Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How to respond to a discount request?

camerausername
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to respond to a discount request?

I received an inquiry for a Saturday wedding in June and he/she requested a discount because he/she just graduated from college. Is there a polite way to decline and inform them of the value of Saturday weddings in June, or just a polite way to decline? This is the first time I've encountered a request like this.

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to respond to a discount request?

I would offer some free prints instead and make clear there is a high demand for photographers in that season, thus it's impossible to lower the price. Most of them will be very happy if you can do some nice free prints .

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:16 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to respond to a discount request?

There's not much to it other than to say "I'm sorry, we don't discount our services." If you'd really like to get another one on the books at this stage, or if it's a wedding you'd really like to shoot (great couple, really nice venue, etc.), you can consider dropping stuff from your package to help fit their budget. Don't discount, though.

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to respond to a discount request?

I was just in an inquiry where the mom proposed that I give them a discount if her friends daughter (getting married the week before) booked me as well. That was a new one! Anyway, I go into movable components, like the engagement shoot (for free), the second shooter, time. You should never have a negative, blanket statement that you don't give discounts. Always curtail it into giving them something for free etc...

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:03 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to respond to a discount request?

Gee that couple's in for a rude awakening if they think because they don't have money the working world will drop its prices.

You could do the Bambi Cantrell "Oh I'd love to but I just can't" But here's a few other ways I've seen it done.

Feign naivety to get them to understand their request isn't reasonable:
"I don't understand. You're looking to hire a wedding photographer, is that right?"

Backhanded way of saying "you gotta be kidding me":
"Oh... I get it! Fred put you up to this, didn't he? That rascal. You tell him he almost got me."

Equate price with quality:
"You want my best work, don't you?"

Enter negotiation if you're so inclined:
"What were you looking to pay?"

Offer a payment plan.

Refer them to someone they can afford.

Refer them to someone they can afford who'll give you a little token of their appreciation in return.

Downsell an associate photographer.

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:30 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to respond to a discount request?

Donīt lower the price. You can give them more for the same price (prints/esession), but stick to the number.

If they really need a lower price, they have to give something to, like signing a model release for advertising.

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to respond to a discount request?

I remember last year getting a call from a friend who I've known since high school who wanted me to shoot her wedding. I met with her mom, friend, and her fiancee. I sat down in their house, and the first thing anyone said was her mom saying, "so what discount are we getting from you?". Kinda set the tone for the rest of the meeting.

I offered an engagement session and a couple other things, but luckily they decided to go with another photographer.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:09 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to respond to a discount request?

An initial "inquiry" asking for a discount receives no discount at all. If they don't like the price I'm sure there are many other photographers within their budget. I would be they are asking EVERY photographer they contact for a discount just because it's easy to ask for from a computer keyboard and copy and paste.

Now if they already had the consultation and asked, there maybe a slight consideration on what products can be removed from the table to lower their cost.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Littleguy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to respond to a discount request?

Learn to say "no"

http://zenhabits.net/say-no/

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:28 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to respond to a discount request?

Bambi's "I wish I could, but...." works really well.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to respond to a discount request?

hendrikm wrote:
Donīt lower the price. You can give them more for the same price (prints/esession), but stick to the number.

If they really need a lower price, they have to give something to, like signing a model release for advertising.

Yeah.. no. Then you are saying if the bride is hot, she can get a discount because you want to use her photos for advertising. Pretty much my contract says I can use their photos for advertising. I do not need a model release.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:50 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to respond to a discount request?

Depends on how badly you need/want the money and how likely you feel that you could book the date at your full quote.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:01 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to respond to a discount request?

Not a wedding photographer, but I would say:

I'm so sorry I can't offer you a discount, but that is one of my most requested weekends of the year and I have to charge enough to keep my business open. For a February weekend, I would have a little wiggle room. I would love to photograph your wedding if you are still interested. If I am above your budget, however, I may be able to assist you in finding someone within your price range (if you can and want to, of course).

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to respond to a discount request?

If the subject comes up after the initial inquiry, I usually reply with something like, "my prices are already discounted as low as I can go to compete with like-quality and delivered products offered by other local professional photographers... ".

Regardless of how the first inquiry comes across, here is what the potential clients get right off the bat...

Hi ##### ,

Congratulations on your engagement! I am available ##### !

As far as pricing goes, I like to keep things extremely simple for my clients. This is why I offer an all-in-one full-day digital wedding package. The full-day digital package is $##### and you can see everything included on my (linked) pricing page.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have at this time, or schedule a date to meet and chat. To answer your questions better, the following info may be very helpful to me.

Where and when will you and the wedding party be prepping?
How many are in the
...Show more

This gets them talking. That's my goal. 99.9% of the time, I get a response within minutes. The snowball rolls from there. It's all how you handle the initial inquiry. Become someone they WANT to talk to.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:57 PM
cbres00
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to respond to a discount request?

"It wouldn't be fair to all the other clients who have paid full price."

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to respond to a discount request?

cbres00 wrote:
"It wouldn't be fair to all the other clients who have paid full price."

I use this one dressed up that my pricing in open and honest blah blah

Another good Bambi response is "ok, what would you like me not to do/take out?" (use with caution, you could end up with a peak June Saturday with reduced coverage, no albums etc!)

Justifications around 'to keep my business open' etc. are very weak plus no one said you had the right to make a nice living photographing people's weddings.

I do often wonder if couples think about how a photog feels on their wedding day and how motivated they feel to give everything knowing this was the cheap couple who jumped right in about discounts and price.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to respond to a discount request?

camerausername wrote:
I received an inquiry for a Saturday wedding in June and he/she requested a discount because he/she just graduated from college.

Tell her to try that line at Walmart. Try that at the car dealership. Try that at the insurance agent.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to respond to a discount request?

I'll give you 25% off and shoot with 25% less effort.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:52 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to respond to a discount request?

Just ask them if they'll agree to a contractual agreement that states you'll give them a discount if they agree to pay you the full amount plus interest after they get a job with their fancy degree . Seriously though, there's some great responses above, but I always tell people like this that we get hired to create what is seen on our websites. We deliver what's on our website. However, in order to deliver this, it requires complete dedication so if they're not interested in hiring us at 100% capacity we simply can't help them. Or just bluntly say no.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:13 AM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to respond to a discount request?

I don't think you have to give them some sort of drawn-out explanation, I'd just say "I wish I could (give you a discount), but since June XX is so popular, I'm simply unable to offer discounts for that date."

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password