Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

signo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Does anybody tried the Reikan Focal Pro? Is the best one? I searching for one and I would like to have some opinions.

Thank you

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167490/0?keyword=reikan#11132039

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:26 PM
signo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Thanks

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:40 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Have you tried any of the free methods? Either just shooting a target and looking at results or dot-tune?

I used Focal Pro extensively with my Canon gear. Haven't felt like Focal was needed for Nikon. I still focus adjust, it's just very simple to do manually with Nikon gear, 'cuz the focus accuracy rocks.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:53 PM
spineguy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

can i please get some feedback..

i bought the pro version to fine tune my nikon D3s and 70-200mm..

the connection and how the program runs is fantastic… easy as pie..

Im a concerned with the "quality" number it produced when it found my adjustment number (-14).

the number on the far left is only 800 at its highest… that to me doesn't sound very sharp.

can anyone that has focal tell me what it found on the left hand side for your calculated best focus?

just seems low… thanks!

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:29 PM
fetopher
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

I've been testing my Nikon 85mm f/1.8G with FoCal lately. Here's my latest chart. Peak quality measure north of 1700.

That said, I believe I read somewhere the quality measure is relative and should not be used to compare one lens to another. I should also note, this lens is one I'm not exactly happy about, as seen in this thread.

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

I asked them if you could compare quality between lenses with their charts and they said NO.
I was hoping to compare lenses with it myself.

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:32 PM
fetopher
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Here's the bit about not comparing quality numbers between lenses.

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:18 PM
spineguy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

hmmmm…. that would explain the low numbers cause i swear it was higher with 1.8.

SO… maybe for a different thread but is there any device that measures how sharp a lens is?

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Humanoid
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

fetopher wrote:

I've been testing my Nikon 85mm f/1.8G with FoCal lately. Here's my latest chart. Peak quality measure north of 1700.

That said, I believe I read somewhere the quality measure is relative and should not be used to compare one lens to another. I should also note, this lens is one I'm not exactly happy about, as seen in this thread.

Whew you almost ran out of running room. Are you stil able to acquire infinity with that af fine tune setting.

Ray

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Second time this topic has come up, second time I'm entertaining the idea of it.

But being a little old... I'm hesitant. I use 6 pieces of glass, some with a tele on them.. When I look at EXIF if doesn't provide precise FL numbers.. So I'm not sure what I'd really be getting out of this purchase.

Yes, the adjustments would be there for the bare glass per body. But what about once the teles are attached? The whole thing would go out the window from what I've been able to understand on their site.. And, I find it aggravating period I should have to take a $5,000.00 body, attach a $1,900.00 (or more) lens to it and then it requires an offset to obtain correct focus.. Seems a little maddening.

Anyone using this system with teles attached during the testing? Or even without, how are your numbers if you set the offset with a bare lens, and then attach the tele later?

If there is really value in this, I'd be in.. But I'm skeptical about the whole procedure.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:56 AM
fetopher
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

The fine tuning value is stored in your camera for each lens, so you have the ability to set different values for each lens.

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:48 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

And the camera should store the lens with tc attached as a completely separate value, and recognize it in the future as such. You'll have to tune twice of course.

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:12 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Three questions:

1) Should I buy the pro version? I'm only interested in using it for AF fine tune. I just want to get in, adjust, and get out.

2) I need to calibrate specifically for shooting wide open, or thereabouts. The two lenses I want to use this for are both struggling to hit where I want from 1.4 to f2. Anything else seems to be good, or close enough. Will FoCal be effective for this?

3) How does AF-S vs AF-C come into play here, or at all? I'm usually in AF-S using the AF assist beam on my SB-910.

Thanks so much!

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:44 AM
fetopher
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

The pro version add many features. The biggest for me was the ability to save reports so I can review data in more detail and review it at a later date.

The pro version also allows you to set the aperture you'd like to test at. Otherwise, it defaults to wide open with no ability to change it.

The tests are run in AF-S mode.

I hope this helps.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:45 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

fetopher wrote:
The pro version add many features. The biggest for me was the ability to save reports so I can review data in more detail and review it at a later date.

The pro version also allows you to set the aperture you'd like to test at. Otherwise, it defaults to wide open with no ability to change it.

The tests are run in AF-S mode.

I hope this helps.

Yeah that covers it. Not sure I need the pro version then. Thank you so much!

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:59 AM
bbryz30

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

I upgraded from the Plus to Pro version mainly for the Target Optimisation feature. On my Nikon D700 you can only change settings manually during the tests so any slight movement of the camera while doing this can throw off the results. This feature compensates for this so it was worth the upgrade for me.

Jan 17, 2014 at 05:17 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

Well I was about to buy it, only to find the D800 uses USB mini B. I don't have one of those cables. So I ordered one from Amazon. I guess the D4 has the same connector. USB3 is cool, but new connector caught me off guard.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM
tzic

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

This is very important. I am not sure how accurate the results are without re-optimizing every time you touch it to micro adjust. I have the same problem. And in their web site they carefully hide it by just saying that Nikon cams cannot use their auto mode 100% They don't mention that when you touch it camera looses optimization point. I opened a support ticket for this and they replied a week later that I should by the next version that offers re-optimizatipn every time you touch the camera

bbryz30 wrote:
I upgraded from the Plus to Pro version mainly for the Target Optimisation feature. On my Nikon D700 you can only change settings manually during the tests so any slight movement of the camera while doing this can throw off the results. This feature compensates for this so it was worth the upgrade for me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:22 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens Calibration-Reikan Focal Pro

John Skinner wrote .........And, I find it aggravating period I should have to take a $5,000.00 body, attach a $1,900.00 (or more) lens to it and then it requires an offset to obtain correct focus.. Seems a little maddening..

John it's all down to manufacturing tolerances. As we know with cameras and lenses even a minute amount can throw a combo out of focus.

This is an interesting read :
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

As far as Reikan Focal Pro is concerned. Sometimes it works great for me and other times not so. You really must have consistent, good, conditions to fine tune in otherwise that can definitely affect the conclusion.

My 300/2.8 VRII was fine tuned and it had a really tough time trying to come up with a figure. Instead of the usual 20 or so measurements I ended up inputting nearly 50, it came up with -8 but that was clearly wrong and I find that 0 is still the best & sharpest for that camera.

Jan 25, 2014 at 08:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password