Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

How to respond to a discount request?

Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · How to respond to a discount request?

D. Diggler wrote:
Tell her to try that line at Walmart. Try that at the car dealership. Try that at the insurance agent.

C'mon people at least try!!!

www.nissancollegegrad.com
www.gmcollegediscount.com
www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/college-grad-program.aspx‎;

Sep 12, 2011 - [See U.S. News's 2012 Best Colleges rankings] ... Car and insurance companies offer student and new grad discounts because they know ...

www.statefarm.com Insurance Auto‎
You'll automatically rack up auto insurance discounts as you qualify for them with ... The savings last even after you graduate from college, until you turn 25

And at Wal-Mart the grad can get the employee discount!!!

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:06 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · How to respond to a discount request?

No.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:10 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #3 · How to respond to a discount request?

D. Diggler wrote:
Tell her to try that line at Walmart. Try that at the car dealership. Try that at the insurance agent.

Just on the side:
-won't work
-works every time
-works

Everything is based on discounts (even Walmart, but just nog negotiable). They will try to get discounts for everything.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.2 #4 · How to respond to a discount request?

I get a lot of this request.

First, I would explain and try to make them understand that this is an investment on their special day.

Second, if they are on a budget then I would work the right amount of hours to cover the basic and to create a story for the day. So hourly rate works a lot on my case.

Third, just let them go, do not under sell yourself because then they will tell their friends to do the same to get you at a low cost. And they will come back to you say sorry I did not hire you, there was another that did it for $500, but then they were not happy with the final work from the other photographer after the wedding.

So keyword here "It is an investment"

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · How to respond to a discount request?

Micky Bill wrote:
C'mon people at least try!!!

I bet you never pay full retail.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

byCalin

p.2 #6 · How to respond to a discount request?

Here are some techniques:

1) I know I will be booked on that date at full price so unfortunately I can not offer you a discount
2) I can not discount the price, but I can offer you more hours of coverage (do not offer stuff that cost you!!!)
3) If I offer you a discount, that would not be fair to my other clients who pay full price.
4) If they say they found someone else, ask them if they really like his/her work...they don't, otherwise they would not be talking to you!!! They want you so be firm!!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:50 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #7 · How to respond to a discount request?

Photographers as a whole I think are suffering from market over-saturation displaisia. I just had a couple come to me and told me what their expected budget was and they ultimately went 2.5 times over that amount to book us. It's amazing what happens when you stand up for yourself. You'll never book them all, but the quality of your weddings will skyrocket the more and more you respect yourself.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #8 · How to respond to a discount request?

cineski wrote:
Photographers as a whole I think are suffering from market over-saturation displaisia.

And when you have photographers advising clients to go to mpix to get their files printed (like in this thread), it's got to have an effect in the client's mind where they equate our output with pennies. It's a mixed message.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · How to respond to a discount request?

TheGE wrote:
Gee that couple's in for a rude awakening if they think because they don't have money the working world will drop its prices.

You could do the Bambi Cantrell "Oh I'd love to but I just can't" But here's a few other ways I've seen it done.

Feign naivety to get them to understand their request isn't reasonable:
"I don't understand. You're looking to hire a wedding photographer, is that right?"

Backhanded way of saying "you gotta be kidding me":
"Oh... I get it! Fred put you up to this, didn't he? That rascal. You tell him he almost got me."

Equate price with quality:
"You want
...Show more

This reply wins the internets.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password