JMHO, but I *thought* I wanted a 1Ds2.

Bought it, didn't like the .jpg files (pretty well documented, I found out after the fact)... but one of the best RAW sensors of it's time.

Bought a 5d2 and never looked back. Hate the outer AF points, but that is an entirely different thread.

Please - no "why would you shoot .jpg with a "1" series..."

I am a full time pro and *only* shoot .jpg.

Aloha!

greg

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

gheller wrote:
JMHO, but I *thought* I wanted a 1Ds2.

Bought it, didn't like the .jpg files (pretty well documented, I found out after the fact)... but one of the best RAW sensors of it's time.

Bought a 5d2 and never looked back. Hate the outer AF points, but that is an entirely different thread.

Please - no "why would you shoot .jpg with a "1" series..."

I am a full time pro and *only* shoot .jpg.

Aloha!

greg

I hope you never complain about your gear...oh wait that's also another thread!

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

The 1Ds2 was a great camera in its day, but can't compete against the 5D2 or 1Ds3, and certainly the 6D and 5D3 are going to be superior to those other two.

I love the 1D-series bodies, but right now you would have to go to a 1DX to get something at the top of the game.

Go 5D3 or 6D.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:18 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

PS I see not need to go from a 5DII to a 1DsMII, based on what you have said so far.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:19 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

galenapass wrote:
PS I see not need to go from a 5DII to a 1DsMII, based on what you have said so far.

Well my reasoning for the 1Ds Mark II is because of the cross type focusing points, and the iso performance is similar to the 5DM2, and for the price, it's a great deal.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:31 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I wouldn't do it for the noise/high iso. We're talking 2004 technology Vs 2008, 16MP Vs 21MP. And an aging user interface and poor screen compared to 5D2.

You realise that the 1DS2 is limited to iso1600 native (with option to extend to iso3200)?

No continuous shooting boost (4fps). And it's a heavy brick.

Yes, it's weather resistant and the AF is improved, but that's mainly important for tracking moving subjects. For stationary subjects the centre point on the 5D2 is no slouch

Buy it as a second body if you like, but I can't see any reason to sell the 5D2.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:53 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

scottam10 wrote:
I wouldn't do it for the noise/high iso. We're talking 2004 technology Vs 2008, 16MP Vs 21MP. And an aging user interface and poor screen compared to 5D2.

You realise that the 1DS2 is limited to iso1600 native (with option to extend to iso3200)?

No continuous shooting boost (4fps). And it's a heavy brick.

Yes, it's weather resistant and the AF is improved, but that's mainly important for tracking moving subjects. For stationary subjects the centre point on the 5D2 is no slouch

Buy it as a second body if you like, but I can't see any reason to sell the 5D2.

I'm not looking to sell my 5DM2, I'm just looking to use it less. Even if subjects aren't moving, the 1DsM2 should do just as fine, and I am aware of the ISO boost, but as I said, reviews say that the ISO performance is similar to the 5DM2.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:08 AM
DreamInColor
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I've used both the 5D mk2 and the 1Ds mk2 extensively. For landscape shooting, both cameras get the job done. The user interface is much more intuitive on the 5D mk2, while I prefer the AF on the 1DS mk2. For my needs, the 1Ds mk2 is a little more versatile because of the AF. The LCD screen is far inferior on the 1Ds mk2, so if you're heavily dependent on the screen, the 5Dmk2 might be a better choice. Some of my best photos (RAW) have been taken with the 1Ds mk2 -- I really like the color I get from that camera. As for ISO, it's really not a priority for me with these two cameras. The 5D mk2 has higher ISO capabilities, but I tend to stay away from high ISO unless I'm shooting wildlife in low light situations, in which I'd opt for a different camera anyway.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I'd say 5D II above ISO 800 will pull away from the 1Ds II even at the pixel level. Resized to 1Ds II size, will give a sharper cleaner file even if noise were similar at native res.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'd say 5D II above ISO 800 will pull away from the 1Ds II even at the pixel level. Resized to 1Ds II size, will give a sharper cleaner file even if noise were similar at native res.

This ^^^^.

I shoot weddings with a 1DsII. I am moving on to a 5DmkIII this fall for iso availability.
Also the buffer for me is an issue. As in clearing it to a card.

For AF, the 1DsII rocks a 5dmkII. I also have a 7D. For weddings, in the reception or dark situations, the 7D is slightly ahead of 1DsII followed by the 5dmkII.

Does not mater if shooting 24-70L or primes.

1DsII is the same weight as a 1DX. Well - really-really close.

Nov 19, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

JayCee -- I responded on your other thread, but wanted to give a little different advice here after reading what you'd written there.

The 1Ds2 is a great camera, but very limited in ISO and a few other areas. I had one for quite a while, but sold it after getting a 5D2.

Since you want a 1D-style body without making a huge investment, I suggest the 1D3. It has pretty good ISO performance at 1600 and most of the modern UI such as larger LCD, self-cleaning sensor, MFA for your lenses, a better/lighter battery, and many other functions. They are going for around the same price as the 1Ds2.

But you really don't have much to lose buying the 1Ds2 either! It's a rocking machine and still kicks out impressive (nearly 17MP) images at ISO 100-400. If you see one in great shape for $800, why not jump on it?

Happy hunting!

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

yes kind of stunning that 1Ds2's can be had for less than 1k

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

The 1Ds2 is a wonderful camera and for some reason, I just can't part with it.

I have high ISO covered with a 6D and I use it for those occasions that require it.

But I use the 1Ds2 more often than the 6D in ordinary everyday use. It's bigger. It's heavier. And the battery life on the 1Ds2 sucks compared to the 6D, so I carry big heavy spares. But to me, it's worth it.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:58 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DS Mark II vs 5D Mark II

I seriously doubt that you can find a decent 5D3 for $2400, maybe $2700. I just bought a 1Ds3 with 9100 actuations for $2250 and am quite pleased with it. The 1Ds2 was quite the camera a few years back but the 5D2 is more advanced, so decide which features are more important to you. Why not upgrade your glass? I just bought a 50L for $1080 at B&H with $180 rebate and they matched the Canon rebate. I don't know what your subject matter consists of but there are plenty of used L's out there.

Nov 20, 2013 at 09:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.