Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

I have the equipment and could use some suggestions. I have some families to photograph with their dogs. I would like to use backlighting and use off camera flash to balance.

I have a boom that I'll attach the flash and modifier.

Should I use a shoot through umbrella, a softbox shooting with the diffuser panel or shoot with the softbox diffuser panel off and bouncing back into the silver of the softbox? I have a several sizes of umbrellas and 24x24 softbox and 43" Octobox. What size do you suggest for family of 4 and dogs?

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

For groups the priority is usually even coverage. I'd be looking at an umbrella or your 43" octa. If the location is picked right you may not even need any additional lighting.

Do some testing with the camera on a tripod and standing in different areas of the frame.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:38 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

Backlighting with sunlight means the natural frontal fill from skylight will be quite diffuse (soft), so my choice would probably be to use direct flash or my 28" Apollo soft box without diffusion panel in order to get good definition.

Edited on Nov 18, 2013 at 06:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:41 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

Its 4-5 people and 1 - 2 dogs at the max. Like this weekend, it was mom, dad and 2 young kids and the family dog.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

BrianO wrote:
Backlighting with sunlight means the natural frontal fill from skylight will be quite diffuse (soft), so my choice would probably be to use direct flash or my 28" Apollo soft box without diffusion panel in order to get good definition.

The apollo stuggles to cover even one person full length and can manage two people waist up at push. For a group something that sends light out wide and even is the ticket.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

Mark_L wrote:
...The apollo stuggles to cover even one person full length and can manage two people waist up at push.

That would depend on the light-to-subject distance and angle. Since I've done it, I know it works. If it doesn't work the way you've done it, fine, but I said "I" would do it that way.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

BrianO wrote:
Backlighting with sunlight means the natural frontal fill from skylight will be quite diffuse (soft),

and cool.

Warm (backlit sunlight)
Neutral (electronic flash)
Cool (open skylight fill)

Not only are you trying to balance exposure, you've got color issues for balancing (or creative utilization) to be aware of as you orient your subject/lighting.

I've wondered about using a large reflector (white muslin/vinyl/sheet) to kick that warm backlighting for warm fill to help with both the exposure and to offset the color of the cool skylight. I haven't shot people in forever, much less groups. so this is only conjecture on my part at how effective it might be @ kickin' the backlighting. Likely, more practical to just use flash for fill and color balance though.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:02 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

RustyBug wrote:
I've wondered about using a large reflector (white muslin/vinyl/sheet) to kick that warm backlighting for warm fill to help with both the exposure and to offset the color of the cool skylight. I haven't shot people in forever, much less groups. so this is only conjecture on my part at how effective it might be @ kickin' the backlighting.

I don't have any large reflector panels at the moment, but I've used them in the past and they can be pretty effective. In addition to white fabric, I've used both silver and gold metallic, and all have their place. The Lastolite twist-to-fold kind and models from California Sunbounce are on my short list of products for next spring. One problem with them, especially the metallics, is that they can cause the subjects to squint in bright conditions, but it's not a deal killer.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:32 AM
hvu2012

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestion for lighting family outdoors

For me, if it's early in the morning when the sun is in low angle and soft, i would use speedlites on camera (no diffuser), or a large reflector(quite expensive and you need assistant to hold it).
A 60" umbrella (shoot thru) will work well too but very clumsy situation.

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password