Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...wee...

someguy1974

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

OK...so I sold this guy a camera almost a month ago. He says he took it on a trip with him and the focus system is giving him trouble. The problem is almost a month has passed and I don't have the money to repay him. He's only got about 10 posts and a '1' rating. I want to believe he's not trying to get one over on me and I don't want to screw the guy. Advice?

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

So your very first post here is about somebody who allegedly says your item is f'd up. And he also is a zero poster, or close to it. Wow. BTW, there is no such thing as a "1" rating here.

Anyway: What's "almost a month ago?" (some folks think that's 7 days). What were the terms on which you sold it to him? Did you give him a month to check it out? If indeed it's been 30 days, and you have evidence that the AF worked via pictures you've taken with it with various lenses, you may want to consider telling him to f'g "pound sand."

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM
someguy1974

p.1 #3 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

Yes, this is my first post, but it's not my primary account.

It has been 27 days...that qualifies as 'almost a month' in my book. *shrug*

I don't wanna' screw the guy....karma a stuff, you know. I'm thinking I might offer to help with the cost of the repair to the focus system or something.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

remove

Edited on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

well, the only question you have to answer for yourself is this: how generous are you?

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

If you sell a secondhand camera and it is functioning perfectly at the time of sale then there is no obligation to take it back and offer a refund.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

You may suggest he takes a rocket blower to the AF sensor slits
Accumulated dust can throw off the AF in a heartbeat. The D300
was famous for this, you don't mention what body but they're all
susceptible. Crap could have dislodged in transit, especially if you
used the highly trained penalty shot kickers UPS employs.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mirandamember
• •
p.1 #8 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

Are you confident the purchaser understands how to use the camera? I have had friends who buy new cameras and complain that there must be something wrong with the camera because so many of their pics are out of focus only to find out they don't understand how to set and control what the body is doing.

Camera bodies are like women. Complicated.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

mirandamember wrote:
Are you confident the purchaser understands how to use the camera? I have had friends who buy new cameras and complain that there must be something wrong with the camera because so many of their pics are out of focus only to find out they don't understand how to set and control what the body is doing.

+1

Also, you have no way of knowing he didn't drop the camera or something in the four weeks he's had it...

A few years ago, someone on this forum bought a telephoto lens from me; he used it to shoot hockey games for three months, and when the season was over he decided the lens wasn't sharp enough and wanted a refund... in other words, he tried to scam me for a free rental. Maybe your guy just wanted a camera for his trip, and now he no longer needs it.

If a buyer didn't let me know of a potential issue within a few days of receiving it, then it's their problem and not mine.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 09:57 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

To add to this, once they got it into their hands who knows what they could have done with it? So there is no way I'd take it back. Did they try and open it up? Swap parts? Hack it? Drop it? Take it to the beach and drop it in the sand? Anything is possible.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #11 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

A buyer should check out an item ASAP after receipt and notify the seller within a reasonable time frame (like 3-5 days max) if any problems are detected.

After 27 days, my sympathy/goodwill factor drops to about zero unless there are some very unusual mitigating circumstances.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:33 AM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #12 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

mirandamember wrote:

Camera bodies are like women. Complicated.

Embarrassing story - a few years ago I bought a 1D MK3 from a seller on this site. It was my first exposure to the 1D series. When it arrived, I tried to focus with a half depression of the shutter button but nothing happened. I contacted the seller who told me to reset all of the custom functions and my issue would disappear. He was right. I can attest that operator error could be the problem.

IMHO a month is too long to wait to complain.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:14 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #13 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

Ho1972 wrote:
A buyer should check out an item ASAP after receipt and notify the seller within a reasonable time frame (like 3-5 days max) if any problems are detected.

After 27 days, my sympathy/goodwill factor drops to about zero unless there are some very unusual mitigating circumstances.

+1

Whenever I sell a piece of gear I always like to "close out" a transaction. I ask the buyer to check the item when it arrives and make sure that everything is as described and that it meets their expectations. I'll ask them to send me a PM to let me know if they are satisfied or if there are any issues that need to be resolved. Likewise if I buy a piece of preowned gear I'll do that same thing for the seller. If I didn't hear from a buyer until several weeks after they had received the item I don't know that I'd be very accommodating unless there were some sort of unusual circumstances.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Advice...sold camera...guy saying there's a problem...weeks later

kwhaley29 wrote:
+1

Whenever I sell a piece of gear I always like to "close out" a transaction. I ask the buyer to check the item when it arrives and make sure that everything is as described and that it meets their expectations. I'll ask them to send me a PM to let me know if they are satisfied or if there are any issues that need to be resolved. Likewise if I buy a piece of preowned gear I'll do that same thing for the seller. If I didn't hear from a buyer until several weeks after they had received the
...Show more

I agree PLUS if the buyer posts positive feedback about the sale then a month or even greater than 7 days responds that it is "broke" then tough nookies!!!!
I can undertsand positive feedback without an immediate test but as I stated..3 days is my "buy back" limit(unless it is an FM'r I know)!
Good luck.
And as 1 poster states, I have had buyers call me after the sale a complain about operation and it ends up being "operator error".
I don't hold that against the buyer but it IS his responsibility to figure out how to operate the equipment.
Dan

Nov 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password