Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Noise

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Noise

Last week I had the opportunity to take candids at a family wedding (we had a paid photographer for the shoots). It was a real low light event and I was shooting at 3200 ISO. The photos are really noisy - much noisier than the samples I have seen online for the 5dII. Most likely those were taken at 3200 ISO but were not taken in low light. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software that does a better job at removing noise than PS. Seems like it doesn't work so well.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:11 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Noise

Imagenomic Noiseware
Topaz Denoise
Noise Ninja
Nik Dfine

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Noise

The current NR king is Topaz DeNoise as tested against 7 others. It removes the most noise while keeping the most detail.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Noise

do you have a URL for the test?

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Noise

It's on my machine. I did the tests.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Noise

I too would recommend Topaz for the situation that Norman has. It has a banding removal function that does a pretty good job on the banding noise that tends to show up on 5D2 high-ISO/dark/under-exposed shots.

That said, I think I must have a pretty decent copy of the 5D2 since I rarely notice severe banding noise unless I really go looking for it, and that goes up to about 6400 ISO. Lightroom (4) or ACR (CS6) noise removal does the job for me in the majority of cases.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #7 · Noise

Thanks everyone for your responses. My pics look like colored sand, zoomed in. Quite a few were somewhat dark, because people were dancing, moving, etc so I had to have a 180 shutter speed. Should have rented a faster lens. Was using a Contax 645N adapted (slower) lense and a 70-200 F4. An extra stop makes a lot of difference.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Noise

It would be helpful if you could post a sample or even give us access to a throw-away raw file with the noise.

As I said, I have some pretty dark and high-ISO shots and they are reasonably recoverable using just the noise reduction in ACR or LR. For dark and unimportant areas, it can sometimes be as easy as just darkening the shadows until they go black.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
JimboCin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Noise

I have tried all of them too, and agree that Topaz is the best ...

that is, it WAS the best. It is now bettered by the noise reduction in DxO Optics Pro 9 PRIME.

Look here.

There is a fully functional free download available:
http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/download

Two issues with DxO Pro 9 and PRIME:

- It costs $199 for the full ELITE edition through November 20, then its $299.

- On my computer, it takes anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes for PRIME to process a single image (there is an exceptionally small crop window that allows the effect to be viewed in 10 seconds or so).

So I can imagine for most people and most applications realistically Topaz is still the best (within reason).

Jim

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Noise

JimboCin wrote:
that is, it WAS the best. It is now bettered by the noise reduction in DxO Optics Pro 9 PRIME. Jim

Do you have a link to honest, undoctored samples?

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #11 · Noise

Paul Mo wrote:
Do you have a link to honest, undoctored samples?

Thanks.

Just download the free trial and you can test it yourself.

Jim

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Noise

No thanks. I don't want it anywhere near my computer without seeing results first.

Thanks again.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #13 · Noise

No problem.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Noise

Some are more tolerant of noise. For me any noise I can see at 100% is objectionable. I use Topaz and think it works pretty well. I will sacrifice detail to get clean images and for my 5d3, Iso 1600 is about max and less on dark images.

I never had a 5D2, but my 1dsmk3 which was pretty close was topped out at ISO800.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Noise

ben egbert wrote:
Some are more tolerant of noise. For me any noise I can see at 100% is objectionable.

One of the things to consider in applying NR is the final output and scale. For example if I intend to serve up cropped 1300x900 (bout 30% scale) digital images on the web then I'm like you - zero tolerance. If it's more like full image 800x600 or 640x480 (about 12% scale) then most noise isn't detectable anyway. If the output is to be print then NR isn't very critical. Most 6,400 ISO images from the GH2 appear to have zero noise in an 8x12 print a meter away - even with only lite NR applied in ACR alone - which is probably the worst NR on the market BTW.

So intended output counts for a lot.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Noise

JimboCin wrote:
I have tried all of them too, and agree that Topaz is the best ...

that is, it WAS the best. It is now bettered by the noise reduction in DxO Optics Pro 9 PRIME.

Look here.

There is a fully functional free download available:
http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/download

Two issues with DxO Pro 9 and PRIME:

- It costs $199 for the full ELITE edition through November 20, then its $299.

- On my computer, it takes anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes for PRIME to process a single image (there is an exceptionally small crop window that allows the effect to be viewed in 10 seconds or
...Show more

I can download it and put it to the test on some SLR/C files on my laptop ... should only take about 3 hours per image on my old laptop.

WOW ... really 15-20 minutes per image. Obviously not oriented for event / production work. I'll give it a go I'm sure I can shoot the SLR/C @ max ISO 800 in low light. Oughta be a torture test of sorts. Actually, here it is with outdoor night band 1D II N @ 3200 shots first. No adjustments of any kind to program settings or file other than selecting no NR, High NR or PRIME NR (at defaults).

I'm not seeing any diff between HIGH vs. PRIME ... probably operator error. Not seeing any 15 minute processing time either. Possible that PRIME is not functioning on this machine/OS due to RAM or 32 bit limits ... just guessing, but I see no diff yet ... will continue to see what I can learn.

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Noise

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Noise

Multiple tweaks and still need to learn more @ how the play with each other @ first go round, but here is what I came up with tonight so far.

Downsized and 100% crop.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #19 · Noise

Great example Rusty Bug. Looks like it does not get so blurry with the NR. You first picture is just what mine look like with the noise.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:05 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Noise

I see a pretty huge difference between #2 and #3 images in post #16. Neither one SEEM as good as Topaz DeNoise - but I would need the original RAW to be certain.

To see the difference just do Open Image In New Tab for each one and flip back and forth. PRIME has WAY less noise than HIGH with about the same amount of blurring.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password