Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

CF Card won't format?

Prevelige
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · CF Card won't format?

The antivirus software on my PC scanned my CF card when I went to upload images. After that, the card cannot be formatted by the camera. Efforts to format the card with the computer do not seem to resurrect the card. Any thoughts on how to bring it back, or should I send it back to transcend?

Bob

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:45 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · CF Card won't format?

Did you try a formatting utility like this one?

EBH

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Prevelige
• •
p.1 #3 · CF Card won't format?

Sorry, I should have given more info. I tried the formatting app on my PC, which seemed to work, but the card was unreadable to the camera, and then I tried the Transcend formatting app which simply said the card was write protected, and formatting failed. Any other thoughts?

Bob

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:12 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · CF Card won't format?

Perhaps the card just died at that time.
One last thing - did you test it with another computer/reader?

EBH

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:01 AM
C Parish
• •
p.1 #5 · CF Card won't format?

I agree with EB1

I have a reader that only works properly with certain cards. I have to use another reader for as disk cards.

Try the other reader and go from there.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Prevelige
• •
p.1 #6 · CF Card won't format?

I tried another reader, and another computer to format the card today. The app from Transcend still says the card is wrote protected. I guess it's bricked.

Now, I decide if I want to fight w Amazon for a replacement, as it was new at the end of August.

Thanks

Bob

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:32 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #7 · CF Card won't format?

Take your fight to the manufacturer. Retailers are not responsible for defective merchandise.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · CF Card won't format?

Try using a disk wiping program to write all zeros to the card. Then reformat in camera. I had a computer that screwed up cards. I ended up wiping every card I had and scrapped the old puter. No problems now.

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · CF Card won't format?

runamuck wrote:
Try using a disk wiping program to write all zeros to the card. Then reformat in camera. I had a computer that screwed up cards. I ended up wiping every card I had and scrapped the old puter. No problems now.

This technique cured a few "bricked" drives for me as well. With that said, transcend CS is very good about replacing troubled cards, although this one may not actually be defective, but suffered a funky format.

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password